Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #1

Dropped it, now K10D won't turn on

I dropped my K10D while hiking around Angkor Wat on morning (luckily after I got good sunrise photos) and now it won't turn on. The 16-50 on the front of it survived just fine and there isn't any obvious physical damage to the body, even if I peer inside. I'm living in Beijing right now and will sort out finding someone to take a proper look at it-- but does anyone here have any experience with this or some guesses at what's wrong? Again, the body looks just fine but it won't turn on nor will the indicator lights flash when I switch batteries or pop in an SD card.

The drop was two-stage: the first drop was 3 feet and was broken by wood (the camera landed on the back/bottom edge) and the second was just 10 inches or so from that ledge, with a bounce off a table leg (lens front straight on to the leg), and finally onto a stone floor (the camera resting properly on it's bottom side).

Cheers,
Ryan

05-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get Pentax Service Centre in Beijing to have a look at it. Something may have come loose.
05-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry about your camera failing.... Any number of things could have happened to the internal electronics from the shock of the fall. I had a situation where I fell and broke my wrist, and my camera went flying and landed on asphalt... Surprisingly, my K20D survived, BUT it landed on my Tamron 18-250mm zoom lens, broke it in two, and then landed on the corner of the battery grip, which probably saved the camera. In addition, when I fell, I landed on my side where I had a Pentax 50-135mm SDM lens in a pouch... that lens broke as well, so in the space of a few seconds, I lost $1200 worth of lenses. I don't know which dismayed me worse.... the fact that I broke my wrist, or losing my two lenses....

Alex
05-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I hate when that happens, first your then you are

Sorry to hear of the fall, I know now it feels

You could try the AC adapter but what good would it do even if it worked.

The camera obviously took a high g-force impact and something gave, I guess we all know that. I have heard of the SD card reader not working after a fall, the OVF glass breaking, but I have never read of it not working at all. Pentax gives free estimates. At least if it worked fine with the AC adapter you will know it was not completely fatal and the repair cost should be reasonable, but you never know with Pentax.

05-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I hate when that happens, first your then you are

Sorry to hear of the fall, I know now it feels

You could try the AC adapter but what good would it do even if it worked.

The camera obviously took a high g-force impact and something gave, I guess we all know that. I have heard of the SD card reader not working after a fall, the OVF glass breaking, but I have never read of it not working at all. Pentax gives free estimates. At least if it worked fine with the AC adapter you will know it was not completely fatal and the repair cost should be reasonable, but you never know with Pentax.
I feel your pain.

Check this out!

Scroll down to my response on this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/58701-k100d-viewfi...e-scratch.html
05-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
repair cost

The shop here in Beijing (which costs 50 RMB to take a look, fee waived if I choose to repair it) says the main board is shot and will cost 2700 RMB ($400) to repair. How about that? Might as well just buy a new one...

Anyone else been quoted a main board price that high?
05-15-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feralryan Quote
The shop here in Beijing (which costs 50 RMB to take a look, fee waived if I choose to repair it) says the main board is shot and will cost 2700 RMB ($400) to repair. How about that? Might as well just buy a new one...

Anyone else been quoted a main board price that high?
You could almost buy a new one AND a backup for that price. "Main board needs to be replaced" is the standard answer when they don't know what's wrong - I'd be cautious.