Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K10D Stereo image adapter???

PENTAX Products : Digital Cameras

So yes I was checking out the K10 official site and came across a stereo image adapter to take 3D pictures? Have I missed something or has everyone heard of this?

04-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
04-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My old MX had them listed in the lenses ans accessories booklet, so I knew about them. I have yet to see 1 outside of the book though.
This page has a little info on it
Pentax Stereo Adapter for SLRs

There was also a pentax mirror adaptor, which allowed you to shoot pictures around 90 degree corners.

sorry I couldn't find more than the pic here
Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories
04-19-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I aso noticed on the site that they offer the FA* 300mm 2.8 and FA*600mm 5.6 by order. I wonder if that is correct too.

Last edited by codiac2600; 04-19-2007 at 11:38 PM. Reason: correction
04-20-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just take 2 photos moving the camera slightly sideways between shots. That's how they take aerial photos so that the land can be contoured back in the office. Then, if you're like me, you can see the photos in 3d (some of us don't even need the special viewer). Actually I've never tried it. I think I may tomorrow.
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Those stereo adapters have been around since the MX/ME days. They pop up every so often on eekbay, but go for horrendous prices. I sure hope they sell them again (Pentax Corp. that is). I'd purchase one.

Sure, you can take two images, offset slightly. But, this method is so much easier and doesn't need post processing to view the images.
04-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of them that I have used with my LX's and a 50mm lens.

They actually do work and they can be very effective...just like the Viewmaster images you looked at when you were a kid.

The important thing here, if I am right, is that on a 35mm you have to use a 50mm lens due to parallax issues. With the DSLR sensor being much smaller I am not sure that the angle of view would be that great or that a 50mm is the right lens length for the ones you might find on ebay.

Now the ones that Pentax claims are for dslr's might just be adjusted ...for say...a 35mm lens or so...although I still think that that would induce curvature and parallax problems at the margins.

If I have time I will run tests on it this weekend and let you know.

Then again, unlike looking at slides, why the heck would you just want to view them on your monitor.....then again

Stephen

Last edited by SCGushue; 04-20-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: sp
04-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Just take 2 photos moving the camera slightly sideways between shots. That's how they take aerial photos so that the land can be contoured back in the office.
Well, that's not how it's done around here these days. Generally speaking, Radarsat and LIDAR are the solutions of choice. In fact, the word LIDAR just makes me drool... oh, the possibilities. And stereoscopic imagery doesn't actually give you empirical data with which to create DEM's or hypsographic data - it is strictly somebody's guess.

Given that we're only killin' electrons here, trying to create stereoscopic images with standard lenses is a cheap project as opposed to buying film. Without having the camera affixed to some platform that moves in a straight line and thus preserves the nadir of the picture, I'm not sure how this is going to work. Of course, this would be art, not science, so deformaties and abnormalities in the resulting images might actually have a lot of appeal.

QuoteQuote:
Then, if you're like me, you can see the photos in 3d (some of us don't even need the special viewer). Actually I've never tried it. I think I may tomorrow.
Being able to see the images without a stereoscope merely by bending over the photos and adjusting the distance you are above them, or by adjusting the distance between the two photos, is a classic sign of having spent to much time as a technician. However, the electronic stereoscopes and stereoscopic displays for GIS and GIS imagery are very, very cool if you ever get invited to have a boo at one.

04-20-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
I aso noticed on the site that they offer the FA* 300mm 2.8 and FA*600mm 5.6 by order. I wonder if that is correct too.
That is correct Pentax never discontinued them... they are just built to order lenses...

you can get one at anytime... well order one... then you have to wait for it to be produced...
04-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Then, if you're like me, you can see the photos in 3d (some of us don't even need the special viewer).
I can see stereo pairs without a viewer too, but only without my glasses. I'm slightly nearsighted, with one eye a little worse than the other. With glasses, I can give myself a raging headache in minutes trying to "pop" a stereo pair together, without them, it's a piece of cake. Slightly blurry, though! I wonder if it's easier because of my eyes being a little different normally.

I've taken a few stereo pairs, it is difficult to get a good match but it can be done. A gizmo to do it would be cool, but only if it were cheap!

Julie
04-21-2007, 06:49 AM   #11

And there's some of us that simply cannot see stereo pairs, with or without equipment. I have a mild case of "exotropia" (the opposite of being cross-eyed) and while it has no effect on my everyday life, if makes "stereo" viewing impossible for me.... Always wanted to see the effect, but while my brain seems to compensate for it in real life (seemingly one of the few things it does well, according to my wife...), I've just never managed to see it on film...
04-21-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
CDP
Forum Member

Manfretto makes a slide-bar used to make stereo pairs. Heres a link:

Manfretto Slide-bar
04-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
and doesn't need post processing to view the images.
No need to post process - just view them side by side.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Well, that's not how it's done around here these days.

Being able to see the images without a stereoscope merely by bending over the photos and adjusting the distance you are above them, or by adjusting the distance between the two photos, is a classic sign of having spent to much time as a technician. However, the electronic stereoscopes and stereoscopic displays for GIS and GIS imagery are very, very cool if you ever get invited to have a boo at one.
Okay, maybe not these days, but that's how it was done, with a lot of help from ground marking by Surveyors.

I don't bend the photos, just put them side by side. Me a technician? An insult I say Sir, pistols at dawn!!
04-22-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I bought a NOS Pentax Stereo adapter last year from a seller (through Ebay) in Israel. It is just like the gizmo in the 2nd post. I paid $150 Canadian for the whole kit; not unusually pricey in the world of modern photography. As the instructions suggest it works best on a 50mm lens and the subject should not be too far away from the lens. The resultant pictures can be viewed by simply crossing your eyes slightly or with a proper pair of 3D glasses. This site has a variety of 3D Stereo glasses .

My current problem is finding a 50mm lens for my *ist DS. With a 1.5 multification factor I would need a 33mm lens. Of course Pentax makes the famous 31mm Lens , but I am not ready to part with that kind of cash yet. So I have been playing with it on my ME Super, but have not developed the film yet. I can hold it in front of my 18 - 55mm kit lens on the dslr but that's not so great; I need a third hand.

The pictures are very narrow considering they are sharing the space of one normal width frame. If I had a filter ring adapter I could make it fit, I guess.

Anyway, the bottom line is that these devices are out there for a price and they are fun to use but only if you have the proper lens and set-up to use it.
04-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #15

May's issue of Shutterbug also has a new stereo camera from Horsefly Cameras. It's based on a discontinued Hasselblad body. Its lens are spaced about half of what a 'traditional stereo' camera would be placed at but still gives good results apparently. I think it's around $4000 and uses standard 35mm film, but there are only a very few places that will develop and mount the images. Still the little review gives a bit of insight into stereo 3d image taking, and it's short enough to just read it at the store.