Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2007, 08:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New accessory for my K300/4???

No, not a tripod collar, just pulled the trigger on a new K10d. Ya I know, why did I wait so long! It should be here for this weekend (I hope) and I'll most likely shoot my 1st pics with one of my M or K lenses. So my question is to those others who shoot with the K10 and manual lenses is; what is the basic setup and procedure for shooting with manual lenses and the K10???

Thanks

04-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
going manual on a K10D

Clayton Jones had posted this on dprievew. I saved it because it was so nicely written. Hope I don't offend by simply quoting his instructions...

"Just figured out how to use manual lenses on the K10. With these settings the aperture is controlled with the aperture ring and shutter speed is controlled with the front wheel.

1) Set focus lever to MF

2) Set Mode dial to M

3) In the Custom Settings menu set "Using Aperture Ring" to "Permitted". This can be left there because it doesn't affect auto lenses with ring set to "A".

4) In the Custom Settings menu the "Preview Method" can be either Optical or Digital.

The Optical method is really nice because when you pull the Preview trigger lever the digital equivalent of a match needle exposure meter appears in the viewfinder and top LCD panel. It takes a bit of getting used to, but when the index finger is pulling the Preview lever the middle finger can roll the front wheel to change shutter speed and the left hand can turn the aperture ring. The exposure meter will change as you make changes. This can all be done with camera at eye level. The only drawback is not knowing what aperture you are selecting. You have to pull the camera down to see the ring.

But for tripod work that's not such an issue and the Digital preview method might be better. It takes a picture and the histogram can be examined to determine exposure. All in all it's a remarkably good system.

If you want to use SR, set SR ON before turning on the camera. You will be asked to specify the focal length. If you turn SR on after the camera is on I haven't found any way to set the focal length.

My biggest K10 complaint is that the flash housing protrudes out over the aperture ring so you have to get way out over the front and look back under the thing to see the ring. I keep wanting to saw it off with a hack saw but that probably isn't a good idea [g]."
04-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjwncpro Quote
No, not a tripod collar, just pulled the trigger on a new K10d. Ya I know, why did I wait so long! It should be here for this weekend (I hope) and I'll most likely shoot my 1st pics with one of my M or K lenses. So my question is to those others who shoot with the K10 and manual lenses is; what is the basic setup and procedure for shooting with manual lenses and the K10???

Thanks
There has been a lot of discussion about this but to answer the question.

You first must go into the custom functions and set the function for manual lenses, (I forget the exact function name at present and am away from the manual).

once that is set, I do the following.

Set the camera in Manual mode.

set the lens apature and then press the "green button" this will give you the shutter speed for the apature set.

My usual shooting process is to point the camera at something grey, and meter off it, as there is quite a large difference depending on what you meter off of. for me, a paved road is about right (18% grey). I then leave the settings alone until the light changes (i might check from time to time but that is all)

The only other setting you can use is automatic, but in that mode the camera does not stop the lens down at all, so you always shoot wide open.

Note that the K10D does not support TTL flash, and as a result flash photography is difficult with manual lenses. You can only use the "auto" function on flashes such as the AF540FGZ.

Also note that with manual lenses the camera will prompt at start up for the focal length. This is for shake reduction
04-19-2007, 03:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Lowell for the info. I figured it was almost the same as the DS operation except the using of the green button. My main concern was the K10 settings for use with SR. I thought I'd get a heads up on anything that the manual did not quite clarify...

04-19-2007, 04:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

set aperture ring = permitted in custom menu and green button in TAV and M to TV shift. Some (like me) get overexposure when using camera suggested reading so check your histogram. Also if using a zoom I set sr to the lower focal length, like 35mm for my 35-70mm so I don't have to fool with it. I figure a little sr is better than none( or too much ).
tom
04-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Tom...