Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
distance in view finder

Is this a stupid request? I'd like the distance of focus displayed in the view finder so I wouldn't have to drop the camera to see what the lens reads. I Think This would help me in determining where I want to focus for the DOF I want. Are there any DSLRS that show this?

Regards,

04-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Is this a stupid request? I'd like the distance of focus displayed in the view finder so I wouldn't have to drop the camera to see what the lens reads.
Doesn't seem like a stupid request to me, Ken, although I do think that dropping the camera to look at the lens is something you should reconsider. ;-)

What I wonder is, how would the camera calculate the distance to the point of focus? I'm not good at this stuff. Perhaps it's simple, although I suspect the camera is not already doing it. But I would also not be surprised if the calculation would need to know not just the focal length of the lens but also something about the lens's optical properties. In other words, the fact that we don't get this info now suggests to me that it might be trickier than you'd think.

Hoping somebody who understands these things well weighs in here.

Will
04-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know about this idea Ken... There are lenses that tells the camera what distance they are set to. Some of the Canon EF lenses does this. (The value is then used by the camera to adjust the flash.)

To me it is easier to use the viewfinder to determine all sorts of things with the picture: Focusing is shown on the matte screen. Using the DOF preview button gives you a reasonably good idea about what the DOF will look like. (A live preview a la Olympus 330/510 would be better. I hope Pentax does something similar in coming models.)

Modern viewfinder screens aren't the best: As they are made for AF cameras they are etched to give a reasonably light picture. This means the DOF seem to be bigger than it really is, and it makes for less conveniant manual focusing compared to older types of viewfinder screens (which used to be available in many versions).

The conclusion can be to practise more with the DOF function, or use the digital preview more (if available), or buy another viewfinder screen. Or all of it.

my 2 cents,
04-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Doesn't seem like a stupid request to me, Ken, although I do think that dropping the camera to look at the lens is something you should reconsider. ;-)

Will
Wil, nobody ever accused me of being an English major that's for sure. I still think it would be a good idea but like you I am not knowledgeable about the viability of doing this. I am guessing it's not an easy task since it seems nobody does it. OH well.

Thanks,

04-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've ordered the magnifier Jonas. Maybe that will help these tired old eyes a little. That, and a lot more practice might help. Even if it doesn't, this is turning into a great learning experience along with being a tremendous amount of fun.

Thanks,