Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Using built-in flash on K100d with a manual lens

The other night, I tried to use the built-in flash on the K100d with a Vivitar Series 1 lens for some indoor shots and found that the fastest shutter speed I can have is 1/200. As the flash was more than powerful for what I needed, the only way to correctly expose was by using larger aperture settings. Using the AE-L to have the camera meter for me didn't work as it computed the shutter speed without taking into account that the built-in flash would be in use.

Is there anything that I'm missing when using the built-in flash with a manual lens? Is the limitation on the fastest shutter speed normal?

Fyi, the camera was in the 'M' mode, with the MF and SR on.

Thanks.

04-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that is normal, though my K100 shows 180 as the fastest shutter. The minimum distance for the built in flash is .7 meters with the DA Auto lens, closer than that will over expose (per manual for Pentax DA series). With an Auto lens you frame your shot wide open and the camera will close the Aperture in time for the flash. With a manual lens I find I can hardly see anything with the Aperture nearly closed in a dim room. So I frame with Aperture wide, then hope I don't move when I close down!

Novice, but learning fast...
04-18-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According to the manual, the on-board flash always fires at full power with pre-A lenses on the K100D (same goes for the K10D). Since the sync speed is 1/180s, your only other options are therefore to close down the aperture, or step back.