Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Upgrading K100d to K10d

I'll start off buy saying I'm extremely happy with my k100d i purchased last summer at release time, and didn't really plan on changing it anytime soon. I mastered most features and I lost some of the excitement of discovering new features, but photography is about taking pictures not tinkering with menus.

However, I can upgrade from my current camera to a brand new K10d for about $180-200 this one would have a full warranty also, mine is running out in 2 months Do you guys think it's worth it, considering the ability to use the new type of lens, weatherproof body, etc? Is the viewfinder any better? I'd love a better viewfinder.

Hopefully I can hear from some people familiar with both.

Thanks, Peter

04-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The pentaprism viewfinder in the K10d is exceptional and definitely a joy to look through. I'd say it's a great deal and you'll have plenty of fun digging through the menus.
04-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For $200 you would be getting a great dea!! I'm buying a friend a K100D and if I could move up to the K10D for $200 I'd do it. As we say here in Maine this is a "No Brainah".

Have fun!
04-19-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I was very intised because i have a stack of 6 k10d's staring at me. I guess 1 of them has my name on it now.

Pictures coming up!

04-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote

However, I can upgrade from my current camera to a brand new K10d for about $180-200 this one would have a full warranty also, mine is running out in 2 months Do you guys think it's worth it, considering the ability to use the new type of lens, weatherproof body, etc? Is the viewfinder any better? I'd love a better viewfinder.

Back in February I started a thread on much the same subject: "should I upgrade to K10D?" Ran to eight pages of replies.

I did end up selling my K100D and getting the K10D and I'm very pleased. Not in any way a knock against the K100D which was a very nice camera. I just feel more comfortable with the K10D and enjoy shooting with it.

The weatherproof body is, for me, not a big deal - but worth something. I treat the camera very carefully anyway, but I'm slightly less anxious about it if it's raining lightly or a bit humid than I would be about the K100D.

The viewfinder is indeed sharper and brighter in the K10D. Also not something I'd pay lots of money for, but a definite improvement.

Having more megapixels is nice mainly because occasionally it lets me crop a photo a bit more than I could do with an image from the K100D.

The K10D's better performance shooting in continuous mode does matter to me and was one of the reasons that I considered upgrading in the first place. To be honest, I am mildly disappointed even in the K10D in this regard. When the devil inside me says "Maybe you should have bought a Nikon!" he's often telling me that burst-mode on the Nikon dSLRs is supposed to be better. Still, the K10D is better than the K100D in this regard.

What has ended up mattering to me about the K10D is the design of the camera itself - the way you use it, the controls that are available on the outside of the body of the camera. I really like the controls on the K10D's mode dial - the hyperprogram (P) control that allows me to adjust the default exposure settings; the TAv mode that lets me set my aperture and shutter and ask the camera to adjust the iso accordingly; and others. I am very fond also of having two e-dials (one in front, one in back) to adjust shutter and aperture and other settings with.

Before I switched I was told this and understood it in theory: the K10D wasn't going to make me a better photographer. Now I understand that from experience and I understand what you get when you buy a different model of camera. Heck, the Canon Powershot S3 IS that I sold last year to get the K100D in the first place was a wonderful camera and I saw some photos taken with it that were just fabulous; I even took two or three myself that I was rather proud of. As for the capabilities of the K10D vs those of the K100D, well, there's absolutely nothing about the K100D that will keep you from taking a prize-winning photo. The difference is similar to the difference between a really nice new Toyota that costs $25,000 and a new BMW or Volvo that costs $50,000. You get where you're going in either car equally well. But the driving experience in the more expensive car will be a bit different: not just more comfortable, better sound system, etc., but perhaps with more safety features, somewhat better handling, and so on. If you really drive a lot, and you can afford a Volvo, you might like it better than the Toyota. But on the other hand, Toyotas are great cars, too.

Will
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nystateofmind27 Quote
I'll start off buy saying I'm extremely happy with my k100d i purchased last summer at release time, and didn't really plan on changing it anytime soon. I mastered most features and I lost some of the excitement of discovering new features, but photography is about taking pictures not tinkering with menus.

Thanks, Peter
Hi Peter. I have to say I envy you, but that's besides the point. Here is a paraphrase of my post to WMBP who asked nearly the same question several months ago. A while back, when the K100D had been out for a while I was seriously thinking of upgrading to it from the DS. I went down to Adorama to "try one out" . I looked thru the viewfinder, and WOE! much worse than the DS. As far as I'm concerned there is a huge difference between a pentaprism viewfinder and a pentamirror viewfinder. As much as I lusted after SR, the darker viewfinder was a deal breaker for me. Others have said that while "somewhat" darker, the viewfinder on the K100 isn't a LOT darker. All I can say is that it depends on how you define "somewhat" and "a lot" . If I could get a K10D for $200 I'd be on it like a duck on a beetle.

NaCl(in the meantime I still buy my lotto tix)H2O
11-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have both, and Will summed up the advantages to the K10 very well. I miss the hyperprogram mode and ISO selection whenever I use one of my bodies (K100d/Kx) that lacks the front exposure wheel. The lack of SDM support on the K100d is also a drawback, since the DA17-70 is a workhorse for me.

On the other hand, the reasons I haven't cashed out my K100d for a couple hundred bucks are 1) K100d uses readily available AA batts and even takes the double CR3 Lithiums 2) K100d is slightly smaller and lighter and 3) I find the K100d a bit better above ISO 800. At its current used price, the K100d is the perfect camera to live in the back of my car, ready at all times, or to come along on vacation as a backup.
11-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GeneV, you do realize that this thread is about 3.5 years old

11-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Funny thing is that the K10D still goes for 200 bucks... he got a great deal.
11-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
GeneV, you do realize that this thread is about 3.5 years old
I think Gene is still on the painkillers :-) But it is good info nonetheless.