Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who says you can't do fast action with a Pentax!

I went to Indianapolis for Pole Day yesterday. Armed with my K200D and my 26 year old Saitex 70-300mm manual zoom I took these shots during the day. This was my first experiance using my K200D for high speed action. It took a while to get dialed in but overall I'm pleased with the results.

Indy 2009 Pole Day - a set on Flickr

Hopefully by next year I'll have a new zoom lens.

Last edited by kkoether; 05-11-2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
05-10-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
I went to Indianapolis for Pole Day yesterday. Armed with my K200D and my 26 year old Saitex 70-300mm manual zoom I tool these shots during the day. This was my first experiance using my K200D for high speed action. It took a while to get dialed in but overall I'm pleased with the results.

Indy 2009 Pole Day - a set on Flickr

Hopefully by next year I'll have a new zoom lens.
Great pics!

You gone be there for the race?

The pink car is Ana's (I can't spell her last name right now)?

And that s her walking?
05-10-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks.

No, I won't be there for the race. Indy is not a great place to watch a race. The track is so flat, you are only able to see the area around where you sit. Pole Day is fun because you have lots of action on the track and a lot smaller crowd to deal with and you can sit pretty much anywhere you want.

The pink 99 car is Alex Lloyd. The only women this year are Danica Patrick #7, Sarah Fisher #67 and Milka Duno who didn't make and appearance on the track yesterday.
05-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks.

No, I won't be there for the race. Indy is not a great place to watch a race. The track is so flat, you are only able to see the area around where you sit. Pole Day is fun because you have lots of action on the track and a lot smaller crowd to deal with and you can sit pretty much anywhere you want.

The pink 99 car is Alex Lloyd. The only women this year are Danica Patrick #7, Sarah Fisher #67 and Milka Duno who didn't make and appearance on the track yesterday.
I ment Danica.

I use to follow Indy closely then got dissenchanted when it broke into two factions!

But that is who I ment; the woman star in Indy racing or CART or whatever it is today!

Nascar was great last night BTW.

Anyway, great pics!

Wish you could be there for the race!

You could represent us; Pentax photograghers who are just as good as the Canon and Nikon guys.

Even if you take pics from the stands.

05-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots, but really, there isn't anything there that couldn't have been done with a camera body that was contemporaneous to the lens.
05-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Who did say you couldn't do action photos with a Pentax?
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

"Everyone".

My opinion is that you can do action with a view camera if you put enough effort in. However, I find it easier to get the shots I want with a very responsive camera/AF system.

05-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
"Everyone".

My opinion is that you can do action with a view camera if you put enough effort in. However, I find it easier to get the shots I want with a very responsive camera/AF system.
From the initial post, apparently not "everyone."

I don't find the response to be unusable, but then I may not have tried a camera with a truly superb response.
05-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've seen quite a few posts from people saying Pentax DSLR's aren't really suited to fast action situations such as auto racing. I've also seen a lot of posts asking if Pentax DSLR's can do this type of photography. I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in that yes you can do it even with an old no-name manual zoom lens. I used to use my ME Super for the same types of shots. I just took my a little while to get my form back. It has been quite a few years since I have done any of this type of photography. I'm really pleased with my K200D. Maybe in a few years I'll upgrade to the latest Pentax DSLR.
05-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=kkoether;591524]I've seen quite a few posts from people saying Pentax DSLR's aren't really suited to fast action situations

I have read that so many times on this forum , if i had a dollar for every one, i would be the richest man on earth.
last week i had the privilidge to spend a few days with my daughter in orlando, of all the places, she wanted to go , was sea world, as we were watching the whale and dolphin show and i having no clue when they were going to jump out of the water and where, waited paciently and as i saw some movement , i would put the camera to my eye and snap.
at the end of the day , 99.9% of those taken with just pointing and shooting, was in focus, i was impressed, and satisified. and right there and then i realised, he who complains of this autofocus speed, is just looking for an excuse to buy canon or nikon, cause personally, there really was not much time between seeing where there was going to jump, putting the camera up to my eye and pressing the shutter, and with the results i got, wow pentax is fast.
Hail to Shamu
a life long impression, as i returned the rental in miami, and was on the bus going to the airport, there was a little girl, about 3 years old singing,, bum,bum, shamu, shamu
05-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=dafiryde;591588]
I've seen quite a few posts from people saying Pentax DSLR's aren't really suited to fast action situations

I have read that so many times on this forum , if i had a dollar for every one, i would be the richest man on earth.
last week i had the privilidge to spend a few days with my daughter in orlando, of all the places, she wanted to go , was sea world, as we were watching the whale and dolphin show and i having no clue when they were going to jump out of the water and where, waited paciently and as i saw some movement , i would put the camera to my eye and snap.
at the end of the day , 99.9% of those taken with just pointing and shooting, was in focus, i was impressed, and satisified. and right there and then i realised, he who complains of this autofocus speed, is just looking for an excuse to buy canon or nikon, cause personally, there really was not much time between seeing where there was going to jump, putting the camera up to my eye and pressing the shutter, and with the results i got, wow pentax is fast.
Hail to Shamu
a life long impression, as i returned the rental in miami, and was on the bus going to the airport, there was a little girl, about 3 years old singing,, bum,bum, shamu, shamu
That is pretty much my experience, but then, in all honesty, most of my action shots have been either in bright light (stopped down) or at some distance approaching infinity, so if it missed by a hair, I might not notice.
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

do those cars have bigger wheels on the leftside, or am i seeing things?
05-11-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

But thee's not really anything fast about those pictures in regards to autofocus. When you're panning, the cars aren't really getting much closer or further away from you, so the Af system doesn't have much work to do. It's getting something coming straight at you that taxes AF. I love pentax, but I've never had much luck with something fast coming straight at me.
05-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
"Everyone".

Exactly. You can do action shots with Pentax, I do most weekends. It's just that probably (as I haven't actually experienced it myself as I haven't tried them) you could do better with other systems.
05-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
do those cars have bigger wheels on the leftside, or am i seeing things?
I think that may be an illusion due to looking at the backside of the tire and not really being able to see the rim. Most of these where taken from the upper level of the front stretch stands looking down at about a 40 degree angle so there may be some distortion there also.