Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Capturing fast action. It's the level of your skill. Not the type of camera you have!!!

05-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
[QUOTE=Oldphoto678;597895]Capturing fast action. It's the level of your skill. Not the type of camera you have!!!QUOTE]

Yes, I have to agree. When I bought my ME Super auto-focus was a dream. I learned then that I had to pick a spot, focus on that spot and track my subject to that spot. It's all about technique not pressing and holding the shutter button. I don't have any experience with the other brands but I would think even they have problems tracking focus on something moving 200+ mph. I just wanted to post another example for those who are on the fence. It can be done and once you master the technique you just do it automatically. I'm just getting back into this type of photography. Last weekend at Indy was the first time in probably 15 years that I seriously tried to do any of this type of shooting. I was surprised how fast it came back once I started doing it again. Here is my favorite from the day.

05-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Here we go again. A couple of pictures trotted out that don't test the speed of the camera used to make a pseudo point.
Do you really think that if it didn't matter, the pro sports shooters would be spending gobs of money on high end, high performance cameras?
05-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
while i agree to some extent, your argument is even worse: it is normally called "appeal to authority" if i am not mistaking, and it is, obviously, an invalid argument ("x is doing this, so it must be right"). basically, you are not proving a point or helping understand what the reality is, you are just transfering the responsibility of choosing/deciding what's required to a tier party which you assume we all should trust as unqestionable. if that's your best argument for the requirement of faster/smarter/greater af (the fact that pro sports shooters don't buy pentax), the discussion is long finished from your point of view (and your point of view is long irrelevant for most people trying to discuss rationally), but knowing you from previous posts i doubt that's the case. i doubt, hope, but i don't really know..

05-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I think this whole discussion is revolving around a strawman -- nobody around here is saying you _can't_ do it, they're just saying that it's not the best tool for it and other cameras might do it better.
Perhaps that impression comes from the word "can't" in the subject line of this thread.
05-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=kkoether;597939]
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldphoto678 Quote
Capturing fast action. It's the level of your skill. Not the type of camera you have!!!QUOTE]

Yes, I have to agree. When I bought my ME Super auto-focus was a dream.
Hee. In those times I never even dreamed about usable AF: Dreamed about in-camera image stabilization, though: I was picturing very small gyroscopes, though.
05-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I think this whole discussion is revolving around a strawman -- nobody around here is saying you _can't_ do it, they're just saying that it's not the best tool for it and other cameras might do it better.
something like that, yeah, but in my opinion it's wrong. the camera is not a tool for the job in itself, it's a tool for the job and the photographer. there is a desperate desire these days to rank on a linear scale, and have "objective measurements" of things which are not so trivial to measure. numbers are nice, but it's easy to become unable to see the forest for the trees. one of the most extreme examples that comes to mind from my experience is "measuring quality" in "corporate" environments. they got so used to this stupidity they can't even see how absurd it is anymore, and they love throwing big words around it; the results are mindblowing, in most cases you don't know if to laugh or cry.

this is why i ask "what is it that doesn't work for _you_", i admit there might be things missing, and which could be improved, but if people keep telling "it's slow" "it sucks" "it's jsut not up to the competition", we're not going to get anywhere.

05-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
do those cars have bigger wheels on the leftside, or am i seeing things?
All these posts about focus speed and no one has addressed this important question! Short answer, no.

It's common for race cars on oval tracks to use tires with larger diameters on the right side. It's called "stagger". On tracks with high banking, the difference can be pretty large. Indy is kind of flat (9º) and has long straight sections, so the stagger is only 0.32". If you think about the physics of a car getting through a banked turn, stagger makes sense. In the old days, stagger was a carefully guarded secret trick, and the crew used to search for tires that were the right size. Today the tire makers build it into the tire and there's usually rules about it. In some forms of racing, all four tires are different sizes.
05-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #54
Veteran Member

thank you dave, i was thinking about that when i asked. by banked turns you mean that the track is tilted to put less strain on the lateral grip of the tires, i assume? (much like in nascar, i think). as i am european, and a "rally fan", for me oval shaped tracks ("turning right all day") is a hard concept to graps, to put it mildly , so thanks for the explanation
05-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Here we go again. A couple of pictures trotted out that don't test the speed of the camera used to make a pseudo point.
Do you really think that if it didn't matter, the pro sports shooters would be spending gobs of money on high end, high performance cameras?
Clearly pro photographers are just being scammed by the Canikon empire, or they are so inferior that they need to rely on crutches like auto exposure and auto focus to get pictures anybody could get as easily with all manual cameras and the proper skillset.

Duh.
05-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #56
Inactive Account

Sadly Nanok, the mindset of some is hard to change, no matter how much proof you presented them, they are still not convinced.

cheers,

Rene
05-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly pro photographers are just being scammed by the Canikon empire, or they are so inferior that they need to rely on crutches like auto exposure and auto focus to get pictures anybody could get as easily with all manual cameras and the proper skillset.

Duh.
Right.
My bad.
05-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #58
julianactive

It come down to lots of things. Subject, framing, lighting, timing, skill, camera settings, and the performance of the camera. I think toooooooo many people get caught up with the specifications of the equipment and forget about the other things.
Lots of naysayers on every forum who want to keep trotting out the same answers.
The finest camera with the most expensive lenses and the best performance specs is useless in the hands of a hack.
Make the most of the equipment at hand and be happy.
How many people make a living shooting photos? And how many can afford the best sports shooting equipment?
05-16-2009, 06:16 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by julianactive Quote
It come down to lots of things. Subject, framing, lighting, timing, skill, camera settings, and the performance of the camera. I think toooooooo many people get caught up with the specifications of the equipment and forget about the other things.
Lots of naysayers on every forum who want to keep trotting out the same answers.
The finest camera with the most expensive lenses and the best performance specs is useless in the hands of a hack.
Make the most of the equipment at hand and be happy.
How many people make a living shooting photos? And how many can afford the best sports shooting equipment?
I have to add a couple of pennies here. You can get a 1D Mark II used for under $1000 these days, and that gets you 8+ fps and a fantastic AF system. You don't have to spend eight grand. A 1D Mark II with the 400/5.6 ($850-900 used) would make for an amazing setup under $2k.
05-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #60
julianactive

I have to add a couple of pennies here. You can get a 1D Mark II used for under $1000 these days, and that gets you 8+ fps and a fantastic AF system. You don't have to spend eight grand. A 1D Mark II with the 400/5.6 ($850-900 used) would make for an amazing setup under $2k.
So I have a K200D with an 18-50mm, a 1.4 50mm and a 55-300 zoom for under 1K, all new except the 1.4 with warranty.
For the other 1K I could take a nice trip.

Have fun with your old canon and big heavy lens. Good luck trying to make your 2K system work at anything less than a hundred feet.