Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
For the numbers to mean anything, you wound need an option 'I don't want to disable SDM', which would be my choice.
Having the option to disable SDM doesn't mean you personally have to disable SDM. Is it not possible for you to look past your personal wants and see that having the option only allows more functionality and thus adds more value to the Pentax system?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-13-2009 at 06:54 PM.
08-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would like the option

Couldn't vote for some technical reasons, but would love to have this option for the lenses which do have a dual AF drive anyway, it does affect my nuying decisions even though would not stop me altogether. Meantime, I am not going to buy the new 300mm and the 55mm, among other rreasons, because I suspect SDM won't be as fast as on my old FA 50 and 300..
08-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think as long as the capability for either screw drive or SDM is available in the lens and the camera body then why not have the choice of using either? It's a valid question. I fall into a not mentioned category on the poll as one who is hesitant to buy an SDM lens because of all the failures and problems.

A couple things mentioned in some of the posts is the cost of mechanical vs motor. It seems some expect Pentax to drop the screwdrive all together in the near future because building lenses with motors is cheaper. That leaves us with an even more disturbing choice. A screw drive AF lens that may not work on future bodies or an SDM lens that is unreliable. Its bad enough that camera bodies are becoming disposable and now lenses too? Yes, you can always manual focus but I can save myself a whole lot of green by buying MF to begin with.
08-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #79
Inactive Account

simple question simple answer.
yes, i'd like that sdm on/off switch

08-19-2009, 03:39 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There have been 2,836 views of this thread and 110 people have voted. 110/2836 *100 = 3.87% I don't know if this means anything, but I thought the almost 4% voting was interesting. If we were going by the number of forum members, we would have had 0.7% of the members wanting the option to choose to disable SDM. It would only take 48 more votes to have 1%.

Thank you
Russell
08-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Whole thread looks like hoopla.
Complete time wasting :-(
I don't see here anyone who even tried VLEN CONTROL.
All you can do is making wind with your tongue.
08-19-2009, 06:04 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Please elaborate on VLEN Control.

Thank you
Russell

08-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Please elaborate on VLEN Control.
Look at Pentax Hack thread or my site (Debug mode).
To be short, it seems that this debug menu item allow to control power zoom and SDM. At least I see this looking on disassembled routines. But I don't know keys that must be used.
08-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look at Pentax Hack thread or my site (Debug mode).
To be short, it seems that this debug menu item allow to control power zoom and SDM. At least I see this looking on disassembled routines. But I don't know keys that must be used.
I've looked that the thread before, but I only saw mention of "it might", or "it maybe is". I didn't see where anyone posted that it was or that it worked. From the sound of "I don't know the keys that must be used", it seems it still hasn't been tried? I will look at the thread again to see if I've missed it.

Edit; I see the same information on the blog I saw before. I'll dig through the thread now.

Edit 2: So I'm done looking through the thread and other than the announcement that VLEN Control might be used for turning off SDM and powerzoom, I see nothing useful. From the sound of your first post, I really had my hopes up. I guess I'll just keep making wind with my tongue.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-19-2009 at 08:56 AM.
08-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #85
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

So you have a solution that doesn't work? And you call all of us time wasters? At least my tongue makes wind, your's just flaps in the breeze. Choose your language more carefully when you decide to be critical.
08-19-2009, 06:49 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
So you have a solution that doesn't work? And you call all of us time wasters? At least my tongue makes wind, your's just flaps in the breeze. Choose your language more carefully when you decide to be critical.
I think tr13 is a bit frustrated at the lack of participation in the firmware decryption/hacking, and rightfully so. Lots of people want a lot of things, few are willing to actually make a serious effort to assist. He's heading down the path that is likely the only way you'll be able to get the focus type control that this thread is about.
08-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #87
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Most of us are not programmers and like me have no clue what to do when it comes to understanding or writing code. So you're not going to have a ton of "insiders knowledge" to pass on from here.

Frankly as much as I'd like the changes, there's no way I'd load a hacked firmware into my camera unless it was a completely spare body.
08-19-2009, 07:26 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Most of us are not programmers and like me have no clue what to do when it comes to understanding or writing code. So you're not going to have a ton of "insiders knowledge" to pass on from here.

Frankly as much as I'd like the changes, there's no way I'd load a hacked firmware into my camera unless it was a completely spare body.
So, this just proves that you do exactly that I said earliar.
Why to waste time then you will never use it anyway?
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Edit 2: So I'm done looking through the thread and other than the announcement that VLEN Control might be used for turning off SDM and powerzoom, I see nothing useful. From the sound of your first post, I really had my hopes up. I guess I'll just keep making wind with my tongue.
Guys, you are really strange.
You are looking for completely working and easy to read solution?
How I suppose to come with it? As I don't have any PZ or SDM lenses.
At least TRY! As it is something real. My site have all necessary instructions to turn VLENS CONTROL, next thing is to test how to turn on/off SDM using available camera keys.
Being long time moderator and few forums owner myself I am pretty sick of pointless discussions. And this thread is perfect illustration.
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Surely there's got to be programmers other than myself on the site -- there tends to be a fairly decent percentage of IT guys on these types of forums.