Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-m tip: quick-disable SR for tripod use

When using and SR body on a tripod (or any stationary support), the SR function should be turned off, otherwise it can induce unwanted motion blur.

K20D and K200D have dedicated hardware switches to turn SR on/off. However, K-m requires a scrolling through software menus to enable/disable SR. It requires 4~10 button-presses, so it's not as convenient to do.

On the K-m, when I turn off SR for tripod use, I often forget to turn it back on when I remove the body from the tripod.

The simple way to turn SR on/off automatically is use "Drive-Mode" dedicated button on 4-way controller to set "Self-Timer". Self-Timer mode automatically disables SR. When you turn off self-timer, it renables SR.

(Same applies to "Remote-control" drive modes.)

Then you don't need to remember to turn SR on and off on a tripod.

05-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
K20D and K200D have dedicated hardware switches to turn SR on/off. However, K-m requires a scrolling through software menus to enable/disable SR. It requires 4~10 button-presses, so it's not as convenient to do.
You can do it in 2 button press if you press OK, then select SR mode, then rotate the dial to change the setting.

The drive modes above 2 sec all remove automatically SR on Pentax cameras, not just the K-m and K200D. They also perform a mirror lock-up.

It's true in general that SR should be turned off on a tripod but I don't think it matters much for relatively high shutter speed (for a tripod), let's say above 1/10s.
05-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave9t5 Quote
The simple way to turn SR on/off automatically is use "Drive-Mode" dedicated button on 4-way controller to set "Self-Timer". Self-Timer mode automatically disables SR. When you turn off self-timer, it renables SR.
that's what I do on the K20D and K200D as well,
self-timer / MLU is recommended anyway, when shooting from a tripod.

I don't remember if I touched the SR switch at all, on any of my cameras
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, the MLU + SR-off on self timer was a stroke of design brilliance. I don't know WTF Canon was thinking, but to get mirror lockup (technically mirror pre-fire) on my camera I have to enable Custom Function 12 and then hit the shutter once to open the mirror, and once to fire the shutter. Pretty annoying...

05-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the informative post. I've never recognized a problem wtih leaving SR on while using a tripod - now i know why. I was using the 2 sec timer which turned it off for me. And the good thing about the 2 sec timer is the first time you forget, you quickly get reminded of the timer when you try to take a normal picture.

Here's a quote from "awaldram" poster on dreview forum saying he's also experienced bluriness with the K20 when using SR on a monopod.

QuoteQuote:
Its was mainly about exposure and SR I found with the k10d I needed to keep shutter speeds up and iso's below iso1250 sr on even on monopod.

With the k20d iso is less important you can push it to 3200 without to much issue but having SR on when on the monopod was causing slightly blurry images.

awaldram
Thanks goes to the quoted poster for this info!!

So when using a monopod, i'm not likely to want to use a 2 second delay, so its back to the SR switch or menu.
05-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

This brings up a question for me. If you use the wired remote, does this automatically turn SR off? I'm in the same boat as the OP where if I turn SR off, I won't remember to put it back on. I have a K10d.
05-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
This brings up a question for me. If you use the wired remote, does this automatically turn SR off? I'm in the same boat as the OP where if I turn SR off, I won't remember to put it back on. I have a K10d.
The remote you are using has no effect. Mirror lockup is specifically activated with the 2 sec. delay on the shutter button or 3 sec. on the IR remote. The normal self timer, according to the documentation and the sound of the k10d, does not. You distinctly hear the mirror go up as soon as you press the release/remote with 2/3 sec. delay, but with the normal self timer, all the sounds are at the end of the time sequence. The Shake Reduction does turn off, I believe.