Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 01:20 AM   #16

Question from a digital neophyte:

Could this be attributed to the proximity of a cell-phone or similar device??

04-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #17
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good suggestion! I'll make some (more) experiments.
04-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I did a test yesterday where a held my cell phone and my cordless phone directly to the camera body and couldn't reproduce the problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
Question from a digital neophyte:

Could this be attributed to the proximity of a cell-phone or similar device??
04-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You camera is very probably off-calibrated from the factory. Take it back to Pentax and request for a rectification.

For more relevant information, see my previous article on the issue:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: VPN and HPN / Bandings of the K10D

QuoteOriginally posted by HogRider Quote
Hi everyone, I was wondering if my K10D has a defective sensor. I have noticed a strange (noise) pattern that goes horizontal through areas of my images where there is mainly green and blue color. It is mainly visible in evenly colored out of focus areas like trees with leaves in the back ground, but I have also manged to see it in the sky darkened by a polarizer. It doesn't seem to appear in red areas, at least I haven't managed to shoot a picture with red background I guess.

Now, I have searched the forums and read all about noise patterns, high ISO noise and electronic interferences from the external grip and 3rd party batteries, but I haven't really found anything that looks like this.

It happens at ISO 200 and with correct exposure.
It happens in Manual or Auto Focus.
It happens with SR on or off.
It happens with Pentax and 3rd party lenses.
It happens with the original and the 3rd party spare battery.
I do not have the grip on the camera.
I have change flash cards, and tried different flash card readers.
I have tried different RAW converters.
Actually I can this pattern on the camera LCD screen when zooming in.

I think I have tried to eliminate all possible reasons I can think of. The only way to not see this pattern is to stick with ISO 100 only or avoid out out of focus areas and bokeh that are dark greenish/blueish colored (lol).

Also I have be unsucessful in reming these lines in PP with noise removal software etc. They are in my pictures unless I want to spent hours with the smudge tool. They are also clearly visible after resizing as can be seen in the samples...

Anybody have anything similar? Does anybody know what this is?
Should I send my camera to Pentax warranty repair?

Here are a few example Images (they are NOT under exposed and pushed etc..)

On the last one I cranked the vibrance to max to show the lines more, in case someone doesn't see them on the first pics.

All shot at 320mm, 180th sec. f9.5 and ISO 200

04-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

electrical interference?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
1) electric interference from some source,

I did a test yesterday where a held my cell phone and my cordless phone directly to the camera body and couldn't reproduce the problem.
My guess is electrical interference also - are you sure there were no high tension power lines, or any other sorts of those things in the area? I was browsing through some pictures, and found one instance of this with my K110D so far.
I'll attach a 100% crop from it below. This was next to a television antenna tower:

Last edited by khardur; 06-14-2007 at 07:35 PM.
04-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
My guess is electrical interference also - are you sure there were no high tension power lines, or any other sorts of those things in the area? I was browsing through some pictures, and found one instance of this with my K110D so far.
I'll attach a 100% crop from it below. This was next to a television antenna tower:
Well the hummingbird pictures were taken in my own backyard and there is not even a cell phone tower close by. All power and phone lines are underground and nobody close by has a HAM radio antenna or anything like that. I have shot many times in the same location with the D, DS and DL and never seen any interference.
04-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

hmmm.. well I tried. That's a bummer.

I may have missed it, but are you getting this banding from other locations too? (just in case it is some sort of external interference)

really like your pics, btw. Great stuff.
-Dan
04-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well the hummingbird pictures were taken in my own backyard and there is not even a cell phone tower close by. All power and phone lines are underground and nobody close by has a HAM radio antenna or anything like that. I have shot many times in the same location with the D, DS and DL and never seen any interference.
Could it be aliens?

04-20-2007, 06:40 PM   #24
Pentaxian

just a couple of questions here, after looking at the images, plus a technical question regarding the noise patterns in general, for anyone to answer.

In the images, they are very sharp, is there a possibility that you are over sharpening? I ask this because you talk about using several different RAW converters.

Have you tried noise reduction within image processing programs?

I played very breifly with Corel PSP 11 and could get rid of a lot of the noise just using the automatic settings, without much loss of detail. It almost does seem as if there is something related to how much sharpness you apply.

Have you shot in jpeg mode to see what the camera itself does?

I also have a K10D and don't seem to get this at all, however, I shoot jpeg. (I can print 11 x 17 wothout any problem and it reduces processing time).

Now for the tecno geeks. When you consider the number of pixels and the sensor size, the pitch of pixels on the sensor is in the order of 6 microns, or roughly 10X the wavelength of light (depending on the colour). Are we beginning to see the limit in technology? the pixles and lenses are much smaller than 6 microns. Are we seeing possible effects from slight polarizatrion effects? etc...
04-20-2007, 07:43 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The 100% crop pictures are straight out of the camera. No sharpening applied. I used a little bit USM on the 2 resized ones. Makes no difference whatsoever. I can actually already see those lines on the preview LCD on the camera and also in the RAW converter before any editing is done at all. BTW - my camera's setting on Sharpening is set to neutral.

I have played with Noise Ninja, Neat image and so on. Couldn't get rid of those lines. But even if they were removable, I think something like this just shouldn't happen at ISO 200.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
just a couple of questions here, after looking at the images, plus a technical question regarding the noise patterns in general, for anyone to answer.

In the images, they are very sharp, is there a possibility that you are over sharpening? I ask this because you talk about using several different RAW converters.

Have you tried noise reduction within image processing programs?

Last edited by HogRider; 04-20-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added text
04-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Send it back - its broke

Nothing like that on mine, I think you tried everything so there is something wrong internally-possible a bad electronic component causing interference. Nothing you can do except get a replacement.