Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Doesn't seem to work. I have the Pentax AF 1.7x, with it and the 50-135mm, the lens isn't recognized. The only way to get AF is through the AF in the TC.

Thank you
Russell
Thanks for the info, Russell.

07-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Although 74 isn't a bad number, I'm still hoping to get another 49,926.

Thank you
Russell
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The new k-7 firmware seems to suggest that Pentax will listen to user wants. Just need to have enough users that want something done, 82 is a good start.

Thank you
Russell
08-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Well the topic title isnt that promoting, it should be something like "Vote for SDM/Screwdrive select setting in firmware now!!"
Since i dont have any screw drive lenses and not planning to buy unless such option is introduced, i opened this topic only when i was completely bored.
Another thing some already mentioned is biased and very restricting choices.
Even if you are colecting only votes not all opinions you have to make more general options,
like "I'd like to have the ability to select screw drive/SDM, other reason." or "Wan't but reason explained in discussion", "Dont need and explained".

For example what options users that have non smd bodies with sdm lenses should vote? They already have screw drive "selected". But they might not want to buy current pentax bodies because af performance may decrease and the had no option to choose. Basically they cannot vote. There are many situations so limited options may not cover.

08-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doesn't seem to work. I have the Pentax AF 1.7x, with it and the 50-135mm, the lens isn't recognized. The only way to get AF is through the AF in the TC.

Thank you
Russell
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Faires Quote
Thanks for the info, Russell.
+1 on the thanks for the details. I have a 50-135 and have the 1.7x on my TC short list...more info is always better!!

BTW, I dunno why I did not fully read the three options in the poll...but rather than #3 should have voted #1...d'oh!!

My sense is if there are two focusing mechanisms in a lens, then how can it be bad to be able to chose. Especially if one system hiccups. I do have a sense once SDM is a ring-type AF system, few folks with new bodies will use the screw-drive.
08-06-2009, 08:02 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Well the topic title isnt that promoting, it should be something like "Vote for SDM/Screwdrive select setting in firmware now!!"
Sorry, I'm not in marketing.

Since i dont have any screw drive lenses and not planning to buy unless such option is introduced, i opened this topic only when i was completely bored.
This is a first, people mostly find themselves bored after reading my posts

Another thing some already mentioned is biased and very restricting choices.
Even if you are colecting only votes not all opinions you have to make more general options,
like "I'd like to have the ability to select screw drive/SDM, other reason." or "Wan't but reason explained in discussion", "Dont need and explained".
I didn't offer any reasons why you would want the ability to determine the focus mechanism in the choices because it doesn't really matter. Either you want it and vote or you don't and don't vote.

For example what options users that have non smd bodies with sdm lenses should vote? They already have screw drive "selected". But they might not want to buy current pentax bodies because af performance may decrease and the had no option to choose. Basically they cannot vote. There are many situations so limited options may not cover.
The choice "I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism." pretty much covers the situation as it doesn't say anything about the choice being SDM or screw drive, just that the choice exists.

You do bring up an interesting point about bodies though and I have to admit it would never have thought that anyone would base their decision on upgrading bodies on this issue.

Thank you
Russell
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
My sense is if there are two focusing mechanisms in a lens, then how can it be bad to be able to chose.
That would be my thought as well.

Thank you
Russell

08-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Has anyone tried this?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67897-pentax-firmw...tml#post696865
08-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My take on SDM

Not impressed at all. I will tend to not buy SDM lenses.
1. Have seen tests that seem to say its slower focusing than screw drive.
2. It makes lenses fat. There will never be a lens the size of a Limited 40 pancake. Even Olympus has had a tough time with this.
3. Bodies wear out - lenses don't. Except when you put image stabilization or SDM in them.
4. Lenses won't af with all bodies.
thanks
barondla
Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #20 WINNERS in compact camera forum. Enter #21. Any brand camera. Enter now!. Ends soon.
08-07-2009, 06:03 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even though I haven't had any problems with my two early production DA* zooms I must admit that having the option to disable SDM would greatly help me, if only (as you rightly state) because this would enable me to use my Tamron 1.4x teleconverter on them with a better chance of success. My SDM lenses combined with this TC have trouble locking focus.

It's not important on the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 as such, but it has kept me from purchasing the DA*60-250/4 and hanging on to my FA*300/4.5. If Pentax were to provide this toggle in a firmware upgrade they might have an additional customer for a DA*60-250/4!

In the mean time I've had a report that the DA*60-250/4 would have less TC trouble, but the copy I tried myself (a pre-prod one) was the same as my other two DA* zooms... As long as there's no certainty (which could be provided by the suggested firmware upgrade) I won't buy any of the current long DA* glass.

Of course should Pentax make a DA*135-400/4 or similar I will no longer need a TC and the question becomes moot for me...

Wim
08-07-2009, 06:34 AM   #71
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Count me in!

My DA*50-135 SDM failed at 11 months, and was repaired by Pentax, but it was nice to be able to use it on my DS in Screw drive when it broke.
There will be a lot more in favor when theirs stops working and it is out of warranty. It is pretty expensive to be a manual lens, but like that cancer...."it's never going to happen to me". If they had a vaccine now to prevent cancer, I see from the poll here that many here would not get it......I'm guessing they love misery?
Regards
Rupert
08-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #72
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The poll doesn't make much sense Rupert. All 3 answers are variations on the same. Either I have a lens and want it, I am planning to buy one and want it or I won't buy till it's available. There's no "I don't care" and "It wouldn't affect my next lens choice if I don't have it".

So 100% of the voters want the choice in some way. This is something Pentax really needs to address. But it's like my Chev Venture (Montana). All of them have this problem. (I've owned 3 and they all do it) The wipers are supposed to park below the hood. After 1.5 years they park vertically and after awhile just stop working. You have to spend $250.00 to have the motor replaced. GM swears there's no issue. The parts guys would argue otherwise but are enjoying all the parts sales.

SDM is one of those things. We have the solution but we don't think there's a problem so we'll leave it as is.
08-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The poll doesn't make much sense Rupert. All 3 answers are variations on the same. Either I have a lens and want it, I am planning to buy one and want it or I won't buy till it's available. There's no "I don't care" and "It wouldn't affect my next lens choice if I don't have it".
I would think Pentax knows how many SDM lenses it sells. On the off chance that someone at Pentax might take a look at this, I'm pretty sure they could extrapolate the "I don't care" people, from the "I do care" people, if they have the "I do care" data. Their I don't care numbers are going to be a lot better as there are, after all, a lot of people that don't own a SDM lens and probably don't care. As for your second group, like I said, Pentax knows how many SDM lenses it sells.

Thank you
Russell
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would think Pentax knows how many SDM lenses it sells. On the off chance that someone at Pentax might take a look at this, I'm pretty sure they could extrapolate the "I don't care" people, from the "I do care" people, if they have the "I do care" data. Their I don't care numbers are going to be a lot better as there are, after all, a lot of people that don't own a SDM lens and probably don't care. As for your second group, like I said, Pentax knows how many SDM lenses it sells.

Thank you
Russell
I understand what you were trying to do and I admire you for it.

I don't own any SDM lenses yet, but giving Pentaxes reputation for backward compatablity, SDM lenses should all have the screw drive IMO as a backup at least and firmware to support it.
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I think you are overly optimistic if you think you'll get 50 people who are interested, let alone 50,000.
Well we are on the cusp of 100 people wanting the option to choose the focus mechanism. Still a long way from 50,000, but almost double the overly optimistic, 50.

Thank you
Russell