Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #1

ist ds2 display problems!!

I'm using a five-year-old, ist ds2. Several weeks ago, display would flash on, but back off quickly, when Fn button used. Now, same thing happening with "Menu" button. I've upgraded the firmware to version 1.02.

Any suggestions? Sometimes the display flashes off so quickly that I can't make any changes. Doesn't flash off every time Menu or Fn button used, but happens enough to be seriously aggravating.

05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #2

Original Poster
Can't believe I'm the only ist ds2 owner who's had a display problem!!
05-08-2009, 06:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the exact same symptom with my DL last night. Change and/or charge your batteries. That fixed it for me.
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WalterGA Quote
Can't believe I'm the only ist ds2 owner who's had a display problem!!
You might be one of the few DS2 owners on this forum, period. But FWIW, the problem you describe is not something I can recall having seen complaints about on any other camera, either. Either the batteries are going bad - and you would hope that is all it is - or the electronics are going bad. Actually, it could be the buttons, not the display - maybe the button is accidentally double-clutching. You could try maybe blowing some air around the buttons to see if you clean their contacts - but I have no idea how safe that really is.

05-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it happened to me last night I'd hit the fn button and the back LCD display would go on for about a second and then turn off. But the upper LCD display would still show data. After this happened about 5 times I went and got a freshly charged set of batteries and it worked fine.
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I probably am one of the few ist ds2 owners here. The only reason I went Pentax is because I had a bunch of Pentax lenses, and the ds2 will accommodate all those lenses.

However, I've been generally satisfied with the performance of a 28-300mm Tamron lens, and the Pentax lenses (which are pretty crappy anyway) stay stored away.

I've been using fresh batteries. I'll try the blowing the air around the buttons deal.

Had hoped the camera would last through the 16th, when I hope to get some good pics of my son's graduation from law school.

Next purchase will be a Canon 50D.
05-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Pentax makes some stellar lenses, although they do make some standard consumer lenses too. To bad your DS2 seems to not be working as it should.

I hope you will be pleased going for the Canon 50D.
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
I know that Pentax makes some great lenses, but I didn't have any of those. I did have a couple of old aftermarket lenses that were pretty decent. I haven't really been unhappy with the Pentax and have taken some outstanding pics with it. Just got a little antsy with the display acting up right before a big event. I really like the controls and menu options of the Pentax better than the Canon.

Did a little experimenting with a friend's 30D. I want a 2.8 70-200 lens and would probably go with Sigma's, but didn't want to drop that kind of money (I know it's not AS expensive as Canon, Nikon, etc.) on the 6.1 megapixel Pentax. (Particulary with the display acting up.)

Thanks again for the help! Wish me luck in taking great pics of my son's graduation ceremonies. (My daughter also attended law school at the same place, and she's hooding my son.)

05-10-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have ds2. No display problems.

I did have rechargeable batteries that ended their life: got very hot, couldn't hold charge and camera display gave stupid messages - full power, no power.

Obviously, simple things like trying known good batteries may solve your problem.