Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
* weather-sealing at the lowest price point
From my experience that's important where you live, Robin. But it does contribute to those beautiful shades of green.

Why do I love Pentax? It's really all I've seriously used since the late 60's and I've been happy so why would I change. Besides, I really love the look on a Canikoner's face when I stick a 45 year old M42 Super Takumar on a modern digital and then the expression when I mention the shake reduction works with it.

CW

05-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's all been covered basically but I'd agree with Grant. Generally a great crowd of people to be a part of.

SR is a real selling point for me as is the backward compatiblity. I started with a K1000 in the late 70's, shot with a Canon AE-1 as well. Just liked the Pentax glass better.

Today, it's the joy of screwing on a Takumar to a modern digital body and the old glass can still beat the crap out of most of today's offerings.

I gotta admit to some smugness as well. There's a certain satisfaction to going out with the local Photo club on a field trip and being surrounded by people (all friends) who constantly see me shooting with M42 glass that they can't use as easily.

I honestly feel sorry for the C/N shooters that sold all thier lenses for pennies on the dollar because the mounts changed.
05-10-2009, 12:15 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1)Build quality - camera feels nice and solid compared to Canon/Nikon in the same price range.
2)Dual dials and button layout means virtually no hunting for settings - I can't stand using friends' Canikons. By the time I have figured out how to change a setting - the Kodak..er.. Pentax moment is long gone.
3)Love the little lift and turn locks on the battery and SD doors.
05-10-2009, 12:39 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a chance to go to the USSR in 1981 (student exchange...we went there......they were not allowed to come here). I worked my %$* off as a bus boy in a fancy resturaunt so I could but a ME Super for the trip. It still is a great camera....and it is the build quality that makes me stick with Pentax.
I have a full line of Taks....and Ks.....and to a lesser extent Ms....but the As....FAs....no, sorry but the build quality from MHO is not what I want (yes they might give great pics...but it doesn't do it for me.) For new I prefer the DA* or FA Ltd.
I stick with Pentax knowing that every once in a while they will cough up a legend of a product.....

05-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
From my experience that's important where you live, Robin. But it does contribute to those beautiful shades of green
Personally, weather-sealing is not a big deal. Because I hate getting wet, so if it's raining I'm the one cowering inside. But I have noticed that not once in four months have I needed to clean the sensor on the K20D. Whereas I needed to more regularly on the K100DS. This even though I own no weather-sealed lenses. So something is obviously working better.

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Love the little lift and turn locks on the battery and SD doors.
Oh yes. Anyone else had batteries accidentally fall out of the K100DS? Happened more than once to me. Could never happen on the K20D, which truly is built like a tank.
05-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Personally, weather-sealing is not a big deal. Because I hate getting wet, so if it's raining I'm the one cowering inside. But I have noticed that not once in four months have I needed to clean the sensor on the K20D. Whereas I needed to more regularly on the K100DS. This even though I own no weather-sealed lenses. So something is obviously working better.
Ditto with my K10D vs K100D. I think the improved sensor coating really helps. Plus after I did have to clean it once, I turned on the shake-at-startup thing and it seems to be working.
05-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by straightshooter Quote
From my experience that's important where you live, Robin. But it does contribute to those beautiful shades of green.

Why do I love Pentax? It's really all I've seriously used since the late 60's and I've been happy so why would I change. Besides, I really love the look on a Canikoner's face when I stick a 45 year old M42 Super Takumar on a modern digital and then the expression when I mention the shake reduction works with it.

CW
Ha, Ha, Ha,....rubbing some salt to the Canikon's ego.

cheers,

Rene
05-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Love the stories!

I started with Pentax in the '70s. I had been using Instamatics and Polaroids in the late '60s - then my grandfather taught me how to develop & print B&W film. It was time for a serious camera. I did all the research a 15-year-old could do in the mid-70s (no Internet, just photo mags and books from the library). I finally decided on the 'new' K1000. I was working a summer job during high school and managed to convince two co-workers to get Pentaxes with me. I got the K1000, Tony got the KX, Linda got the ME. The three of us had great fun that summer doing photo walks at lunch time in downtown Boston. I spent nearly all my hard-earned money on film, paper, & chemicals.

I kept the K1000 all these years for sentimental reasons, and tried out several other brands in the intervening time. None gave me the creative spark I had that summer. None were just plain fun to use. I had lusted after the higher-end Nikons since the early days - that's what the pros used in the photo mags - but I could never afford them.

Fast forward to when digital hit 6MP. I finally got into the Nikon system, but was disappointed. Even their mid-level bodies wouldn't meter with manual lenses, and were deliberately crippled in other ways, forcing anyone who was serious about photography into their top-tier models. I refused to pay upwards of $2500 for a camera body that would be obsolete in a year or two. I had to get used to using a handheld meter again. The only other choice at the time, Canon, was the same. I looked at them briefly, but was put off by the clunky ergonomics, shoddy build quality, and less-than-honest company reputation.

Then I rediscovered Pentax. I had been listening to several photo podcasts on my daily commute - all were hosted by Nikon & Canon fanboys. They would rarely mention anything else - except once in a while, they would admit that there was a small group of loyal but rabid Pentax users. That sounded like me in the '70s.

The rest is history. I picked up a couple of Pentax DSLRs, found this forum, and in a few short months I've gone ridiculously overboard with LBA. The fun and creativity are back. I'm even shooting/developing film again, and playing with many of the Pentax film bodies and lenses that I missed out on when they were new. The photographic journey has gone full circle and now I'm home again!

05-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #39
Site Supporter

I've been shooting Pentax since the early 70s. I started with screw mounts, quickly changed to the K-M series. My favorite film camera was the MX.

I picked the K-M line originally because the quality of the lenses for the money could not be touched elsewhere in 1977. The second philosophical advantage to Pentax was the smaller size and weight of the bodies. You could carry 3 MX bodies and hardly feel it. That was not the case with other brands (and it was less the case with Pentax when the MX went away and the LX became the top of the Pentax line).

My only nagging complaint has been with the lobotomized K-mount that keeps my K10d from functioning like an MX or K1000 with my M lenses. But every time I make or hear complaints, I just look over at the pages at the BH or Adorama sites for the other brands, and see how much I would have to pay for possible marginal improvement in AF or lenses. The price/performance ratio is still there for Pentax, and I'm happy.
05-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My only nagging complaint has been with the lobotomized K-mount that keeps my K10d from functioning like an MX or K1000 with my M lenses. But every time I make or hear complaints, I just look over at the pages at the BH or Adorama sites for the other brands, and see how much I would have to pay for possible marginal improvement in AF or lenses. The price/performance ratio is still there for Pentax, and I'm happy.
This is where my ignorance is bliss. To me (who came to the SLR world with the Pentax dSLRs), the fact that all you have to do (at most) is press a button to meter with a 35 year old lens (which is also stabilized) is pretty cool. I never knew it was even better before. To me, pushing a button is as easy as...well, pushing a button.
05-14-2009, 06:14 AM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
This is where my ignorance is bliss. To me (who came to the SLR world with the Pentax dSLRs), the fact that all you have to do (at most) is press a button to meter with a 35 year old lens (which is also stabilized) is pretty cool. I never knew it was even better before. To me, pushing a button is as easy as...well, pushing a button.
You can roughly (and less conveniently) approximate it on a K10/20d by using the depth of field preview. I admit, it is a bit of a control thing. It is, however, great to be able to use 35 year old lenses at all.
05-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Why I love my K100Ds:
  1. Because it was $350 with kit lens over a year ago
  2. Lens lineup (Limiteds)
  3. Lens compatibility
  4. Generally affordable lenses
  5. In-body SR with any lens
  6. Decent finder compared to other cameras in its class
  7. I agree with the direction the company is heading
  8. Build quality -- Canons feel like absolute garbage to hold in comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by gamgee Quote
I'll just say: because of honesty.

In today's corporate world (as in "world run by corporations"), honesty is getting scarcer by the minute and Pentax is one company that struck me as being honest to their customers.
Honestly. Ned Bunnell is cool. I like the feeling, however superficial it might be, that Pentax is a company run by human beings. Any man who promotes a competitor on his blog and then stands his ground and defends what he did is A-OK in my book.
05-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
Let's hear it. Why are you a Pentaxian?
I first started using an SLR in the 80s I bought a Praktica and some M42 lenses in a junk shop. I got some good photos with the DDR Zeiss lenses, but after a few years the camera developed a fault winding on the film. Then when my daughter was born I decided I wanted AF and got a Canon. I really didn't use the Canon much. The results were disappointing compared to the Praktica+Zeiss. After a few years I gave away the Canon, but I kept the Praktica + M42 lenses. Then work took off and I stopped taking photos.

When I returned a few years back I wanted to be able to get back to the original hobby - the ability to take good photos without spending a fortune. Initially the K100D's features were just what I needed:

- the manufacturer actively supports using M42 lenses, with a genuine M42 adapter and firmware support
- in-camera SR, that is, SR with all lenses
- AF confirm with all lenses
- AA batteries
- green button (AE-L)

After using the K100D for a while I discovered Takumars. So I have the ability to use the Zeiss lenses I have had for 20 years, and I can use Takumars too. This means that I have high quality glass without breaking the bank. I am happy.

Richard
05-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #44
Veteran Member

P rime lenses
E xcellent image quality
N ed Bunnell
T ough build standards
A ffordable
X cellent backwards compatibility

05-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #45

My reasons:
  1. SR in body
  2. Water-proof
  3. Good handle
  4. Price
  5. Pentax Color
  6. Lots of prime lens
  7. Larruping(too much people use Nikon and Canon, tedious)
  8. The direct one: I saw a photo taken by my friend, of course using Pentax, I shaked... Then, I forget any other brand but PENTAX!