Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D and spare battery

Just bought another battery for the grip on my K10D.

Tested it and it it did well.

When the battery died however, I had to turn the camera off, then back on for ir to switch to the other battery.

Is this normal?

Is the Auto function in the Set up menu for battery choices for that purpose?

I thought the camera would shift batteries without it shutting off.

05-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Page 198-199 of the manual shows that there's an AUTO setting for choosing which battery to use. To me, that impies that it will switch over, but it doesn't explicitly cover what happens when a battery dies. I've never run out a battery, so I can't really say.
05-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is the spare you bought OEM or a third-party brand. I've read that the circuit board on the third-party batteries are slightly different than the Pentax batteries, and don't automatically switch over even in the auto setting.
05-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Stearns Quote
Is the spare you bought OEM or a third-party brand. I've read that the circuit board on the third-party batteries are slightly different than the Pentax batteries, and don't automatically switch over even in the auto setting.
That is interesting to note. But I often have one third party battery and one Pentax battery combination in use with my set up. And it seemed like this last time the batteries were depleted, both of them were expended without warning of a switch from grip to body and I think the Pentax battery was in the body. My recollection is of course inaccurate but I thought it was odd that I had depleted both batteries as I most often make the grip the priority power supply.
I understand that some power is taken away from both batteries at every start up just from a simple power supply check but I always thought that the "auto" setting would make the choice of which battery to draw from based on the amount of power in that reserve. Which is why I thought it best to set your own priorities and get some kind of warning so that both batteries are not emptied.
I may have the wrong ideas and be completely unreasonable. I will just wait over here until some more correct opinions and ideas have been supplied to this post.

05-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If you set the camera to Auto, it uses the battery with the highest voltage, shot by shot. Both batteries die at about the same time.

If you set the priority to camera body, that battery will run down completely, and the camera will stop working. Turn off and on again, and the camera will use the grip battery.

Set Grip first, same thing. When the grip battery dies, turn the camera off and on again to switch it to the battery in the camera body. This is my setting. I can continue shooting even after removing the grip battery and putting it into the charger.

In short, Auto can ruin your day. I use Grip first.
05-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok! Becoming clear now. Thanks guys!
05-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok! Becoming clear now. Thanks guys!
05-07-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Stearns Quote
The spare bought of of the internet from a reputable dealer.

Digital concepts is the brand name.

05-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use two authentic Pentax branded batteries and I have to do as you did to get it to switch the batteries...then again I didn't have my camera set to auto battery select. I have an aversion to using the Auto setting on cameras....especially on a critical thing like batteries.
05-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I use two authentic Pentax branded batteries and I have to do as you did to get it to switch the batteries...then again I didn't have my camera set to auto battery select. I have an aversion to using the Auto setting on cameras....especially on a critical thing like batteries.
I agree. Just recieved my 3rd battery.

This time it is a Pentax.

I will say the one from Digital Concepts did a great job!

It will be my 3rd as I will use the Pentax brand first.

Highyly recomend!

Will use it a few more times to confirm!
05-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I did see this written somewhere, but damned if I can find it in my manuals - grip and camera. It has to be there somewhere, but probably obscurely.
05-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

yeah it's annoying, but it isn't a show stopper. It's just a minor annoyance to have to consciously turn the camera on and off again and hoping that the camera picks the RIGHT battery.

hopefully, the upcoming K7 will have a revised power system.
05-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah it's annoying, but it isn't a show stopper. It's just a minor annoyance to have to consciously turn the camera on and off again and hoping that the camera picks the RIGHT battery.

hopefully, the upcoming K7 will have a revised power system.
I set my camera to use the Grip battery first. If the camera will not operate on the Grip battery, Off/On will select the Body battery. If it is just showing the low battery warning, It will still grab the Grip battery. The camera has to be dead for this to work properly. It would be nice to have something a little more intuitive.
05-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I use the same setup, because it makes more sense when you have the grip on, it's easier to change the battery in the grip than the camera.

I just take the battery out if the grip when it's depleted....I'll look into getting a third battery.
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use the same setup, because it makes more sense when you have the grip on, it's easier to change the battery in the grip than the camera.

I just take the battery out if the grip when it's depleted....I'll look into getting a third battery.
I did! You won't regret it!