Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax should keep the screw drive on all future bodies and release patches for the current and older bodies, and at the same time release future SDM lenses with the screw. Then release patches for the current and older bodies. That way we can always, ALWAYS choose whichever we want, and it will add another good thing about Pentax, being able to choose which type of AF we want to do although SDM is superior, some may not like it, who knows.

10-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #137
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've said this before, it can be done. One of my K20D's has an issue (that I like). The SDM link in the camera does not work, it's not a lens isue as they work as SDM on my other bodies. If I attach an SDM lens, the camera uses the screw drive to focus it. It works just like a normal SD camera would. I wish I knew what is causing it and could tell everyone how to do it. But I haven't figured out how to switch between SDM and SD. It's SD only.
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Why it may never happen

OK, it should be a programming piece of cake but 2 perceived problems and 1 hardware problem.
Hardware: they may not have the code space (or prefer to preserve slack for any other "patches")
Ego:
Adding the function could infer 2 things
1) USM is not faster (and now can be proved or at least "debated" ad-infinitum))
2) USM motor failures are on everyone's mind..
I afraid this is why it may never happen...................................
10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #139
Veteran Member

This is just a thought, but since Pentax is in the business of selling lenses wouldn't it be foolish for them to release a firmware patch disabling SDM.

This way when you have a (out of warranty) problem your stuck with one of 3 choices.
- live with manual Focus.
- pay the $ for the repairs. The chances are that Pentax will get most of these repair jobs, so they're making money there.
-buy a new lens. Pentax knows that several people will only buy a Pentax lens, again giving them their hard earned cash.

From a moral point of view it doesn't seem right, however the reality is that a business like Pentax can't survive if there's no one buying their products.

10-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
...This way when you have a (out of warranty) problem your stuck with one of 3 choices.
- pay the $ for the repairs. The chances are that Pentax will get most of these repair jobs, so they're making money there.
-buy a new lens. Pentax knows that several people will only buy a Pentax lens, again giving them their hard earned cash.

From a moral point of view it doesn't seem right, however the reality is that a business like Pentax can't survive if there's no one buying their products.
I see a fourth option: swith to another system.
10-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
OK, it should be a programming piece of cake but 2 perceived problems and 1 hardware problem.
Hardware: they may not have the code space (or prefer to preserve slack for any other "patches")
If there is a hardware issue, i.e. memory space, simply have two firmware versions, one without the SDM option and the full current implementation, and the second with stripped down editing features to free up memory and allow for the SDM/screw drive option.

This is just a thought, but since Pentax is in the business of selling lenses wouldn't it be foolish for them to release a firmware patch disabling SDM.

This way when you have a (out of warranty) problem your stuck with one of 3 choices.

The other option is having their customer base stop buying. What do you think the resale value of an SDM lens is now that someone has sold a failed version? What happens when even more people resort to this behavior? Is anyone going to keep paying top dollar for lenses that don't last and can't be sold? I don't think Pentax wants to try to beat the Shoe Event Horizon.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 10-21-2009 at 05:49 PM.
10-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #142
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Here's a chart showing the focusing motor tech used in each lens:
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/lens/EFLensChart.pdf

I have yet to run across a "terribly slow" lens, but then again I have not really played with the consumer zooms... but even the old tech 35/2 and 28/2.8 focus pretty quickly.
I had some of the consumer build USM Canon lenses, the first being the 28-135mm and it was still pretty darn snappy even though, as I recall it does not use ring USM but rather micro-motor driven USM much like those used in the current SDM lenses. I had no probs with BIF shots on this or any of my other Canon lenses...OTH, I had plenty of problems with the "photographer" on BIF shots. hehehe...

Even my EFS 55-250 IS was pretty quick and is was not a USM lens. I It certainly was at least as fast as my 43ltd or 77ltd though and probably on par with the DA50-135 SDM when I had it. But those are just subjective observations as I did not have both systems at the same time and can only comment on how each felt in relation to the others.

10-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #143
Veteran Member

So I guess they can just leave their lenses as it is and if it fails then it fails, good because it is some hard earned cash, hard earned cash from the SDM failure that we've earned.
10-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #144

My DA*50-135mm is out of warranty as well.. Currently SDM is still functional but its probably on its last legs. When I turn it on it seems to take about a minute of trying to focus for the first time, then about 15 seconds for the next image, 5 for the next, eventually its quick (well quick for Pentax SDM anyways) like when it was new. Stop using it for 10 minutes and I'll be back to taking a minute to focus...

I would love to be able to use it without the SDM since on the K7 the body focusing lenses gained speed that SDM seems to not have.
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
How sad, people are dumping failing lenses on the marketplace.

Link removed from quote as unhelpful.

Thank you
Russell
Russell, it is sad that this new Pentax user has a lens not up to spec, but your post is disingenuous implying that the seller knew it was failing. Before quoting this one post read the entire thread it came from and both sides of the story.

Back to the failing SDM. The approach taken at DPR was to try to engage JohnCPentax, regardless of his background he is a marketing person, I highly doubt his involvement influences anyone at Hoya/Pentax other than other marketing types. Besides nearly all those discussions have degraded into name-calling so I don't blame him for ignoring every one of those threads.

The easiest solution would still be a custom setting or per lens setting to enable screwdrive auto focus on those lenses.
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WheresWaldo Quote
Russell, it is sad that this new Pentax user has a lens not up to spec, but your post is disingenuous implying that the seller knew it was failing. Before quoting this one post read the entire thread it came from and both sides of the story.
I posted about 25 minutes before the seller posted her side of the story. The seller took about an hour to post a response as well. I was looking at her status when she was looking at the thread at around 10:30AM, so I know she saw the thread then.

If anything, I just jumped the gun.

Thank you
Russell
10-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #147
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The easiest solution would still be a custom setting or per lens setting to enable screwdrive auto focus on those lenses.
Easiest but not the best IMO.
I keep saying it, but I'm passionate about SDM being more endurant, reliable, speedy and accurate - which is within Pentax's ability to improve in reasonable time. But how to market such an improvement? What would that say about their previous SDM lenses?
10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #148
Veteran Member

probably not important

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Everyone missed my earlier post it seems but I have a screw drive K20D now. The camera has some issues and the SDM has failed in the camera. So I attach an SDM lens and the SDM does not work. Screwdrive is fine. I have 2 K20D's and the other one works as normal.

The non-SDM K20D otherwise is fine and has the latest firmware. The contacts are clean and I can't 'see' anything that would have caused this.
I wish I knew how this happened and could offer a solution to everyone who wanted to turn their K20D's to SD only bodies.
Has anyone tried to just tape over the internal contact that is used for the USM motor????
About the only thing I can think of (at least simply) is your contact has a broken wire internally.... here listed as power zoom contacts... maybe one or the other side...

Features and Operation of the Kaf2 Mount
10-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Has anyone tried to just tape over the internal contact that is used for the USM motor????
Already been done and it didn't work. A search will reveal the post that mentions this.
10-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Already been done and it didn't work. A search will reveal the post that mentions this.
Thanks, do you recall if they did both or one at a time???