Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by maleek Quote
We actually have a guy who posts at these forums who wrote a book about the K100D. For five bucks you can buy it as a PDF, or settle for the free excerpt (which is quite big!). Good luck making good use of it.

k10dbook home
Thanks!

Just downloaded it!

$5.00 a'int bad!

Last edited by res3567; 05-09-2009 at 01:40 PM.
05-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metering with manual lenses on K10D (& K20?)

Following the advice of any number of other forum members, I ordered an LL-60 focusing screen and replaced the screen in my K10D - I had the LL-80 in there with grid lines. The LL-60 also has grid lines, but in thirds instead of quarters. Big deal. What is a big deal is that my M lenses meter perfectly. The only problem is that the aperture on my old M 400 is too slow for green button metering, but I prefer to use the DOF preview and scale metering anyway, so It's not a big deal.

Meter correctly! Buy and install LL-60 screen. By the way, it still meters perfectly with my DA and A lenses.
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Following the advice of any number of other forum members, I ordered an LL-60 focusing screen and replaced the screen in my K10D - I had the LL-80 in there with grid lines. The LL-60 also has grid lines, but in thirds instead of quarters. Big deal. What is a big deal is that my M lenses meter perfectly. The only problem is that the aperture on my old M 400 is too slow for green button metering, but I prefer to use the DOF preview and scale metering anyway, so It's not a big deal.

Meter correctly! Buy and install LL-60 screen. By the way, it still meters perfectly with my DA and A lenses.
How much and were can I get it?
05-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
How much and were can I get it?
Got to e-Bay and do a search on "Pentax Screen". It usually shows up in the stores on line, not the auctions. It cost about $53 including shipping.

The store name on eBay is japan world store. I think this link will work:
eBay Store - Japan World Store: Blu-ray, JVC Victor, Watches

The listing price is $39.99 + shipping. It was well worth it to me. This store has 4,700 odd sales, and is still at 100% positive feedback. That's pretty close to a miracle!

05-10-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got to e-Bay and do a search on "Pentax Screen". It usually shows up in the stores on line, not the auctions. It cost about $53 including shipping.

The store name on eBay is japan world store. I think this link will work:
eBay Store - Japan World Store: Blu-ray, JVC Victor, Watches

The listing price is $39.99 + shipping. It was well worth it to me. This store has 4,700 odd sales, and is still at 100% positive feedback. That's pretty close to a miracle!

And you aint got no problems.

I recieved a split screen from China and I am mixed in its performance.

First of, I aint use to usuing split screens for manual focusing.

The closest I ever got to using something like that was the screen in my K1000.

Using my DSLR which has nothing in the center, this split screen is taking some time getting use to.

As for metering, about the same as my stock screen. ( maybe a little better)

This was not one of the more popular screens (like from jfinance).

Your take on using split screens and do you have any now?
05-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

... <snip> ...
As for metering, about the same as my stock screen. ( maybe a little better)

This was not one of the more popular screens (like from jfinance).

Your take on using split screens and do you have any now?
I don't use split image screens. When you are trying to focus with a 400/5.6 + 1.4 or 1.7X, they black out. I grew up with plain matte, and that is what I still use. The technique is to go past the point of focus and rock closer further until you get focus. After enough practise ( a few days should be enough ) you get good at it.
05-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't use split image screens. When you are trying to focus with a 400/5.6 + 1.4 or 1.7X, they black out. I grew up with plain matte, and that is what I still use. The technique is to go past the point of focus and rock closer further until you get focus. After enough practise ( a few days should be enough ) you get good at it.
Yea you are right.

Doing tests right now with a 100-300 lens with and without a TC and it is blacking out bigtime!

05-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yea you are right.

Doing tests right now with a 100-300 lens with and without a TC and it is blacking out bigtime!
They start to do that at about f/5.6 I've found, and when they do it, "spot" metering is dead.
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They start to do that at about f/5.6 I've found, and when they do it, "spot" metering is dead.
Why is that?

That sucks!
05-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why is that?

That sucks!
The spot metering goes off when half the area it is looking at in the middle of the screen is blacked out. A split image focusing aid (and micro prisms as well) black out after certain f/stops, and now you have a circle in the middle of the screen that is half black. If you work hard at it, you can choose which of the two sides you want black, but I find them way too annoying. The black out is caused by the angle of the image coming into the screen, and it is too narrow because of the f/stop of the lens to light both sides at the same time. Simplistic answer.
05-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #26

I also got a K100d super from a closing wolf camera store recently. I paid just a mere $184. I felt like I robbed the place! I have been trying to find someone to review that ownuser battery grip to see if its worth it and if it is a hassle having to leave the panel door open for the plugs. Anyone know?