Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
CameraAddicts.com: K10D's for $750 US

So... has anyone had any experiences or read anything about CameraAddict.com? They're advertising K10D bodies for $750 US; phoned them and they claim these are unopened US market products with US warranties, and all the goodies are listed as included: Here's the link:
Pentax K10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body) - Camera Addict

That's about $100 cheaper than Adorama by way of Amazon.com, and about $70 cheaper than the lowest Amazon.com linked store. The old adage about "If it's probably too good to be true, it probably isn't true" is flashing in front of my eyes, but saving $100 to put towards other new camera goodies makes researching these guys well worthwhile.

Anybody have any experiences or war stories to relate?

04-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #2

I would stay away from them...

Camera Addict Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

I would check out B&H, they have a K10D for $849. And for $10 more, their kit includes a 2GB Sandisk SD card. That is what I ordered and although the card is claimed to be a little slow for this camera, I don't notice. I am pissed though, I ordered that kit a month ago for $959

Pentax SLR Digital Cameras - Digital & 35mm Film Cameras

Plus, you get a reputable store...
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I wouldn't do it, that's for sure.

Camera Addict Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

Anywhere that lists prices significantly lower than Amazon or B&H is a scam. Period.
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If only I had hit "Submit Reply" earlier...

04-18-2007, 09:26 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yeesh! How come Google didn't spit out the links to that stuff?

Well that's pretty interesting. Verbally, over the phone, they assured me the camera was for the US market, not grey market Asian/European, etc. I also sent an email to them, reiterating what I was told over the phone and asking them to confirm that in their reply.

So... it will be interesting to see what their reply says - if it arrives at all.

Well, they might be a possibility if you could actually walk into their store, inspect what you wanted, try it out, check out the contents of the box, and then buy and walk out if you were happy. But over the internet or by phone? I think not.

At the moment I have the body sitting in my Amazon cart at $849 with another $34 for a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB card with all the included goodies. Getting an Amazon Visa card at the time of purchase will get me a $30 credit (we will explore what that deal is when the time comes), so I'm probably pretty close to what's available at B&H or anywhere else at the moment. I've been pretty happy dealing with Amazon up to now, particularly if there are any problems whatsoever. The order for the 540FGZ flash will have to go to TriState and the Sigma 17-70 is around $40 cheaper at Delaware, but I'd get those from Amazon as well if the flash was available and if the lens was closer in cost to Delaware's price.

P.S. Are they one of the reasons many photographers these days seem to refer to it as "Crooklyn"?

Thanks for finding those links for me guys.
04-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Beach Camera has the body for $849, free shipping, no hassles and I got mine yesterday in 2 days....sometimes cheaper is not better. The shipping costs from all the different stores on Amazon will get you...watch out...
04-19-2007, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
YWell, they might be a possibility if you could actually walk into their store, inspect what you wanted, try it out, check out the contents of the box, and then buy and walk out if you were happy. But over the internet or by phone? I think not.
About that...you might find this site interesting: Pictures/Photos Album: Brooklyn StoreFronts
04-19-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

They apparently go by a variety of names: A&M, Preferred Photo LLC, PreferredPhoto.com and PreferedPhoto.com, Camera Addict, CameraAddict.com

04-19-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Abe's of Maine (Welcome to Abes of Maine) has the K10D body for $829, that also includes a 1G memory card and free shipping. I got my K100D from Abes - I've had good service and fast delivery from Abes.
04-19-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

From what I've seen, Abe's is the same bait-and-switch scam. And they're in New Jersey
04-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #11
Forum Member

Or you can order one from me for $850 KIT.
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I originally ordered my K100D from one of the many Broadway camera "stores", the price was over $100 less than most places and they were including 2 lenses instead of just one. I ordered online, then got an e-mail saying I had to confirm it over the phone. When I called, they tried to sell me several other things, including a warranty and batteries & a charger for over $100. I explained I didn't want the warranty, and I already had all the accessories, including batteries & a charger. The guy got very nasty with me, eventually ended up hanging up on me, then I received an e-mail shortly afterwards that my order was out of stock and my order was cancelled.

I know several other people that had the same type of thing happen.

Carol
04-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
About that...you might find this site interesting: Pictures/Photos Album: Brooklyn StoreFronts
Ha haaaaaaa... that's pretty funny, although not exactly unexpected. I guess that's why I keep hearing it called "Crooklyn".

Still, for those who DO have a storefront, if you were living or in the area, it might be worth your while to go to the storefront, physically inspect whatever you were looking at, and then either buy it or not. Pretty tough for them to screw with you if you don't hand over your credit card until you're satisfied with the goods being just exactly what you want.

I have done that in other areas of interest with firms that had poor mail order reputations. Sometimes it is a waste of time, and sometimes once you get there and start looking they don't want to deal with you - but sometimes you get some pretty good prices for your trouble.

Anyways, I'm not leaving Montana for a trip to "Crooklyn" anytime this week.
04-19-2007, 11:39 AM   #14

If it sounds too good to be true..........
04-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Try Here

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
So... has anyone had any experiences or read anything about CameraAddict.com? They're advertising K10D bodies for $750 US; phoned them and they claim these are unopened US market products with US warranties, and all the goodies are listed as included: Here's the link:
Pentax K10D, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera (Camera Body) - Camera Addict

That's about $100 cheaper than Adorama by way of Amazon.com, and about $70 cheaper than the lowest Amazon.com linked store. The old adage about "If it's probably too good to be true, it probably isn't true" is flashing in front of my eyes, but saving $100 to put towards other new camera goodies makes researching these guys well worthwhile.

Anybody have any experiences or war stories to relate?
No, but I would not buy from anyone but B&H in NY, or perhaps Adorama.

I bought my body only at $815 new back in December of 2006 from Cayman Camera. Very nice folks with a small camera shop in the Cayman Islands who happen to get good prices on US Pentax gear with the full US warranty, which I recently had to put to the test when I returned my K10D for focus issues. There was no issue with the warranty. Pentax sent me a new body that focuses just fine. I buy other non-Pentax stuff from them for work and find their Pentax pricing to be very competitive.

I believe that they have a K10D or two in stock. Ask for Colleen, who runs the shop with her husband Andy.

Cayman Camera - Cayman Islands

I have the 16-50 and 50-135 DA* lenses on pre-order with them now also at what looks to be very competitive prices.

Ray