Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2007, 06:18 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
I, too, tired of the neckstrap - and ordered something similar from B&H (awaiting its arrival now). here is the link to what I got: Hakuba Camera Grip LH
I have that one as well... it is a nice strap, and I like it a lot for the K100D.

A word of warning though...

It is not large enough to fit the K10D with grip (the webbing is too short).

The baseplate is really not of the same quality as the camdapter one...
there is no option for a build in QR plate.

If you are not using a tripod a lot and shoots without grip it is a nice solution though.

06-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #47
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
it looks as if an external flash attachment should have a higher priority on my acquisitions list than the grip.
Will
will,
then you'll really need a grip. just a different type.

roy
06-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been on the fence about a grip for months. Finally I got a chance to play with a K10 and battery grip, along with a DA*50-135 mounted on it. I can see why some people love the grip, while others don't. Its extra weight and size makes the camera very awkward for my small hands. In fact, the Pentax rep (who's at Bel Air Camera today) handed me that set-up when I asked about the DA* lens - and my first reaction was that it was well beyond the weight I could manage. He took off the grip and I thought the lens was well-balanced and not all that heavy (certainly easier to use than my A*300, but that's another topic entirely).

It's definitely a personal matter, and I would always recommend someone play with one before getting one - it made far more of a difference than I thought it would. My grip envy has gone away completely (though my LBA is worse - he also showed me a 77mm Limited also - sigh!)!
06-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
I have that one as well... it is a nice strap, and I like it a lot for the K100D.

A word of warning though...

It is not large enough to fit the K10D with grip (the webbing is too short).

The baseplate is really not of the same quality as the camdapter one...
there is no option for a build in QR plate.

If you are not using a tripod a lot and shoots without grip it is a nice solution though.
Hi Thomas.

That strap arrived today, and it turned out that I paid just a little too much for it . Shortly after receiving it, I got a call from a local camera outlet that I had done some business with. I was one of the winners, in a drawing celebrating their length of years in service (I forgot how many), and won the "Master Lighting Guide" by Christopher Grey. While there to retrieve it, I noticed that they also had a similar Strap for $19.95 + tax. If I had gotten it here, I could have saved the $4.50 shipping charge from B&H. Oh well.

Anyway, I understand what you are saying about utilizing this strap with the K10D + grip. I NEVER use my camera without the grip (it just feels so good with it), and the strap is a little tight.

I will call them to see about returning it, because of the slightly ill-fitting of it, and (hopefully) should not have to pay shipping charges for the return. If all travels well with this, I will order the new one that you have - and have recommended. Thanks.

Last edited by NLAlston; 06-02-2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Wrong shipping charge previously entered.
06-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NLAlston Quote
Anyway, I understand what you are saying about utilizing this strap with the K10D + grip. I NEVER use my camera without the grip (it just feels so good with it), and the strap is a little tight.
Well, thanks to Nathan and to Thomas for the recommendations re straps. Looks like the one to go with is the camdapter item that Thomas recommended. I gather that it attaches to a plate of some sort that screws into the tripod, um, hole (?) on the bottom of the battery grip. Sounds like, if you remove the grip (say, to replace the battery in the body of the camera) you would just have the grip and the body attached to one another by the strap. Nobody seems to mention that it's a problem, so I guess it's not.

Will
06-01-2007, 04:19 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, thanks to Nathan and to Thomas for the recommendations re straps. Looks like the one to go with is the camdapter item that Thomas recommended. I gather that it attaches to a plate of some sort that screws into the tripod, um, hole (?) on the bottom of the battery grip. Sounds like, if you remove the grip (say, to replace the battery in the body of the camera) you would just have the grip and the body attached to one another by the strap. Nobody seems to mention that it's a problem, so I guess it's not.

Will
My pleasure...

You have to buy an adaptor plate for it and yes it attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom of the grip... (best part is that is that you are able to get the bottom plate with your favourite tripod QR plate build in (they have the Arca-swiss style that I use, plus a few manfrotto standards I think)...

I fo not see it as an issue at all... and it is rather practical in the field if you have depleted both batteries...
06-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
My pleasure...

You have to buy an adaptor plate for it and yes it attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom of the grip... (best part is that is that you are able to get the bottom plate with your favourite tripod QR plate build in (they have the Arca-swiss style that I use, plus a few manfrotto standards I think)...

I fo not see it as an issue at all... and it is rather practical in the field if you have depleted both batteries...
Hmm. So, I don't just buy the hand strap, I also have to buy some sort of a plate for the bottom of the battery grip, right? I'm not sure I'd know what to buy. I would prefer NOT to have something that adds a big bump to the bottom of the battery grip, if for no other reason that my wife will kill me if I set the camera on the dining room table and some new metal piece on the bottom of the grip makes a bad scratch. (It does not do that right now.) Right now I have a decent, but not excellent standard quick-release tripod. Any suggestion about the plate I might pick up? Or where I could look to review my options? Thanks,

Will
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. So, I don't just buy the hand strap, I also have to buy some sort of a plate for the bottom of the battery grip, right? I'm not sure I'd know what to buy. I would prefer NOT to have something that adds a big bump to the bottom of the battery grip, if for no other reason that my wife will kill me if I set the camera on the dining room table and some new metal piece on the bottom of the grip makes a bad scratch. (It does not do that right now.) Right now I have a decent, but not excellent standard quick-release tripod. Any suggestion about the plate I might pick up? Or where I could look to review my options? Thanks,

Will
Just had a look at their homepage again...

They have two QR versions,
The Arca swiss type, used by arca-swiss,kirk,RRS, Acratech and more
THe Manfrotto RC2 quick release... used by manfrotto.
and a standard version without QR mount...

My advise figure out what kind of head you will use and go from there or just order the standard for now and either remount when using tripod or buy a new adaptor when you needs changes...

there is acompability chart HERE that shows which will work with the K10D and which is recommended for the grip.

Btw, I am not related to camdapter in any other way than using their strap

06-01-2007, 07:45 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Well ya'll ,

It appears that I will be keeping this strap that I bought, from B&H. It turns out that I cannot locate the packaging that it arrived here in - so that's it. But you know? It isn't so bad. I have found that I 'DO' have enough strap length by which to afford a little greater hand space. So I WILL get use out of it.

Thanks all.