Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Smudge in photos

I just got a new Pentax K20D 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that there is already a smudge type line in all of my photos. I've cleaned the lenses. I've determined its something inside the camera and not the lenses since I've changed to different lenses and the smudge still appears. I've tried the "sensor cleaning" "Mirror Up" but no luck. I'm still very new with this camera and do not want to do more damage trying to locate this smudge. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a few photos with the smudge.

05-10-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't say what you actually *did* while the mirror was up - do you realize the point is to give you access to the sensor so you can clean it yourself? It isn't an autoamtic process like the "dust removal" facility. if you haven't tried the dust removal, try that first - run it like a dozen times in a row. Next recourse should be to use the "sensor cleaning" mode and squirt clean air at the sensor using a blower bulb like the "Rocket" blower. Only if that fails should other methods be tried. Google for "sensor cleaning" and you'll find *tons* of information on the subject.
05-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction.
05-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are many brave souls who will attempt to clean the camera's innards...
me, i'm a devout coward.... i've relied on my local camera repair shop....
i'm sure there must be one (or more) in your area.... check with local pro photographers...
they customarily use a 'pro' to clean their equipment, which is heavily used and requires
constant maintenance.... best of luck...

05-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to have a camera shop clean it. It's hard to believe I got something in it the very first week I got it. I'm not going to take the chance of damaging something inside. It's brand new with just that one smudge. Is that sort of thing expensive to have located and cleaned?
05-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Squirting some air into the camera using a blower bulb is about as complex and risky as cleaning your own eyeglasses. And if you change lenses at all, it's something you'll probably do a few times a year. Taking it in for service just to do this is like taking your dirty dishes to a professional dishwasher.
05-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #7

Can you post an example? A persistent large smudge on a new camera makes me think oil from the factory dripped. It's not particularly hard at all to actually clean your sensor with cleaning solution and the proper sort of cleaning cloths, but since it's brand new you'll probably want to take it to a shop. Any chance you bought it locally at a place that may clean it free?

05-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think dust is a more likely expanation than oil. But if it *is* oil - which you'd be able to tell by looking at it in sensor cleaning mode - then I *would* take it in for service. A simply air burst with a blower blub - that much is like washing your own dishes. Dust happens, and you need to be prepated to deal with it. But cleaning off oil spots that shouldn't be there in the first place - that's not something you should have to deal with. I might try if it was oil that showed up later in normal use, but not if it came that way from the factory.