Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDM Option

(1) I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I do have a SDM and want the option to have SDM Active

(2) I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I would be willing to buy another lens and would want the option there to pick SDM

(3) I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I wouldn't want to purchase a SDM lens and be stuck only using the body screwdrive motor.

06-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
(1) I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I do have a SDM and want the option to have SDM Active

(2) I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I would be willing to buy another lens and would want the option there to pick SDM

(3) I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. - I vote this as I wouldn't want to purchase a SDM lens and be stuck only using the body screwdrive motor.
Funny man. you already have everything you want then. I don't understand why everyone that is happy with the way things are isn't voting the same way?

Thank you
Russell
06-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #48
Veteran Member

SDM

Russel what I think from my experience from working at a call center or two in the past, one being Statistics Canada, is they almost would never have a opinion question in this sort of way. For example:

Your setup:

1) I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism.

Such a open ended opinion. I'd say yes please add this feature. The more the merrier. Heck if it can make me some Krispy Kreame Donuts at the same I'd add that too. What you need is a degree of want like

1) On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is not wanting it at all and 10 being a must have to purchase, how much would you want the ability to choose the focus mechanism.

2) On a scale of 1-10 how likly are you to not purchase a SDM lens if you can not use the Camera bodies screwmount system.?

3) On a scale of 1-10 put these features in order of priority that you'd like to see in future Pentax Cameras.

Faster Burst Speed, Higher MP count, Full Frame Sensor, More Telephoto Primes, SDM ScrewMount Option, Krispy Kreame Donut maker, More artistic Filters, 1080p video, Pentax made Extention Tubes, Better Menu Layout, Other

This is alot more helpful. Sure I'd like to choose to have this feature why not, the more the merrier, but is it important to me compared to other features? Not really I'd probably say it would be on the lower end of the scales.

I'm a new poster on these forums and I realize your probbaly limited on the types of things you can do but I just saying that I would agree that the survey is not very good cause it doesn't explain the degree of want. Just that some people do want it.
06-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sure I'd like to choose to have this feature why not, the more the merrier, but is it important to me compared to other features? Not really I'd probably say it would be on the lower end of the scales.
Since the effort of offering this feature is in software, which would you rather have:

Another jpeg digital filter, or the ability to choose to have faster AF by switching to the screw driven AF on a dual drive lens?

Would you like another step of jpeg sharpening, going from the current nine steps to ten, or would you like the ability to use a screw drive TC on a SDM lens?

Let's not stack the deck as you suggest by pitting it against more FPS, improved tracking AF, ... because of coarse it isn't going to matter more, except to the guy sitting at home with a broken $750 lens, that is out of warranty, with an email from Pentax service saying its going to cost $400 to fix. As he just got downsized, it really does matter more to him for some strange reason.

Thank you
Russell

P.S. You are probably right that my poll is pretty amateurish. I'm just an average guy, hoping that that people will understand my meaning about poll without having to get the lawyers involved. If I had of known I would need such precision in wording and execution, I would have left it to the experts, but then again, the experts don't care.

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-13-2009 at 06:50 PM.
06-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

SDM

I do see where your coming from, and yes I am not disagreeing with you that having a SDM motor fail and having the option in using the screwmount as a option would certainly be nice for this reason. Even if it was slower then SDM at least it would be something. Of course if you were the kind of person who liked using the Screwdrive mount and had a SDM Lens and your camera bodies motor system died then you could switch to the SDM motor.

I wasn't arguing with you merely pointing out that the options on the servey were open ended. I am new to the forums and you certianly have been around on them longer then I, I didn't know there was improved AF speed on the screwdrive motor over the SDM using a SDM Lens . I thought they were just generally slow on both before and after I upgraded my K10D's firmware.

Also had this been a regular lens without SDM and the lens contact or whatever broke after warranty you'd be in the same boat. This kind of situation certainly would make me at least think twice about getting a extended warranty with the store for the extra $50 or whatever when purchasing a SDM or any other kind of lens.
06-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wasn't arguing with you merely pointing out
I know you aren't being argumentative, you actually come across as intelligent with valid points. The poll has taken a beating for the wording and the options if you read through the thread. I'm just trying to keep people from simply dismissing it completely for not meeting their idea of what it should have been. Sure, it could be a better poll, but it is started and you can't edit or revise, it is what it is at this point.

I've read posts saying the screw drive is faster, I've read posts saying SDM is faster. It doesn't really matter if a person thinks it is faster one way or the other if there is a choice. Let each person choose their own poison.

I haven't had a good experience with third party warranties, have you? The only good experience with a manufacturer's warranty I've had, is with Pentax. They repaired my K10D when it wouldn't stop down. It wasn't just the springs derailing, a circuit board needed to be replaced in the body.

I can tell you about complaining for months to the Mini dealer that something was wrong with the car, however the mechanics weren't able to find anything wrong. It was only after the warranty had run out, and we were in for the first maintenance we would pay for, that they "found" $1200 in issues that corrected all the problems that we had been complaining about for the last six months. That was on top of the $750 maintenance.

If it was a just a standard screw drive lens that broke, sure you would be in the same boat, but as the lenses we are talking about are dual drive, screw and SDM, and the screw drive is just sitting there, and the only reason you can't use it is "just because", is that good enough?

We still haven't solved the lack of TC issue either.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-11-2009 at 10:05 PM.
06-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a quick opinion on some of the responses. Several people have asked the question of "why would you buy an SDM lens and not want to use SDM?" Well, the thing is, that all of the premium lenses (aside from DA Ltd) are SDM lenses. You don't have a choice of whether or not to buy an SDM lens if you want the best of the current Pentax offering. I currently own the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 and I would love to at least be able to compare the screwdrive speed with the SDM, and then make an informed decision about which I prefer.

I think it would be good to have a choice, especially if the new K-7 would be able to AF faster with screwdrive than SDM on the DA* lenses. I know it may seem bad on the part of Pentax if they "admit" that SDM isn't the best in the world, but maybe they could just see it as a compromise at this point. Speed vs. Quiet. I don't know the truth behind the SDM vs screwdrive speed for any particular lens, and it's hard to test when you can't trick the same camera into trying both. Maybe somebody can figure out a way to trick it to see whats up.
06-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #53
Veteran Member

"We still haven't solved the lack of TC issue either" - I certainly know how you feel. I went to the local camera store to buy some Kenko Extention tubes because they make some with contacts, I'm not even worried about AF but without them you have no apature control on digital only lens. But they don't make them any more and its become increasingly difficult to find any. The store rep called their pentax supples distributer and basically came to the conclusion my only option was ebay.

06-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #54

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
But you aren't satisfied, you want to use your lens with a TC and there isn't one to be had. It also appears there will be none manufactured by Pentax as it has been removed frorm the road map. How can you be satisfied? How can anyone be satisfied?

Thank you
Russell
No, you are wrong - I am completely satisfied with the lens. It's the teleconverter I'm not excited about. However, as other posts indicate, there are teleconverters out there that DO work with the lens.
06-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #55

Photos: Albums
Funny man. you already have everything you want then. I don't understand why everyone that is happy with the way things are isn't voting the same way?
Thank you
Russell
Because there is no option in the poll that says "I'm happy with the way it is".
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
However, as other posts indicate, there are teleconverters out there that DO work with the lens.
I hope you find one to use. Of coarse, as other posts indicate, you could buy one today, if you had the choice to use screw drive.

Thank you
Russell
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is everyone still happy with the way it is?

Thank you
Russell
07-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, here is your chance to pick up a TC that works with SDM. Not my listing, but as it took me a while to find one, I thought I would point it out in case someone else is looking.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-10-2009 at 09:47 PM.
07-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I thought it would be good to get some numbers for the people that want a firmware option to disable SDM focusing, hence this will be a poll.

Disabling SDM and using the screw drive focus mechanism provides two things, in the event SDM stops working you still can keep using AF via the screw drive, and second, the ability to use a screw drive TC.

Thank you
Russell
I agree that if SDM fails, the screw-driven AF should kick in.

That being said, I have a question about teleconverters in your scenario. If the teleconverter is screw-driven AF only and the use of a teleconverter prevents the camera from recognizing the lens (or at least my Tamron 1.4 tele prevent my k10 from reading the lens), then wouldn't screw-driven AF happen anyways? I've only got the 16-50, so I 've never had a use for a teleconverter with it and therefore haven't tried it out.

Cheers.
07-15-2009, 09:55 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
I have a question about teleconverters in your scenario. If the teleconverter is screw-driven AF only and the use of a teleconverter prevents the camera from recognizing the lens (or at least my Tamron 1.4 tele prevent my k10 from reading the lens), then wouldn't screw-driven AF happen anyways? I've only got the 16-50, so I 've never had a use for a teleconverter with it and therefore haven't tried it out.
Doesn't seem to work. I have the Pentax AF 1.7x, with it and the 50-135mm, the lens isn't recognized. The only way to get AF is through the AF in the TC.

Thank you
Russell