Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: When do you plan to buy the new K?
As soon as it comes out!! 1413.21%
Wait a month or two. 1716.04%
Wait six months or so. 2018.87%
A year, let that price drop and let the bugs be worked out. 4744.34%
Never! 87.55%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CaymanImaging Quote
Let's say that it costs $1,700 at release USD. Of course the specs are all over the place, but let's assume all the stuff we've seen on here are correct. When are you going to buy it?
I know that Pentax is planning to announce a new camera on May 20 or 21.

That's all I know.

I don't know what the camera will be called, I don't know what its price will be, I don't know what any of its specs will be.

So I, for one, find it impossible to answer your question at this time.

I am, like many others, eagerly awaiting the announcement. But for a much different reason than most people--I can't wait for the announcement because then finally all the speculation threads will come to an end, and we can all turn our attention to the disappointment threads that will follow the announcement.

Last edited by MPrince; 05-11-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: punctuation
05-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #47

Never, at that price I would pick up 2 K20Ds...it certainly is an upgrade from the k20 but i doubt it'll be 2X better...
05-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #48
Veteran Member

My K10D (and now seldom used DS) are adequate for me at this time. I resisted the urge to get a K20D for what I considered to be small incremental gains (versus cost) relative to what I shoot. As (I think) one of the few on here that is serious about printing, I also have a fair amount of time and money invested in that end and will only be interested in a future upgrade that will deliver higher resolution and better IQ. Most of my printing is in the range from 8X12 to 12X18 and results are pretty good with well executed shots with the K10D (and the DS up to 10X15). Using the K10D has forced me to think a bit more like when I shot with film because I know that I can't crop a lot and always get good results when printing; that's not a bad thing either.
If the new body is better for what I would use it for, I would consider getting one after the bugs are worked out and the price is somewhat lower. Although a full frame camera would be conceptually appealing, I don't think that I would spring for one, and more lenses; I have access to MF film cameras and can use them for the occasional project where I want to print really big.
05-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #49
Veteran Member

I'll skip this one. Just got a K20D for the unbeliavably low price they're selling for now and plan to stick with it until a FF camera comes out in 2017.

05-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although it wasn't listed as an option to the original poll question, my honest answer to the question of whether or not I'll get a K7 is"I really don't know". If I was going to get one, I'd most likely wait for a good long while before getting one--I might get lucky and get a really good deal on a gently used one, just like I did when I bought the K20D from someone who was jumping off the Pentax ship. $1500-1700 for a brand new body is just a little too rich for my wallet at this point. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd pick up a great deal like this:
0296B113 Canon EOS-5D Digital SLR Camera Body Kit with EF 24-105L Image Stabilizer Lens (the body alone is $1999.95). Before anything like that would happen, my husband would have to present me with a winning lottery ticket or a big pile of money would simply have to fall out of the sky and into my lap. Seriously though, the price would need to get down to around $1000 before I'd really start considering getting one.

With that being said, I'm pretty happy with my K20D, so I really don't have an overwhelming desire to replace it anytime soon.

I am curious to find out more about the K200's successor, though.

Heather
05-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
None of the poll options kind of fit for me right now. I'm happy with my K10D and my money is going for glass and some other stuff. If this camera turns out to be something really great I may consider an upgrade but if it's just a few more megapixels and video I'll pass.
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #52
Veteran Member

My K200D does everything I need at the moment. If it dies, then I might look at the K-7. Or I might just buy another used K200D.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."