Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #91
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes i want a firmware solution but i want it from Pentax. I use my cameras for work and wouldn't trust a hacked firmware that could cause them to fail in the middle of a job. That could cost me more than the price of a new lens that has an SDM failure.

I took the poll to be a suggestion to Pentax to offer this option for the K20D, K-7 and KM plus any future models.

It should be but it would seem very few people care to vote.

08-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yes i want a firmware solution but i want it from Pentax. I use my cameras for work and wouldn't trust a hacked firmware that could cause them to fail in the middle of a job. That could cost me more than the price of a new lens that has an SDM failure.

I took the poll to be a suggestion to Pentax to offer this option for the K20D, K-7 and KM plus any future models.

It should be but it would seem very few people care to vote.
Hmm. In this case I suggest you to just buy another body from other vendor if each your photo cost thousands :-)
And dreaming about Pentax making you firmware upon request. I could wish you luck here, but your doctor might thing different.

Last edited by tr13; 08-19-2009 at 08:14 AM.
08-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Guys, you are really strange.
You are looking for completely working and easy to read solution?
How I suppose to come with it? As I don't have any PZ or SDM lenses.
At least TRY! As it is something real. My site have all necessary instructions to turn VLENS CONTROL, next thing is to test how to turn on/off SDM using available camera keys.
Being long time moderator and few forums owner myself I am pretty sick of pointless discussions. And this thread is perfect illustration.
Here's the rub, I barely can afford the equipment I have. If it gets ruined, it's not going to be replaced. You might be comfortable with what you are doing as you seem to have experience doing it. That's great, more power to you, but I'll play it safe, as I don't. I'm not even sure it's legal under the laws where I live. Yes, we have some very stupid laws.

I've been trying to be polite, but I don't really care what you were or weren't, or your opinion about what this thread is or isn't. I do wish you luck with what you are doing, and I do hope you succeed. What you have done so far is more than anyone else has, and I applaud you for it.

Thank you
Russell
08-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #94
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Actually I make more with photography than my "day job". So it's important to me that the camera works right all the time.

I'm fully aware they might never make this change. It's not really in their interest to support older lenses. But they do listen and might decide it's a vauable feature in the future.

Maybe it's a language thing, I don't know how comfortable you are with English but you can really come across in a poor way with your attitude.

08-19-2009, 08:08 AM   #95
Veteran Member

OK. I got your point.
This is called "risk-income" model. The greater is your risk the more is your possible income. Yes, last 40-50 years with extremely high Europian and USA salaries due to robbery of other countries could seem as exception. Risk had been exported and income imported. So, I really happy that soon all of your will meet hard wall of reality.

Last edited by tr13; 08-19-2009 at 08:16 AM.
08-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #96
Veteran Member

And as the more topic related addition :-)
It is pretty safe to use listed debug mode commands.
And yes, it is perfectly legal to turn debug mode on your camera.
08-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK. I got your point.
This is called "risk-income" model. The greater is your risk the more is your possible income. Yes, last 40-50 years with extremely high Europian and USA salaries due to robbery of other countries could seem as exception. Risk had been exported and income imported. So, I really happy that soon all of your will meet hard wall of reality.
Thank goodness you have all your experience as a moderator and don't waste your time on pointless posts.

Thank you
Russell

08-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Youtube video reveals all... :D

I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but take a look at this video.

YouTube - DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 AF Speed

To me the screw-driven AF seems much slower, although you can't tell much simply by focusing from infinity to minimum focusing distance. =.=
08-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
To me the screw-driven AF seems much slower, although you can't tell much simply by focusing from infinity to minimum focusing distance.
It would be slower on the DS just because of the less powerful hardware in the DS. It would be a better test if it was done on a K10D with 1.1 firmware for the screw driven test and 1.3 firmware for the SDM test.

Thank you
Russell
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #100
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I saw that or one similar to it some time ago. Silly really the lens isn't doing anything, just rotating. There's a huge difference between rotating a lens and actually locking focus. The 2 SDM's I've used can normally get close to focus lock and then make these little micro adjustments before they are ready to fire. The SD lenses I have find focus lock faster.

The DA*16-50mm would lock focus on a *istD (SD only) faster than it could on a K20D (SDM enabled) in tough conditions (low contrast). Sometimes the DA* couldn't find focus on anything with the K20D. And the AF sensors on the K20D are better. With SD only lenses the K20D was better.

But the point here is much more that we'd like the choice. It's like having an MF/AF switch on the DA*16-50mm etc. If Pentax is so confident in the lens AF system, why put an AF/MF switch there? MF is soooo old school.

If the SDM motor fails, I want the option of switching to SD mode on the spot. Like right now I have a dozen weddings over the next couple of months. Pentax service would take 2-3 weeks to repair my lens. So if I had a problem, I better (I do) have a backup lens solution of my own. There are no rentals for us and no Pro service. Also if the lens is 3 years old and the motor craps out are you ready to pay $200 +++ for a repair? Wouldn't you like to just be able to use the SD that the lens actually has built in anyway?

It's like equiping the car with a spare tire but you can't use it because the car takes 15 inch tires and a 5 bolt pattern but the spare is a 13 inch with 4 bolt pattern. You have the spare, but you can't use it.
08-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

It's like equiping the car with a spare tire but you can't use it because the car takes 15 inch tires and a 5 bolt pattern but the spare is a 13 inch with 4 bolt pattern. You have the spare, but you can't use it.
I guess that makes sense... Pentax should really consider adding a switch to current models or doing something in the firmware. Not like I need the screw driven AF, but they should include the option to using it since you did pay for both a SDM motor and screw driven AF.
08-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I think tr13 is a bit frustrated at the lack of participation in the firmware decryption/hacking, and rightfully so. Lots of people want a lot of things, few are willing to actually make a serious effort to assist. He's heading down the path that is likely the only way you'll be able to get the focus type control that this thread is about.
I haven't personally asked tr13 for anything, so don't understand the frustration venting here. I don't see the poll interfering with his effort and can't see the harm in trying to get Pentax's attention by having people express a want for this. Why did the new firmware come out of the K-7, if it wasn't for satisfying a customer want?

I wish tr13 the best of luck with his efforts, but still I am going to keep asking for people to take a minute to add a vote to this poll.

Thank you
Russell
08-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #103
and
Veteran Member

I have a TC that supports SDM, the kenko PzAF, and it works with the 16-50, however with the 50-135 it just hunts and hunts and can never lock. It works fine with screw drive lenses. So having the option would be great. If not for the TC then I would never use it. Also hoping Pentax will release that SDM TC they removed from the roadmap, that would also solve my problem...
08-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #104
Veteran Member

last 40-50 years with extremely high Europian and USA salaries due to robbery of other countries
tr13, as I highly appreciate your efforts with the firmware and try to support you, let me confine myself to this single remark.

<Begin OT>
The European and US salaries reflect the high productivity of labour, powered by technology in turn powered by scientific progress and entrepreneurship. When Germany united with the Eastern part, they've shrunken some corporations from 5000 to 100 employees and still grew production. If Russia could design and build BMW, they would do, for sure. There now are great companies in Russia (like Abbyy) and this is a good thing. With recent globalisation, some "robbery" is involved as well but then the effective salaries here decreased, not increased. Because it made Europe and USA starting to export their wealth.

Believe me, it is very hard to be profitable as a company with the level of salaries we have. I know it. Hard but not impossible.

I agree that robbery of other countries takes place. But this isn't what made salaries here to be what they are. Not at all.
<End OT>

Last edited by falconeye; 08-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.
08-29-2009, 05:01 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been able to post links to this poll three times to DPR in the last few weeks as people continue to post SDM failures. One out of the three was able to resolve the issue for now, with at least one other person saying not to expect it to last as the other owner was having to trouble shoot the lens in the same way every couple of uses.

Does your lens squeak? That was noted in one of the posts as an indicator of trouble on the horizon. Good luck to everyone.

Thank you
Russell