Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Something a lot of successful long lens shooters do is drape an arm over the lens to damp vibration. It might be something to try.
You can also wrap a bungee cord around the tripod legs at the first lock. Not so tight that you bend things, but enough that the elastic is stretched a bit. This can help quiet the legs if they are singing.
Depending on camera and lens and how much stuff I feel like carrying, I use either a light Velbon PH-237Q (64", 2.5 lbs) or a bigger Opteka TR74 (74", 3.15 lbs). I'm 76+" tall, I like tall tripods! A bungee cord around the Velbron's legs is almost mandatory. The Opteka has a hook for hanging a heavy camera bag or gallon of wine or other weight. For critical use of a long tele, a sandbag placed atop the (horizontal) lens dampens vibrations.

Sandbag: pour between a pound and a kilo of sand and gravel in a 1-gallon ziploc bag. Put that bag into another ziploc, tops pointed in opposite directions. Stuff that into one of my old size 16 boot socks with a worn heel. Stuff that backwards into its equally-worn mate. Stitch up the end. The surface should NOT be taut. If needed, use one or two velcro straps and/or bungee cords to afix to the lens in question. Vibrations cease. (A lazy person might just wrap a kilo bag of rice with burlap for the same effect. Just hope for no rain.)

05-08-2009, 06:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Some good tips there from yourself and wheatfield on damping.
05-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might also want to look into an additional support for the camera and lens.

I have one of these

359 Bogen - Manfrotto Long Lens Camera Support (#3252)

as many have mentioned, the lens mount is not a hard contact point to the camera. If it were you would never get the lens off. (while I suppose a screw mount lens to true screw mount body was, or perhaps the origonal canon (can I say that word here) mount was a hard mount,

Also I find there is some ability at the tripod head for vibration. the long lens support can take out some of that motion. I use mine at an angle, not with a leg directly below, as that helps take out both horizontal and vertical shake
05-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That look like an excellent piece of kit - simple and cheap

05-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Nice shot.

This is what I was referring to in your other thread about moon shots.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59437-tou-five...0mm-f-8-a.html

Yours is a lot better than mine!
05-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i had a bit more playtime in CS4, and improved mine sightly, and i think your shot is as good, but needs some adjustment also

05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Marc - i have edited the above moon shot for another blurry moon, so you can see the blur a bit easier.
i'd say yea clearly nailed focus on the bird shot - we can see there are OOF areas in front of and in back of the bird. Hard to know if you nailed focus on the moon shot, so yeah, you might have missed. The lack of OOF areas in front of and behind the subject to compare with makes manual focus much harder on the moon than with your bird shot.

I'd also guess the high contrast on the bird shot gives it more of an "illusion" of sharpness compared to the moon shot. And as I said, at the kind of focal lengths you are talking about, you may well need a faster shutter speed to avoid motion blur. I'd try again, using the mirror lockup, higher ISO to get faster shutter speed, and bracketing your focus.
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will do Marc - sky is really clear here now ( 6pm as i type ) , so i figure i can get one in tonight.

Previously shot @ ISO 100 / 125/th / No MLU / No lens Damping

So next try will be a choice of ISO 125 / 160 / 200 @ 160/th / MLU / Damped lens ...and see what happens