Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the multitudes that are complaining about getting tired while holding the K10D vertically...

Try holding the camera without the battery grip with your right hand on the bottom and use your thumb to press the shutter button. This may seem awkward at first but it can give you much better control and since your elbow isn't flailing around out in the air can be much streadier.

I don't have a K10D but I've used this hold for years on cameras that make the K10D look like a featherweight.

Mike

05-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #32

I have had the grip for a few weeks now. Here are my thoughts.

I like having the ability to switch between horizontal and vertical shooting and have buttons and controls for both. I had it for a confirmation and a baptism and am glad that I had it on since I shot a lot of vertical shots. Without it, its hard to hold the camera and get a vertical shot (hard but not impossible).

Now for things I don't neccessarily like about the grip. It makes the camera bigger and weigh a little but not much. Its not something that would wear me out after a long day of shooting, and I'm skinny.

I still haven't got used to the size of the camera with it on while shooting horizontal. I prefer it without for those cases. But I think with time I will get used to it.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I got about 400-450 shots out of an aftermarket battery in the grip with the camera set to "grip first." A little thing that irks me is that I have to take the grip off to get to the battery in the camera.

Oh, and p.s. I do say the grip for the K10D is one of the best looking grips around. The one on the 20D/30D, and on my friends 400D all look out of place since they aren't molded to look like it fits the camera.
05-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
another con, another pro

A con or negative that I didn't mention earlier. I use the camera strap that came with the K10D. It's not that I like the strap, exactly, it's that I'm a pretty cautious person, and keeping the camera around my neck nearly all the time reduces the chance that I'll drop the darned thing. Well, when I shoot with the grip attached and I turn the camera 90 degrees to the left (portrait orientation), the strap kind of gets in the way. By no means a deal-breaker, just an annoyance. But enough of an annoyance that I find myself trying to think of alternatives.

And another thing in the grip's favor: there's a place inside the grip for the wireless remote model "F". I finally got one today. So I'm taking full advantage of the storage space: extra battery, extra 2 GB card, + the remote control.

Will
05-19-2007, 07:22 PM   #34

I tried the factory grip and found it made the camera too large. Besides I prefer to hold the camera firmly in my left hand. So I dug around in my camera closet and came up with an old L-shaped flash bracket. Cost $0.00.

Last edited by SRT-202; 05-19-2007 at 07:29 PM.
05-31-2007, 04:40 AM   #35

Usage of batteries.

Hello everybody,
Some strange thing I have with the grip battery.
I have a K10D with a battery grip. Once I loaded the set with two fully charged batteries. When I chose in the menu that the camera should use the battery in the grip firstly and in the camera secondly then the warning popped up saying that the battery was depleted. But when I chose option "Auto" it showed that everything was OK - both batteries were fully charged.
The software of the camera had been updated to the latest (it's still the same, by the way).
Any ideas on that?

And by the way, what's the algorithm of batteries usage with "Auto" setting?

Thanks.
05-31-2007, 01:41 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by s-tet Quote
Hello everybody,
Some strange thing I have with the grip battery.
I have a K10D with a battery grip. Once I loaded the set with two fully charged batteries. When I chose in the menu that the camera should use the battery in the grip firstly and in the camera secondly then the warning popped up saying that the battery was depleted. But when I chose option "Auto" it showed that everything was OK - both batteries were fully charged.
The software of the camera had been updated to the latest (it's still the same, by the way).
Any ideas on that?

And by the way, what's the algorithm of batteries usage with "Auto" setting?

Thanks.
I have the same issue with my K10D and grip. Not sure why it happens. I normally have it set to the grip first too since I don't want both batteries being depleted during a shoot. But the battery gage on the K10D is not very reliable to begin with. It will show full charge, then go down to 1-dot, and then all of a sudden it will show the depleted message.

I don't know what the algorithm is on Auto. But like I said before, I don't want both batteries being depleted at the same time.
05-31-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
... the battery gage on the K10D is not very reliable to begin with. It will show full charge, then go down to 1-dot, and then all of a sudden it will show the depleted message.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have the same situation with my K10. It seems that the power gauge is not really much use and a great argument for keeping at least one extra battery at hand in or out of the grip.
My biggest grip gripe is that it does not hold both batteries thus allowing a permanent attachment to the camera.
Kenn

05-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
I have the same issue with my K10D and grip. Not sure why it happens. I normally have it set to the grip first too since I don't want both batteries being depleted during a shoot. But the battery gage on the K10D is not very reliable to begin with. It will show full charge, then go down to 1-dot, and then all of a sudden it will show the depleted message.

I started this thread and early on (a few pages back) I raised this very issue. Now I've got the grip and a pair of batteries, and it turns out that it's not really that much of a problem after all.

There are two problems, both previously noted. First, I can't really tell when the battery in the body of the camera is being accessed or when it's starting to get low. That means that I sort of have to assume that it needs to be recharged. And that leads to the second problem, which is that it's a hassle to remove the grip.

But the second problem - removing the grip - is a minor hassle. I've gotten used to it. As for the first and more serious problem, per the advice I got from RBellevance, I just keep the batteries topped off: the night before a shoot, I remove the grip, take the battery out of the grip and charge it first. Then I remove the battery from the body of the camera and put it in the charger, and I put the battery that had been in the grip into the body of the camera. That way, I'm moving the batteries back and forth. Not sure, but this SEEMS like it might be a useful thing to do. At a minimum, I feel pretty sure that it's harmless.

I do think that my next purchase will be a THIRD battery. But I have yet to have the batteries die on me during a shoot, and I have done some shoots that lasted for hours and involved taking hundreds of photos.

Will
05-31-2007, 05:15 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Couple very minor negatives. I was taking some portrait shots yesterday with a tripod. I attached the camera (with the grip) to the head of the tripod, then rotated it out 90 degrees. I anticipated the fact that the heavy camera was going to pull the tripod over sideways, and I had hung my camera bag off the other side of the tripod as a counterpoise. Just a reminder that heavier carries a few risks with it. I also find myself having to try hard NOT to touch the controls on the grip by accident. When holding the camera horizontally, I try hard to grab the main body of the camera and to keep pressure away from the green button on the grip.

All in all, though, it's a definite plus. I took it off yesterday for a while - and I missed it. So at the moment, I'm leaving it on most of the time.

Thanks to all who responded to my original post. You were all very helpful.

Will
Hi Will,

Well it seems that you have become a happy grip shooter...

The only two things I have always wondered about is why they placed the new tripod mount out of allignment with the Lens mount and why the did not build it in.

Now there is a solution to the issue you mention above... it is called an L-bracket and as far as I know only Kirk makes a version to be used with grip... I simply love mine...

three quick pictures to show you the benefit:

regular portrait mode tripod situation:

Now with the L-bracket:

As I mainly use the smapper primes from pentax it may look odd, but i like the look of the K10D with grip and the DA21 attached
05-31-2007, 06:24 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Now there is a solution to the issue you mention above... it is called an L-bracket and as far as I know only Kirk makes a version to be used with grip... I simply love mine...

three quick pictures to show you the benefit: ...
Yep, that looks like it would work!

I think my kit is pretty complete right now - in the basic sense. But the one thing I'm missing is a good tripod. Reckon I'll have to spring for that before too long, and that one there looks pretty sweet.

By the way, what's with that side strap? What's it attach to on the bottom? And where can I get one of those? With the battery grip attached, the Pentax-supplied neck strap is basically a pain. I keep it around my neck mainly as insurance against dropping the camera. But the truth is, I've never dropped a camera. I recently FELL while holding the camera, but that's different and the strap doesn't do anything useful in that case. I'm thinking that the hand strap that you've got might be an improvement. Got a brand or model or supplier? I'm not even sure what to call it.

Will
05-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Yep, that looks like it would work!

I think my kit is pretty complete right now - in the basic sense. But the one thing I'm missing is a good tripod. Reckon I'll have to spring for that before too long, and that one there looks pretty sweet.

By the way, what's with that side strap? What's it attach to on the bottom? And where can I get one of those? With the battery grip attached, the Pentax-supplied neck strap is basically a pain. I keep it around my neck mainly as insurance against dropping the camera. But the truth is, I've never dropped a camera. I recently FELL while holding the camera, but that's different and the strap doesn't do anything useful in that case. I'm thinking that the hand strap that you've got might be an improvement. Got a brand or model or supplier? I'm not even sure what to call it.

Will
IT does indeed work... and very well at that.

The tripod in the picture is a Giottos MT8180 (did not stand the arctic climate too well)... It has been replaced with a velbon sherpa pro GF740 (much better tripod IMO) both are big and heavy but rock solid.
the head is a Acratech ultiamte ball head which I really am very pleased with.
Not the cheapes combo around but IMO a very solid one and that is what matters to me.

Well the straps is a Camdapter Top grain leather strap.
I prefer it over the a neck strap anytime and the best handstrap I have ever used.
I use it with the L-bracket, but there is a number of adaptor plates to choose from if you are not having something to attach it to...
A more thorough review of the camdapter has been posted here.
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Well the straps is a Camdapter Top grain leather strap.
I prefer it over the a neck strap anytime and the best handstrap I have ever used. I use it with the L-bracket, but there is a number of adaptor plates to choose from if you are not having something to attach it to... A more thorough review of the camdapter has been posted here.
Excellent - thanks for the links. I only regret that I didn't check into this about a week ago. I'm off in 36 hours for a vacation in the Rocky Mountains and now I'm going to spend the whole week wishing I had that strap!! Oh, well, it'll be available when I get back.

Will
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I, too, tired of the neckstrap - and ordered something similar from B&H (awaiting its arrival now). here is the link to what I got: Hakuba Camera Grip LH
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
I, too, tired of the neckstrap - and ordered something similar from B&H (awaiting its arrival now). here is the link to what I got: Hakuba Camera Grip LH
Nathan,

Let me know how you like it, please. Looks like I won't be able to act on this impulse for over a week, by which time you may have an opinion pro or con (pro, I hope, for your sake).

Will
06-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #45

i don't have my second battery yet, so i keep my only in the grip itself. but when i do i'm going to set it to chew on the grip battery first.

(btw you can set it to use the body battery first, the grip first, or let the camera choose. which one tastes better?)

that way when my grip runs out i can run off the in camera battery and switch out the bottom without losing power. (or is this a bad idea should i shut it off anyway?)

i agree with the satement to go check it out first. let your hands tell you if you need it now or at all. i have largish hands and so the bottom of my palm hangs off the body sans-grip. the grip just makes it more comfortable for me. although the body itself is comfortable regardless. that and i also tend to lose small things so the storage slots are nice.

i bought it the same time i bought my body, so i've never really shot without it, or even test drove it instore for that matter. my buddy has the same camera and no grip (maybe both of them do ?) and they shoot fine.

and yes. it makes it look intimidating. haha. but thats just a bonus in my book.