Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jnorth Quote
For some it might not feel 'right', I personally can not understand that, and for some it might take a tiny bit of use to feel and appreciate the benefits.
For me, the grip seems to pinch my pinky finger because the turn the grip makes is a little too soon for my hand. I also don't like the feeling that the camera suddenly doubles in weight when I have on the grip. And lastly, it's a real pain to find a bag that fits the camera and grip well.

All that said though, I will leave the grip on. It seems that the extra length helps steady the camera in my hand. The additional weight also helps with that. The camera w/grip also feels subconsciously more "professional" in my hand. (Maybe it will make me think a little more before I take a shot.)

Unfortunately, I still could find no modern bag that fit the camera w/grip well. However to my chagrin, the 35-year-old canvas bag I bought with my K1000 fits perfectly. It also holds more stuff in the same amount of space. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

04-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Hi Will,

I purchased the battery grip, for my K10D, due (mainly) to the better (to me) hand-fit, as well as the increased weight. The card & remote storage areas are nice, though I keep my cards stored in a storage case which is kept in my bag. The IR remote, on the other hand, does keep residence in the respective BG's compartment. I am infamous for losing small things , so that storage area has really come in handy for me. What this grip offers for vertical shootings, as well as allowing a second battery - always on hand, and at the ready - were all the reasons I needed for purchasing it.

It is serving it purposes exceedingly well, for me, and I would never want to do without it.
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #18

Try this for yourself

I find the K10D is similar in size to a 12oz aluminium beverage can (very common here in the US). Take a 12oz can and hold it in your right hand. That's the feel of the K10D with the D-BG2 grip. Now, take your hand and move it down just a bit so that you're only holding onto the can with your thumb, index, middle, and ring fingers (and your smallest finger is under the can.) To me, that's what the K10D feels like without the grip.

I find having my pinky "hanging" underneath doesn't feel right and the extra length more than makes up for the slight extra weight. Besides, I shoot a lot with some pretty heavy lenses (FA* 28-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, etc.) and the camera is a little easier to manage with a full grip.
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #19

I shoot with (2) Tenba P859 bags and these can easily accomodate the K10D with grip, along with several lenses. These bags will hold a TON of stuff and are super durable. To give you an idea of what they'll hold, here's a list of stuff I carry in mine:
1st bag:
- K10D w/ grip
- FA* 28-70/2.8 mounted on camera
- Sigma 70-200/2.8
- FA 50/1.4
- FA 35/2
- FA 100/2.8 Macro
- Tamron 17-28/2.8-4
- AF 540FGZ
- Misc stuff (filters, batteries, etc.)

2nd bag:
- K10D w/ grip
- DA 16-45/4 mounted on camera
- FA* 300/4.5
- M 50/1.4
- M 28/2.8
- M 135/3.5
- Zenitar 16/2.8 FE
- Tamron 2x TC
- Vivitar 70-210/3.5 Series 1
- (2) AF 360FGZ
- Misc stuff (remotes, batteries, etc.)

Of course, weight is an issue because each of the bags weigh in around 20 lbs but these bags are very durable and will protect the contents from almost anything short of dunking it in a river...

QuoteOriginally posted by egarrard Quote
For me, the grip seems to pinch my pinky finger because the turn the grip makes is a little too soon for my hand. I also don't like the feeling that the camera suddenly doubles in weight when I have on the grip. And lastly, it's a real pain to find a bag that fits the camera and grip well.

All that said though, I will leave the grip on. It seems that the extra length helps steady the camera in my hand. The additional weight also helps with that. The camera w/grip also feels subconsciously more "professional" in my hand. (Maybe it will make me think a little more before I take a shot.)

Unfortunately, I still could find no modern bag that fit the camera w/grip well. However to my chagrin, the 35-year-old canvas bag I bought with my K1000 fits perfectly. It also holds more stuff in the same amount of space. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

04-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

After reading some of the other comments, I remembered that I used my Super Program (film) with the motor drive on it all the time whether the drive was on or not. The camera always felt/handled better with the drive/grip on. Might have been because the body was so small (a plus most of the time) that if you held it too long it became uncomfortable.
Maybe we to classify GBA, along with the other variants of LBA.
04-20-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
Forum Member

There is always going to be an element of personal preference in this. For me the grip has become an essential. I never use a camera strap and the additional hand hold provided by the grip makes transition from landscape to portrait orientation of the camera effortless and secure. I can't imagine doing without it now.
04-20-2007, 05:42 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't have a K10D - but I sure wish the K110/K100 had a grip available.

I like the larger hand hold, the feel, and (most importantly) the vertical shutter release.

-Dan
04-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
I don't have a K10D - but I sure wish the K110/K100 had a grip available.
Look here: (click on the images)
DSLR-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - EOS Grifferweiterung ähnlich Batteriegriff

04-21-2007, 01:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I love the grip. I have large hands so the camera feels much better with the grip. Having a spot to keep a spare card and the remote (always with me) is a big advantage too.
04-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robsphoto Quote
go to a store and try it out,... your hands will do the talking....
Thanks, Rob. This was of course the best advice. I went to the local Wolf Camera shop yesterday. There's a salesman there who owns a K10D himself with the grip. He didn't have his camera with him and he didn't have a K10D grip in stock, either, but he pulled out a Nikon D200 and put a grip on it to show me the difference it makes. What I realized in an instant is that I'd completely misunderstood WHY you all say you like the grip when shooting in portrait orientation. It's not that the grip gives you more to hang on to on the right side of the camera (which is on top when you shoot in portrait). It's that the grip gives you SOMETHING to hang on to on the bottom (which is on the right when you shoot portrait). Without the grip, you have to let the camera hang down from your right hand. With the grip, although you've rotated the camera body 90 degrees, you can hold it "normally", with your left hand underneath and your right hand on the right side - grasping the grip. I suspect this is what everybody was trying to tell me, but I didn't get it until I got this demo yesterday.

By the way, the Nikon D200 grip has a shutter button on the right side of the grip (what becomes the top in portrait orientation), and settings dials, too. Looks like the grip for the K10D has very similar extra controls on the grip. I can see how this would be useful in portrait shooting.

This in itself doesn't instantly sell me on the grip, but at least I see now how the grip really does more than enhance the camera - it really does add something. The question for me is, do I want to lug the camera around with the grip on it all the time? I have been carrying my K10D with me everywhere except the bathroom. I'm not concerned about the extra weight, actually, I'd just consider that a plus for my pathetic personal exercise regimen. I just wonder if the grip is useful in ready-for-anything mode, which is the mode I spend a lot of time in. I'm thinking about it.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who responded.

Will
04-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by egarrard Quote

I currently am using the LowePro Slingshot 200. I have other LP bags too that also hold camera/grip and mounted lens as well.

I can leave the grip on my K10D with one of the following lens mounted and fit the rest of the lenses in my bag, but leaving the 50 or 28 mounted is not ideal:
FA 80-320
DA 16-45
FA 28-200
A50 1.4
A28 2.8
A100 macro
DA 10-17

When I want my 540 flash, it is in a lens bag attached through the front loops of the Slingshot. Visible dust clean kit, lens hoods, filters, and Expo disk are in the front and top pockets. Monopod attached through the side loop if needed when not carried.
05-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
followup 5-17-07

I thought I'd post a follow-up here, as I started this thread.

I bought the grip for the K10D. I've had it for over a week now, and I'm keeping it.

I am not sure whether it's a very good thing for my battery use or not. On the one hand, it's obviously nice to have two good batteries in there at the start of a shoot and not have to worry about changing batteries suddenly during the shoot. But to be honest, I seldom had to change batteries suddenly. As soon as I got a warning that the battery was getting low, I would start looking for a break (say, a time out in a game) where I could switch batteries. Now I feel like I'm getting less feedback about the levels of the batteries and to be honest, that's making me a bit uneasy.

But aside from the battery issue, the grip qua grip is, for me anyway, a welcome and handy thing - "handy" in the root sense of the word. When I moved from my old Canon PowerShot S3 IS to the Pentax K100D, I really liked the fact that the DSLR was bigger. When I moved to the K10D, I liked the fact that the newer camera was a little bigger. But with the grip installed, I've reached the Goldilocks point, where the feel of the camera is just right.

Yes, it's nice to be able to turn the camera sideways for portrait shots and use the controls on the grip to set exposure and click the shutter - and holding the camera in portrait orientation is indeed MUCH easier with the grip installed. But I am pleased to find that I like the grip almost as much even when I'm holding the camera in normal landscape orientation. I don't think I'm a gorilla or anything, but without the grip, I have a couple fingers dangling off the bottom of the camera; with the grip, I can hold the camera firmly with all the fingers on my right hand.

I will say also that I LIKE the increased heft of the camera with the grip attached.

Couple very minor negatives. I was taking some portrait shots yesterday with a tripod. I attached the camera (with the grip) to the head of the tripod, then rotated it out 90 degrees. I anticipated the fact that the heavy camera was going to pull the tripod over sideways, and I had hung my camera bag off the other side of the tripod as a counterpoise. Just a reminder that heavier carries a few risks with it. I also find myself having to try hard NOT to touch the controls on the grip by accident. When holding the camera horizontally, I try hard to grab the main body of the camera and to keep pressure away from the green button on the grip.

All in all, though, it's a definite plus. I took it off yesterday for a while - and I missed it. So at the moment, I'm leaving it on most of the time.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post. You were all very helpful.

Will
05-17-2007, 03:43 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Thanks for the update Will. I have been vacillating on the whole "to buy or not to buy " grip issue also and I am glad to hear some input from some one who delt with both sides of this subject.
Guess I will have to get off the fence at some point myself.

Kenn
05-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Will, great post and glad to see you are enjoying it. I to have been waffeling. I think a trip to the store is in order for me. I do not have a spare battery and can use one and a grip may be a way to go while I am at it. Again thanks for the post and your follow up.
05-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Now that I am used to using the grip I keep it on all the time. The only problem is that it has complicated my search for the "perfect" bag. After years of using shoulder bags with my film cameras I find that I can't get used to backpacks, slings, etc. Have been shopping for a shoulder bag that will hold a K10D with lens on and two additional lens. One of the Billingham bags was just right, until I started using the grip, which makes the body too wide for the bag. The search goes on....