Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What would you do with your APS Pentax if a full-frame DSLR was offered?
I'd sell all my APS equipment. 1523.81%
I'd keep my APS equipment and have both systems. 1828.57%
APS is great. I have no interest in full-frame digital 3047.62%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How Full is Your Frame?

My only real interest in Pentax developing a full-frame 36x24 DSLR is that would mean new glass compatible with my film cameras too.

However, I'm curious what those that are dying to get a 135 format DSLR would do with their APS cameras should that joyous day arrive.

05-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #2
Dom

I'm waiting for the 645D before I invest in a technically which is only marginally better than Pentax crop sensor.
05-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There is a bit of a missing option between "I'd get both systems" and "I don't care about full frame". It's not that I have "no interest", it's that full frame is going to be too expensive for the marginal benefits it offers. I'll probably get the inevitable full frame camera when it's 300 bucks, but for now APS-C serves me more than well.
05-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're right Erik. I was thinking "if your budget allowed" as I was typing it out last night but didn't actually write it. So, given that I'd use #3 if it's a budgetary thing.

05-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #5

I'm not really a landscape photographer, so I voted #3. I prefer macro and birding, and always want to be closer. I couldn't imagine going full frame and losing 50% of my length. Plus I love that my fa50 1.4 is a good portrait lens on aps-c. I would hate to need the 85...

Mark
05-13-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why sell anything? I would likely buy a FF Pentax if it were available, but truly like my K10D and would continue to use it for telephoto work (duh...). It probably helps that I only own one (yes one) APS-C lens.

Steve

(Figure that by the time Pentax goes FF my K10D will be fully depreciated anyway...)
05-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #7

I think I'd probably sell my APS system .. actually that being said, I would still maybe keep my K10D..just get rid of the cropped specific lenses..

But I would probably need to sell my K10D to be able to fund for the 'new' full frame sensor..

-Isaac

05-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use my PZ-1 as the ultimate back up to my *istD and K10D.

In all of my lenses, I only have one ASP-C limited lens, the Sigma APO 10-20mm F4-5.6 DC, which vignetts until about 14 mm on the PZ-1 but otherwise functions.

Honestly, I did not set out to have 18 full frame lenses, it just worked out that way.

do I care? I don't know is the honest answer.

I have found shooting wide is a lot of fun, (hence the 10-20) and full frame would give me potentially some options for wider field of view, like the sigma 12-24 EX DG, but .....

a lot of what I do is also low light and also wildlife, here I am covered with many primes and also fast zooms so that I have multiple options between 24mm and 200mm at F2.8 or faster, with 50 and 85mm at F1.4.

I think either way, I am covered, but at this point, I just don't see full frame as a big advantage. If I did, I would use the PZ-1 for more than backup
05-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Obviously not a terribly accurate cross-section with 34 votes at this point but I am still a little surprised at how many responded they would dump their APS cameras/lenses. 50% of those that indicated they would buy a FF Pentax (or at least assumed they could afford it).
05-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax should make a full frame digital, they don't even have to bring out a line of new FF lenses. While some people would not be able to benefit from it, alot of people have alot of film lenses, and would love a FF camera to be able to use. All Pentax have to do is take an LX, and wack a sensor in the back, and hey presto!!
05-15-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
Pentax should make a full frame digital, they don't even have to bring out a line of new FF lenses. While some people would not be able to benefit from it, alot of people have alot of film lenses, and would love a FF camera to be able to use. All Pentax have to do is take an LX, and wack a sensor in the back, and hey presto!!
WRONG

The LX is not the best body to use. While I know the LX has a cult following, a real pro, full frame DSLR would be best patterned after the PZ-1/p.

Think about it, the PZ-1p is 12 years newer than the LX, has AF, (actually a pretty good one) the KAF2 mount is already in the body, it is a nice big body, not one suffering from what I call the "M series disease"

Aside from these points, it has a shutter that can do 1/8000 with 1/250 flash sync, 4.5 frames per second

In addition it has a fully capable K mount, good and reliable TTL flash, ...

the list just goes on and on.

If the electronics were updated, and a digital sensor integrated, it would be the way to go.
05-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Okay, I just plucked the first film camera that came to mind.
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
I'm not really a landscape photographer, so I voted #3. I prefer macro and birding, and always want to be closer. I couldn't imagine going full frame and losing 50% of my length. Plus I love that my fa50 1.4 is a good portrait lens on aps-c. I would hate to need the 85...

Mark
But your not losing 50% of your length.
05-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
But your not losing 50% of your length.
no, i agree it is only 30, on the assumption that the megapixel count is the same.

the only way that photographers who use really long lenses would support full frame is if the MP count goes up, such that pixel density is the same, so you can crop to the same effective shot.

Many people who argue for full frame, do so, wanting to have bigger photosites with less noise. not higher resolution sensors
05-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'd love for people to start dumping their DA* lenses cheap