Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why I love Pentax?

Well.....there is all the things previously said, no point in saying it again.

But just as importantly there is this site and the people who contribute to it in such a positive sense (well most of you anyway, some noticeable reprobates excluded but we love you too ).

The manner in which people (generally) help out here is pretty special, and I would like to think that goes a long way to the making of a "Pentaxian". Even none photographic topics can be discussed robustly without rancour and people getting tooo worked up...most of the time.....

Thats why I love Pentax.....I've got to "meet" all sorts of fine people.
Cheers
Grant

05-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Well said!

I have owned every major brand except Olympus, and right now Pentax is the closest fit to my needs out of all the brands, and if they go down the robust, travel friendly route, is likely to remain so.

Basically, the body quality, ergonomics, unique features and IQ available for the $, and the quality of some of the lenses, makes Pentax more cost effective and easier to exploit than any other make.

Perfect? No. But then neither is anything else I have tried.

However now I have got used to hyper manual mode, you will never pry a Pentax from my hands again.

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
I'm starting a positive thread here, folks. No camera is perfect, and I know very well what the flaws of the K10/K20 are. At the same time, there is a reason that I use these two cameras and am starting to make a little money with them. So, what does Pentax give me that another brand doesn't?

Number one for me is the build/weather-sealing. I love being able to shoot in the rain. In order to get that feature in another brand, I would have to move up to a way more expensive camera. The K10 with DA* 50-135 survived a fall from the top of a car onto pavement, no injuries whatsoever. That's enough to sell me on any camera. (I know, don't ask what it was doing up there.)

I love having two dials. Whenever I pick up relatives' non-Pentax SLRs (same class), I am not only blown away by how plasticky they feel, but also by the fact that I have such a hard time changing settings.

I love the green button. People are very impressed with my sunset silhouette portraits, but the green button makes that something even a beginner can do.

Let's hear it. Why are you a Pentaxian?
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
The IQ , they seem to take on quality of the lenses more so than other cameras that IQ seems more digital.
Image stabilization in the body
Lens being considerably less than other companies
The feel of the camera in my hand seems better than other cameras with similar specs(they don't feel cheap)
Weather resistant and amazing anti dust shake.
And the number one reason for me the ability to go back and forth between digital and film easily.
05-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

My 1st DSLR was the istDS. I knew I wanted a DSLR (upgrade from my Sony 717 and a Minolta SLR film camera). After doing some research I determined that the Pentax was the best price performance ratio out there.

John

05-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
Veteran Member

My 1st DSLR was the istDS. I knew I wanted a DSLR (upgrade from my Sony 717 and a Minolta SLR film camera). After doing some research I determined that the Pentax was the best price performance ratio out there and still is really.

There are lots of reasons why I like my Pentax, all have already been mentioned by others.

John
05-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #21

Brand loyalty

When I decided to upgrade from the K100 a few months back I had an open mind, was even leaning towards a D90 (!). When I told the sales guy that I had a Pentax he would only sell me a GX-20 as it was 200 cheaper than K20D (something with a change of dealership, apparently Samsung is to be sold only in supermarkets).

I got home with the new camera and tried to explain to my better half that it was in essence a Pentax. She would not listen, so now she has a K20D of her own. She's been shooting Pentax always as has her father (who now has the K100).

I'm having fun with my Samsung and a growing collection of odd lenses and DA* and ltds. (But the better half has monopolized the 35 ltd - go figure.)
05-07-2009, 03:16 AM   #22

I'll just say: because of honesty.

In today's corporate world (as in "world run by corporations"), honesty is getting scarcer by the minute and Pentax is one company that struck me as being honest to their customers.
05-07-2009, 04:43 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with all of the things up till now. I have to say that I really like it that it is different to be a Pentaxian. People look funny when you have a camera brand that they don't immediately recognize and that is kind of cool.

I like as well that Pentax's cameras are well thought out and their focus isn't on Gimmickry. At the end of the day, your camera almost feels like a part of you. When I was shooting with a point and shoot, I never really enjoyed bringing it along -- it was small, but it felt uncomfortable and clumsy to take photos with. With K10/20, even though they are much larger, I never leave them behind.

05-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
* Ruggedness ( Built quality )
* Backward compatibility
* SR
* IQ
* Weather sealing
* Primes
* Bang for the buck
* Rich Pentax heritage

cheers,

Rene
The above, plus the pentaxian spirit and family!
05-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Started off with a Cosina CT-1S and moved to a Chinon CP-7m and to a Pentax PZ-20. As I have been using K-mount lenses, some lenses I used with the previous 2 cameras could also be used with the PZ-20.

I loved the feel of the Pentax and the way people looked when they see a different "brand" of camera.

During the digital onslaught, I got a re-branded Pentax in the name of Hewlett-Packard, and it started my foray into digital. Used that for some years before moving on to various other PnSs and finally decided to get myself a DSLR.

In Mid 2007, a friend introduced me to Canon and I got the 400D but when I realised I needed to get an adapter to use my Pentax lenses, I sold it off and got myself a second hand K10D. I love the beautiful colours that the K10D produced and as the rest of the gang were using the K20D, I got tempted but as budget was tight, I stuck with the K10D. In late March this year, I "upgraded" to the K20D and am amazed at the colours of the K20D.

Still wonder why I left Pentax those years back but am happy to be a Pentaxian once again and this time will not turn Pentax away.

Two weeks back, I was asked to be a back up photographer in my school as we were having a promotion ceremony for the 12 newly promoted teachers and I used the K20D with the DA* 16-50mm F2.8 wityh my old Metz 32CT3 flash. My other photographer colleague commented after the pics were sorted that all my pictures looked very sharp. It made me smile as he was using a Nikon D300 with the 18-105VR lens and a flash too.

That is why "I Love Pentax" and my son is now learning with the PZ-1SE and soon will get him his own K-m.

People's head will turn to look when they see a different "brand" as Singapore is flooded with the Canikonony, Pentax stands out. But I hate it when People say that Pentax is a dying brand just because it is not coming out with models as fast as the competition.

We are "unique" and I like it that way.

Last edited by felixkh; 05-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.
05-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY!!!!!
I've been shooting for about four decades. I started out with an ASAHI PENTAX S3V, acquiring a slew of equipment over the years. I still use all of my screwmount SMC Takumars on my DSLR. Thank goodness I started out with Pentax, as no other camera maker would have afforded me this wonderful option to the extent that Pentax has.
(P.S. - No other lens manufacturer, IMO, has ever come close to matching the consistent solid smooth focusing feel of screwmount Takumars).
05-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
The above, plus the pentaxian spirit and family!
and the Pentaxian Attitude, be interesting, go against the grain.

cheers,

Rene
05-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Pentax will never be a dying brand so long as they stick close to what they do best... providing a precise tool for real photographers. I came to Pentax because I am an artist and deeply interested in the aesthetics of technology. I think Pentax suits me but also think they could do a lot more to distinguish themselves instead of following the pack. But I won't get into that right now.

I am also a research nut. When looking for an SLR I turned the internet upside down, but a few constraints governed my search:
* access to unsurpassed quality lenses
* SR for enhanced low-light shooting
* affordable

Pentax are the only brand to meet these simple requirements. Not only that but you get:
* weather-sealing at the lowest price point
* backwards compatibility across decades of history
* best possible IQ with minimum forced processing
* great build
* nice community here, as Grant mentioned (it's important!)

The downsides I really couldn't care about. I generally manually focus and often manually meter... or at least do the green button thang. I do not expect my camera to automatically pick my focus point or magically set my exposure for me. Though if it helps a bit I am glad. Technology should be enabling, not dominating. Pentax got this right.

This is perhaps why the features I want to see in a new body are not what most people clammer for. I want Pentax to extend themselves further into an idiosyncratic photographic space, not play catch-up with the big boys. They will never win that fight. If they produced the body I want them to, it would live on in photographic history, alongside the Spotmatic and K1000.
05-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Great thread!

I got into Pentax back in the great "Fat Wallet rebate rush" of '06. I was going through a succession of bridge cameras looking for more control and better image quality. About that time, I saw where Pentax was offering the *istDL kit for under $300 after all the rebates. I knew the name, but that was about it. After researching it a bit, it seemed like a good deal, so I jumped and immediately knew I loved it. The only thing I missed was shake reduction. Lo, and behold, Pentax introduced the K100D so I sold my *istDL body after 6 weeks (for more than I paid for the kit!) and I knew I was sold.

Compatibility with all the old lenses, built in features for less than the other guys charge, and good performance for me. I moved to the K10D a year or so later, but moved quickly on to the K20D. That still seems to me to be the best value out there. I love the image quality I get, and the controls are wonderful.

Currently, I have a K20D, and I've recently picked up a new *istDL and a new K100D Super for backups (the DL might be on the blocks shortly).

I love the look when people try to figure out what I'm shooting, and on those rare occasions that I see someone else shooting Pentax, I have something to talk about.
05-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #30

At the end of the day, what it boiled down to for me was that pound-for-pound Pentax offers the best cameras for the price.