Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10D sensor problem?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if my K10D has a defective sensor. I have noticed a strange (noise) pattern that goes horizontal through areas of my images where there is mainly green and blue color. It is mainly visible in evenly colored out of focus areas like trees with leaves in the back ground, but I have also manged to see it in the sky darkened by a polarizer. It doesn't seem to appear in red areas, at least I haven't managed to shoot a picture with red background I guess.

Now, I have searched the forums and read all about noise patterns, high ISO noise and electronic interferences from the external grip and 3rd party batteries, but I haven't really found anything that looks like this.

It happens at ISO 200 and with correct exposure.
It happens in Manual or Auto Focus.
It happens with SR on or off.
It happens with Pentax and 3rd party lenses.
It happens with the original and the 3rd party spare battery.
I do not have the grip on the camera.
I have change flash cards, and tried different flash card readers.
I have tried different RAW converters.
Actually I can this pattern on the camera LCD screen when zooming in.

I think I have tried to eliminate all possible reasons I can think of. The only way to not see this pattern is to stick with ISO 100 only or avoid out out of focus areas and bokeh that are dark greenish/blueish colored (lol).

Also I have be unsucessful in reming these lines in PP with noise removal software etc. They are in my pictures unless I want to spent hours with the smudge tool. They are also clearly visible after resizing as can be seen in the samples...

Anybody have anything similar? Does anybody know what this is?
Should I send my camera to Pentax warranty repair?

Here are a few example Images (they are NOT under exposed and pushed etc..)

On the last one I cranked the vibrance to max to show the lines more, in case someone doesn't see them on the first pics.

All shot at 320mm, 180th sec. f9.5 and ISO 200

04-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW - I posted the same at DPRreview.

Here are some sample pictures:

Resized

100%

100%

Resized

100%

100%

Vibrance to max for better visibility:
04-19-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a problem to me. It may be the sensor, or it may be the image processor. Either way it looks like it needs repair. But, I'm no expert.
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #4

It shouldn't be like that. Are those jpegs out of the camera, or converted raw? If the latter, try taking some jpegs and see if the problem persists. (I had severe banding problems with ACR3.6, but no problems at all when I got ACR3.7)

04-19-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
It shouldn't be like that. Are those jpegs out of the camera, or converted raw? If the latter, try taking some jpegs and see if the problem persists. (I had severe banding problems with ACR3.6, but no problems at all when I got ACR3.7)
Those are RAWs - I can see those lines already when previewing on the camera LCD.

I have tried Lightroom, Pentax Lab, Rawshooter and Silkypix - no difference.
04-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Simple

Sorry to be so simplistic, but take it back or in to your dealer to have it repaired or replaced. That does not look good...
04-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
BTW - this doesn't happen in every single picture. I just posted 2 where these line are most visible. I shot about 20 Hummingbird pictures that afternoon. About half of them have this kind of noise. Some more some less. It is not always the same.
04-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

You have a bad camera, no doubt about that.

04-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #9

Mhm. I agree with benjikan and nystateofmind27.
04-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like electrical interference to me. I think Ole had a similar things happen before as well.

(Just saw that you're not using the vertical grip. This looks solely like Ole's problem - I would start there.)
04-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #11

Given that the pattern is visible on almost all photos and it is visible on the LCD when zoomed then it is nothing to do with post-processing and must be caused within the camera.

If it were mine, I would return the camera for repair, without hesitation.
04-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

First I would go to the Setup menu and do a reset. Try again and see if it remains otherwise return it to the dealer for repair.
04-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hi Hogrider. I have that kind of noise patterns in my k10d as well.

I contribute this to underexposed areas when the aperture was relatively wide open. This happens a lot in dark setting with poor natural lighting. The bokeh seems to be like shown above. I actually soften these bokeh area with noise ninja to rid of these nuisance.

Whenever the lighting is optimum, these noise patterns do not happen

Not sure I should send in to Pentax at all ... (No cameras for few months - a bit miserable for sure)
04-19-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well whatever it is... I don't think it is normal and shouldn't happen specially with ISO 200. I am going to send the camera to Pentax for warranty repair.

I'm glad I still have the DS and DL as backup bodies
04-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #15
Ole
Administrator

I have seen the same as your no. 1 shot on my K10D under some circumstances. I have two theories, 1) electric interference from some source, 2) programming error in the in-camera software (meaning that all K10D's would have this problem). Here is my thread on the matter:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/4621-i-havent-noticed-before.html

I tried to reproduce the pattern this past weekend to no avail (same shooting position, same lens).

Looking forward to hearing what Pentax says when you send your camera in.

Last edited by Ole; 04-19-2007 at 11:52 PM.