Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-m tip: Playback quick-zoom-out feature

This is a tip to quickly zoom in and out on images in playback mode on the K-m.

The default setting requires a lot of scrolling with the rear control-dial.
In the default playback mode, the control dial will zoom in by steps of x2 -> x4 -> x8 -> x16, so you must turn the wheel many times to get to maximum magnification and back to full-size (x1)

This tip reduces all that scrolling.

1. Setting quick-zoom-IN:
- press [MENU] button
- go to [>] (playback) tab
- go to [2] page
- go to "Playback display method"
- choose "Quick Zoom"
- there are options "Off, x2, x4, x8, x16". "x2" is useless to see any more detail than x1, while x16 requires too much panning after zooming in. Setting to "x4" or "x8" allows you to quickly zoom in, without having to pan too much. "x4" is works best for me.

2. Setting quick-zoom-OUT:
Unfortunately, "Quick Zoom" setting only applies to zoom-in, not zoom-out.

So, when you are zoomed in to "x16" magnification, you still must scroll out "x16" -> "x8" -> "x4" -> "x2" -> "x1". If you do it quickly, you will scroll past "x1" and end up in thumbnail-view (which I usually do), so then you need to scroll back to "x1". That's 6 scrolls when I do it.

The easy way to jump back to "x1" (when you are zoomed-in)? Just press [TRASH] button! It doesn't delete the image, as you would expect. Instead, it jumps back to "x1"!

In summary:
- zooming-in to max mag is reduced from 4 steps to 2~3.
- zooming-out to full-view is reduced from 4~6 steps to 1.

05-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #2

On the K200D, both of the above apply, and the OK button can be used instead of the Trash button. Does OK work on the K-m as well?
05-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
On the K200D, both of the above apply, and the OK button can be used instead of the Trash button. Does OK work on the K-m as well?
The "ok" button does the trick on the K20 as well
05-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The "ok" button does the trick on the K20 as well
Heh, heh, oops. "OK" button does also have the same function, didn't know that until now.

Thanks for the tip Quension and Jewelltrail.

I never did "RTFM" for the K-m, only checking it on the rare occasion that an operation or function really stumps me. (That's a testament to the ease-of-use of the K-m rather than my cleverness.)

D.