Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sentimental reasons at first: Began with a used Spotmatic in 1972 with a SMC Tak 55mm/1.8 lens. Bought a 135/3.5 SMC Takumar, and took them all to a rather remote South Pacific Island for over a year. Those slides are still awesome. Later, I took the Spottie with me to Mexico and the Northwest Territories and it kept on trucking, even though you could hear the volcanic dust from the Pacific islands causing the camera to grind a little when the film was advanced, or the mirror was tripped. That Spottie still works, but it requires a manual meter these days. A wonderful, rugged, abused camera with great lenses. My wife bought a Pentax 500 in 1973. It STILL works, even better than mine, because she looked after it.
So, when I decided to get into a dSLR this year, I chose a 200D because of its rep. as being a rugged, weather proof camera capable of high IQ and because it would accept those wonderful old legacy lenses that had served me so well. I love it.
But, in July, I will be buying a K20D (most probably) or a K-7 so that I can keep my old screw mount lenses on the K200D permanently. Boy, those lenses are fun, if a little taxing to use. I admit that over a year ago (before I got the K200) I bought a Canon S5, which only got me excited about photography again. I have sinned; please forgive me. But I am back in the fold because of Pentax's image and build quality, and because of backward compatability. There is no other camera manufacturer that even comes close for the enthusiast, in my opinion. And with the release of the K7, Pentax has served notice that they are still in the game.

05-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Why I Love Pentax

It was my first pay cheque, flush with cash & just had to spend it, it was the sixties after all, s*x & rock & roll.

Just a sixteen year old went to town & the local camera store had a special on, selling camera's, had no idea what a Pentax was, but lucky for me it was, looked cool, remembering I was just an impressionable sixteen year old.

Drifted in & out of photography for the next ten years until married & luckily was given a new camera as a wedding present & still having my original plus lenses have never looked back.

Now 2009 & the dilemma is buy the new K-7 or keep on with the K20, still haven't fully utilized all the functions in it as yet.

Wal'
05-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wwwmorrell Quote
It was my first pay cheque, flush with cash & just had to spend it, it was the sixties after all, s*x & rock & roll.

Now 2009 & the dilemma is buy the new K-7 or keep on with the K20, still haven't fully utilized all the functions in it as yet.
Nice to read that story!

I would stick with the K20D and invest any new-found cash in glass. There is always a better camera coming up. If you haven't found the limits of the current one then don't sweat it!
05-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

I would stick with the K20D and invest any new-found cash in glass. There is always a better camera coming up. If you haven't found the limits of the current one then don't sweat it!
No argument there "investing in glass" is definitely the way to go.

There are no limitations with LBA :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Wal'

05-23-2009, 07:57 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my first Pentax in 1975. We had gone through a rough year with me being out of work and the birth of our second daughter. I had sold my camera and lenses and after getting back to work again I bought a SP 1000 at a dept. store clearance sale. I still have it. My reason for choosing the Pentax at that time was the large amount of affordable M42 lenses available and I needed just about everything. I did try some different brands in the film days and was not happy with the cameras. When I finally decided to go digital I checked out every camera available. When I found a store with a K10D in stock I had to check it out. After a few minutes of shooting a few pictures in the store and just handling the camera I bought it on the spot.
06-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #51

My mother shot all my baby pictuers with a Pentax 35mm and I loved the shots. I even played with it when I was little and I was hooked. My first camera was a pentax I even bought her an upgrade to a DSLR. So aside from the great PENTAX heratage its kinda passed on in mine. haha
06-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Pentaxians put there love of photography 1st... The gear is a tool not a status... We are all equals. Plus Pentax make some cool stuff. When it comes to the perfect exposure pentax users seem to know there stuff. I think it is because most of us learned with film on K1000 (well I Did, the K1000 my high school sweetheart) were the photog had complete control.
06-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #53
Forum Member

My dad had a Spotmatic ES way back in the day. Money was tight so I couldn't afford a SLR camera growing up - just point and shoot 35mm (cheap ones at that). After much deliberation I fianlly took the plunge late 2007 with a K10D for all the technical reasons already stated by others - SR, quality, handling and feel. Definately made the right decision with Pentax. While that Spotmatic is long gone - I use super takumars from that era and love them (though I like the m42 Mamiya lenses too).

06-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #54
Inactive Account

I like Pentax simply because they build great camera's and lenses at very competitive prices. Because of this I've begun to appreciate in-body SR, prime lenses, and the host of other features Pentax stands for.

I'm also a fairly mainstream kind of person, but in my mind's eye I do like to be a bit different from everyone else. Again - Pentax fits the bill.

c[_]
06-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #55
Veteran Member

I love Pentax because their recent dSLR's made me appreciate other brands aside from Canon and Nikon, and discover a new appreciation for it's lenses as well. I believe Pentax lenses are one of the most underrated excellent optics there is.
06-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love Pentax because the cameras just feel right in my hands. I've held all brands of SLR's and still my Pentax's fit, the others felt bulky and awkward.

My sister, bless her, she didn't know better, bought a Canon. I tried using it before I got my cameras back this year, and it was hard to reach the shutter button, and awkward to hold in my small hands.
06-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Have you ever sat in a nice auto with manual transmission, and the stick shift is just at the right place and angle, the blindspots arent blind, and everything just seems to fit you? And you drive better because of it.

Thats how I feel with my Pentax cameras.
06-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #58
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Have you ever sat in a nice auto with manual transmission, and the stick shift is just at the right place and angle, the blindspots arent blind, and everything just seems to fit you? And you drive better because of it.

Thats how I feel with my Pentax cameras.
Now you're talking my language. That's why I'm now back in a VW after a short stint driving a Chevy. I'll never do that again....

c[_]
06-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

What MJB wrote

Pentax is for the photographer, for your needs and to make life easy for you.
06-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I like pentax just because of its uniqueness. It is nica to hold it is nice to operate. Even though it is not the fastest camera nor the most silent I still love pentax. Simply I do not know why. And I know I will stay with pentax. For sure.