Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
So I have a K200D with an 18-50mm, a 1.4 50mm and a 55-300 zoom for under 1K, all new except the 1.4 with warranty.
For the other 1K I could take a nice trip.

Have fun with your old canon and big heavy lens. Good luck trying to make your 2K system work at anything less than a hundred feet.

We were talking about action in this thread.

You want to talk cheap, don't make me bring out my 10D.

05-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #62
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
We were talking about action in this thread.

You want to talk cheap, don't make me bring out my 10D.
So lets see your sports action shots with your canon
05-16-2009, 06:49 PM   #63
Veteran Member

So lets see your sports action shots with your canon
I hate sports so no reason to shoot them. But I do like birds. Here's a quick grab shot (it took off when a car drove by and spooked it and I just swung the lens around and snapped it, sorry about the shitty exposure but I was metered for where it was wandering around a second earlier). There's no way my K20D could've locked on fast enough to get the "face" focused. I don't claim to be a great photographer by any means, but my gear helps me get what I'm looking for.

And in case you asked about the 10D, don't have a ton but it does ok as far as tracking.

05-16-2009, 07:04 PM   #64
julianactive

I hate sports so no reason to shoot them. But I do like birds. Here's a quick grab shot (it took off when a car drove by and spooked it and I just swung the lens around and snapped it, sorry about the shitty exposure but I was metered for where it was wandering around a second earlier). There's no way my K20D could've locked on fast enough to get the "face" focused. I don't claim to be a great photographer by any means, but my gear helps me get what I'm looking for.

And in case you asked about the 10D, don't have a ton but it does ok as far as tracking.

Yawn.
Like I said, lots more to a shot than machine gun speed.

05-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Neither of my cameras do "machine gun speed" -- the 1Ds II tops out at 4fps and I think the 10D does 3 on a good day. Sorry you didn't like the shots though.
05-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #66
julianactive

Neither of my cameras do "machine gun speed" -- the 1Ds II tops out at 4fps and I think the 10D does 3 on a good day. Sorry you didn't like the shots though.
Here are some action shots with single frame setting and my cheap gear.
Attached Images

05-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member

As you said, there's more to shooting than machine gunning 'em.

So we're in agreement.

05-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #68
julianactive

As you said, there's more to shooting than machine gunning 'em.

So we're in agreement.
That isn't so. The only way we would both be in agreement is if I agreed with you and I don't
05-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
thank you dave, i was thinking about that when i asked. by banked turns you mean that the track is tilted to put less strain on the lateral grip of the tires, i assume? (much like in nascar, i think). as i am european, and a "rally fan", for me oval shaped tracks ("turning right all day") is a hard concept to grasp, to put it mildly , so thanks for the explanation
Probably both to reduce tire strain and increase speed. NASCAR uses those tricks in a more extreme way, with some banking as high as 36º and stagger probably 5x what Firestone is using at Indy. Stagger slows the car when it's not turning, and straight line speed is a huge factor at Indy.

BTW they turn left (unless they are wrecking).
05-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #70
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Probably both to reduce tire strain and increase speed. NASCAR uses those tricks in a more extreme way, with some banking as high as 36º and stagger probably 5x what Firestone is using at Indy. Stagger slows the car when it's not turning, and straight line speed is a huge factor at Indy.

BTW they turn left (unless they are wrecking).
Or coming out of the pits.
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Stagger also has to do with overcoming a locked rear differential while turning. What threw me in his original question was he asked if the left side tire were larger. It's the right side tires which would be larger however it would be hard to spot in pictures unless it was a large difference in size. A lot of time higher banking may require less stagger than lower banking. High banking requires less turning of the steering. When you get on the high banks it's almost like driving through a valley. I measured a lot of tires back in the day trying to put together matched sets for the cars I worked on. We all carried tape measures in our pockets all the time. The other variable is air pressure. The amount of air in the tire used to vary the circumference of the tire. That's one reason we started running nitrogen in the tires. Nitrogen doesn't expand with heat like air does.

Then you get into running dirt and that's a whole nother story. Some of the sprint cars (open wheel cars not NASCAR) you really can see the differance in tire size because of the air pressures they run. I don't know if they still do it but years ago the ran very little air pressure in the right rear tires I believe. It's been quite a few years. They had to screw the tires to the rim or run bead locks to keep the tires from spinning on the rims. We also did that on the ARCA Late Model I worked on when we ran dirt.
05-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #72
julianactive

I have to add a couple of pennies here. You can get a 1D Mark II used for under $1000 these days, and that gets you 8+ fps and a fantastic AF system. You don't have to spend eight grand. A 1D Mark II with the 400/5.6 ($850-900 used) would make for an amazing setup under $2k.
I thought machine gun fire speed wasn't important?
Also the camera and lens you speak of are much larger than my kit which I carry around in a sling pack on my mountain bike. I can fit my K200D (with more megapixels) and my 55-300 zoom lens in that pack.
Attached Images

05-16-2009, 10:14 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some action shots with single frame setting and my cheap gear.
Good action shots, your timing is on the money, but they are all shots that could be pre focused.
Birds in flight are quite abit harder.
05-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Ok Pingflood:

Great shots of the birds!

Why are you apologizing cause of the negative review?!

DON'T APOLOGIZE!

You knew the shots were great when you reviewed them.

I knew the shots were great when I saw them on this forum.
05-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #75
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Good action shots, your timing is on the money, but they are all shots that could be pre focused.
Birds in flight are quite abit harder.
Could have but they weren't