Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You've been given some very good guesses, but without seeing the pictures themselves, it's impossible to know for sure.

My own guess is that the most important difference was the fact that the D700 probably had active d-lighting turned on - had you turned on D-Range on the K20D, it might have been a more equal comparison, as both cameras would then have been "faking" extended dyamic range in similar ways. If they *were* both shot with (or both without) this artifical dynamic range extension, then I'd expect the difference in LCD to have made the biggest difference when viewing on the LCD. If you viewed the images on a computer monitor, then I'd expect the in pixel size between the cameras made the difference - but those differences would pale in comparison to the other differences I mentioned.

05-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=HermanLee;586430]Well fyi, I'm not trying to bash K20D by comparing it to D700.
What I want to know is exactly what feature on D700 that makes the obvious difference that I saw. Is it because of the DR / pixel size / software / other "X" factor that I'm not aware of.
I know for sure that it is ridiculous to expect my $700 camera to perform at the same level of $2700 camera.

Hi Hermanlee,

See Imaging Resource for some comparison, I think the K20 doesn't look too shabby against a camera almost 3x its price. It maybe noisier but it retains details which I personally prefer, that is just me, but some prefer less noise. The noise, I think can be dealt with noise ninja, whereas details are lost if they are not captured in the camera's processing engine.

cheer,

Rene
05-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think we can eliminate the LCD as one of the cause, why?

Because at the same time I tested the Canon 5DM2 which also has 920,000px LCD and believe it or not, I like my K20D better even though I only compared them on LCD.

The picture on 5DM2 is not as bright as on D700 even though they have similar LCD.

I think Marc is right about the DR.
I forgot to turn on my D-Range on my K20D. The D700 might have the D-lighting turned on.
05-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I forgot to turn on my D-Range on my K20D. The D700 might have the D-lighting turned on.
Be careful about turning that on. Try it on photos you don't really care about before leaving it on.
It boosts shadow noise and the K20D unfortunately has quite a bit of it in the shadows (a bit more than my old K10)-:

You can undo the Nikon on in post w/ RAW, but AFAIK, you can't undo the K20D one even shooting RAW...

05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
OMG, what is that creature?
For sure it will scare any Nikonian around
...now back to business. Seriously, do you still use this camera? Any sample from photo taken with it? I always thought that this kind of camera is only for collection.
That looks like a Calumet C-1. Lots of people still use large format cameras (I have one as can be seen in my sig). They're not just for collectors, they're actually still the supreme rulers when it come to ultimate resolution. Plus, they're fun.
05-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
That looks like a Calumet C-1. Lots of people still use large format cameras (I have one as can be seen in my sig). They're not just for collectors, they're actually still the supreme rulers when it come to ultimate resolution. Plus, they're fun.
Do people complain about their autofocus?

05-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
See Imaging Resource for some comparison, I think the K20 doesn't look too shabby against a camera almost 3x its price. It maybe noisier but it retains details which I personally prefer, that is just me, but some prefer less noise. The noise, I think can be dealt with noise ninja, whereas details are lost if they are not captured in the camera's processing engine.
Well personally I would not recommend using Imaging ressource for any comparison.
It is out of camera JPGs, jduging from the exifs, thus you are comparing jpg engines more than RAW.
their focus and exposure accuracy has been very far from impressive on the samples I have seen regardless of brand.

Best way to test is to spend a lot of time with each body and use the RAW processor that handles the individual RAW files the best, at least that gives a more accurate picture of the actual performance.

05-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well personally I would not recommend using Imaging ressource for any comparison.
It is out of camera JPGs, jduging from the exifs, thus you are comparing jpg engines more than RAW.
their focus and exposure accuracy has been very far from impressive on the samples I have seen regardless of brand.

Best way to test is to spend a lot of time with each body and use the RAW processor that handles the individual RAW files the best, at least that gives a more accurate picture of the actual performance.
Hi Thomas,

I agree w/ you 100% on RAW comparison but isn't when just taking quick shots in the store the setup most likely is in JPEG?. I personally shoot JPEGs most of the time and to be honest w/ you, I love to do RAWs but many including myself, don't have the luxury to spend time in processing and on top of that, many are not software savy myself included again.

cheers,

Rene
05-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Hi Thomas,

I agree w/ you 100% on RAW comparison but isn't when just taking quick shots in the store the setup most likely is in JPEG?. I personally shoot JPEGs most of the time and to be honest w/ you, I love to do RAWs but many including myself, don't have the luxury to spend time in processing and on top of that, many are not software savy myself included again.

cheers,

Rene
Point well taken Rene

I did not comment on the OPs comparison, merely pointed out that imaging ressource would not be a good reference of actual performance and i saw little point in pointing the OP to a set op samples that will tell him no more about actual performance than his own test.

My own recommendation when people want to compare cameras is to rent or get their hands on a loaner, along with lenses in the range you would be likely to use for at least a couple of days and try it out at your intented applications.
Only way to make sure you know what you are about to buy.

well the RAW vs. jpg is a preference thing I guess, I often have clients to satisfy and I would not want to deliver any jpg based output, there is so much more to gain and once you have your workflow patted down it is not really that time consuming.

If you do deliver large bodies of work regularly software like LR or Aperture are optimised for handling it and keeping it simple.
05-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #25
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah that would be my C-1.I have two actually, and shoot em on a big Ries A-100 2 tripod.I send the negs out these days to West Coast imaging for drum scanning, and the resolution just kills any dslr I've ever used.Of course my Pentax dslr's kill the C-1's for convenience Here's a 100% crop from a bushel of sunflowers on Ilford Fp4+ souped in PMK

05-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Do people complain about their autofocus?

Yes. It is very slow. K20d is definitely faster in the AF.
05-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cloudswimmer Quote
Yeah that would be my C-1.I have two actually, and shoot em on a big Ries A-100 2 tripod.I send the negs out these days to West Coast imaging for drum scanning, and the resolution just kills any dslr I've ever used.Of course my Pentax dslr's kill the C-1's for convenience Here's a 100% crop from a bushel of sunflowers on Ilford Fp4+ souped in PMK
That is the 100% crop? What were the original dimensions of the scanned image? 4x5 sheet film? That may be a crop, but the picture simply blows me away...

I am a fan of film, but have only limited experience viewing scanned LF format. The tonality and richness of that photo are simply amazing!

Steve
05-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the 100% crop? What were the original dimensions of the scanned image? 4x5 sheet film? That may be a crop, but the picture simply blows me away...

I am a fan of film, but have only limited experience viewing scanned LF format. The tonality and richness of that photo are simply amazing!

Steve
Hi Steve, its 8x10 sheet film not 4x5.Here is the original.Scanned on my Epson 4990 at 2400 ppi the file is close to a gigabyte in size, of course down sampled to 360 ppi its much more manageable

05-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Cloudswimmer: beautiful photo.

Will
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Steve I stand corrected, I was tired last night posting.That was indeed not a 100% crop.Here is the true 100% crop.These are done on the consumer Epson 4990 scanner.The tango drum scans from WCI are always much better sharpness and DR wise, but they ain't cheap.