Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #61
Veteran Member

In-body stabilization. Superb ergonomics. Fantastic glass. Great value proposition. Relatively cheap weather-sealing. And of course, a wonderful community here. I have learned many things from reading and participating in these forums.

06-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #62
Forum Member

Pentax Soul

At the risk of breaking rank and, heaven forbid, having the forum members here think that I'm "half a bubble off plumb", my love affair with Pentax lies at the heart of the image. I LOVE the image noise produced by any of Pentax's DSLR's!

Pentax images have something I cannot find in the images produced by CaNikSonOly. Pentax images, prior to being manipulated in post-processing, have a certain look and feel to them .. what I call soul. Some of this soul certainly comes from how Pentax lenses "draw" on the sensor but I think it comes primarily from how Pentax has chosen to pull the raw image from the sensor, complete with image noise.

I was worried that the soul of an image would be lost when Pentax announced their move to a CMOS sensor with the K20D. Much to my relief, such is not the case .. my K20D images still have "soul".

I know I am alone but I will be sadly disappointed if the K-7 high-ISO performance is on par with Canon or Nikon. Yes, I know, I can always add noise or digital "grain" to an image but, to me, that's like sucking and blowing at the same time. After 30+years of shooting film, I'm no fan of absolutely smooth, plasticky high-ISO images. If I shoot at ISO 800 or 1600, I want my image to show the imperfect character of those sensitivities (can you tell I don't shoot for stock agencies?!).

While most are hoping that the new K-7 will have improved high-ISO performance, I am considering the K-7 only for its' 100% viewfinder, its' 2-pin mirror support and its' quieter shutter. Time will tell if my love affair with Pentax doesn't move past the K20D.

My Pentax Gallery
Intveld Images
06-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
I'm starting a positive thread here, folks. . . . . . . . . Let's hear it. Why are you a Pentaxian?
Funny, I never noticed this thread before. Anyway, my answer is simple:

DA 15, DA 21, DA 35, DA 40, DA 70.

Although I take real delight in my K20D, to my mind, these lenses (and their FA counterparts) are the only signficant factor that differentiates Pentax from its competitors.

Jer
06-22-2009, 04:32 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pawzitiv Quote
Pentax images have something I cannot find in the images produced by CaNikSonOly. Pentax images, prior to being manipulated in post-processing, have a certain look and feel to them .. what I call soul. Some of this soul certainly comes from how Pentax lenses "draw" on the sensor but I think it comes primarily from how Pentax has chosen to pull the raw image from the sensor, complete with image noise.
You're not alone. I quite like the K20D noise until the ISO gets to 1600 and chroma noise gets too much. If the K-7 pushes this 1EV more I'll be happy. But if it changes the noise characteristic in order to fight the ISO war with Canikon, I'll be peeved.

06-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the fact that Pentax truly tries to do things differently. They aren't trying to compete directly with Canikon, but rather to release cameras that are just a little out of step. The K-7 is a perfect example: is it a D300 class camera, or a D90 class camera? No one really knows, but there are an awful lot of people who want one.