Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Removing K100D focusing screen

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I went ahead and bought one of the bootleg katz eye screens on ebay from some place in China. It arrived after almost a month, in a tiny plastic envelope inside an unprotected mailing envelope. Nice.

Anyway, now it comes to installing it, but of course it didn't come with instructions. After a quick google search I've found instructions for removing the focusing screen on the *ist D series, but the mechanism looks somewhat different on the K100D.

I can see that there is a little metal catch, but after a couple of quick, gentle prods, first with my fingernail and with a toothpick, I can't seem to figure out how it releases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

04-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought the *istD and K10D were the only ones with user changeable screens. The K100 manual doesn't list screens as an optional accessory, which technically only means that Pentax doesn't offer one, but also indicates that they don't consider it a changeable item. I could be wrong.
04-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll be very interested in hearing your experiences once you get this installed. Good Luck...
04-19-2007, 11:59 AM   #4

Katz eye do list a focus screen for the K100D, so it must (in theory) be replaceable..

Pentax DSLRs @ KatzEyeOptics.com

04-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Yes it is removable, I used a small screwdriver to push the catch and it pretty much pops off. I cant's remember which way I pushed the catch, but I remember it being the oppasit of what I thought it should be. Getting it back on was a little more difficult.
04-19-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know the K100D isn't "supposed" to have interchangeable screens, but I hear about people doing it, so I figure it must be possible...somehow. I hesitate to stick anything like a screwdriver in there, so maybe I'll make sure I haven't had too much coffee beforehand

I'll do a little more digging (on the innernets, that is) and see if there's anyone else out there who has ever done this (which I think there must be).

I wonder if Pentax makes available their maintenance manuals. Probably not, or their repair people would lose business. Ah well.
04-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #7

Finn,

Look at this thread on DPR:
got my Katz Eye for K100d: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Actually this is better, direct from Katzeye:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/PENTAX.PDF

You'll have to stop by after you get it installed. I'm very interested in how well it works.

Steve

04-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
You'll have to stop by after you get it installed. I'm very interested in how well it works.
Well - I have one installed on my K10D for the last 2 weeks. Bought on eBay (a Katzeye). As I'm currently using mainly my old 50 mm A f/1.4 I wanted to be a bit more sure with focusing.

Installation is a breeze. It does improve manual focusing and actually I do prefer it over the original even with AF lenses. It is not a MUST for general photography - the visual focus indications (mainly the red rectangles if set to 'on') are quite good - but the Katzeye does add confidence when you want your focusing to be spot on (macro anyone?).

There are also downsides - with small aperture lenses the micro-prism ring and the split prism can get darker and darker but no special problems were found at f/5.6.

Hope this helps.
04-19-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
Actually this is better, direct from Katzeye:
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/PENTAX.PDF
Thank you thank you thank you!!! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I sifted through everything at DPR to no avail. I finally resorted to posting ANOTHER thread on the topic over there. I'll have to check back to see how snarky everyone has been...
04-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just installed it, which took about 10 minutes. Works like a champ! Thanks!
04-19-2007, 10:14 PM   #11

there is a little lip or how to call it. just take a little screwdriver or paper knife and lift that metal lip up and screen holding doors will open.
I got that focusing screen last week. at first I liked it a lot, but know I use original. because all pictures were underexposed. I dont know why, but maybe it's just too bright, for pentax light meter. and I'm very used to original screen and hexagon.
I hope You'll have better luck with it.
04-20-2007, 03:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, my camera consistently underexposes by 0.5-1 stop shooting indoors, so I am used to regularly bumping the EV's. I just check the histogram now and again, and go on my merry way.

The only mild annoyance I've had so far is that the microprism is slightly off-center, which I just attribute to uneven milling. It adds character, anyway!
04-21-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Could you provide a link to the merchant you bought if from, please?

Thanks.
04-21-2007, 03:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
there is a little lip or how to call it. just take a little screwdriver or paper knife and lift that metal lip up and screen holding doors will open.
I got that focusing screen last week. at first I liked it a lot, but know I use original. because all pictures were underexposed. I dont know why, but maybe it's just too bright, for pentax light meter. and I'm very used to original screen and hexagon.
I hope You'll have better luck with it.
The reason for more underexposure is simply that the new focusing screen transmit more light than the original one, in the centre or as a whole.

So, that's nothing more to do except for a constantly applying a +ve exposure compensation..
04-21-2007, 06:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Could you provide a link to the merchant you bought if from, please?

Thanks.
I was taking a chance buying from someone with so little feedback, but he quickly answered my questions and sent the screen right away. Of course, it was totally unprotected and took almost a month to get here, but still...

eBay: Exquisite&Light focusing screen for Pentax K100D (item 320099584208 end time May-02-07 06:52:07 PDT)