Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 05:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Screw drive firmware for SDM lenses

I thought it would be good to get some numbers for the people that want a firmware option to disable SDM focusing, hence this will be a poll.

Disabling SDM and using the screw drive focus mechanism provides two things, in the event SDM stops working you still can keep using AF via the screw drive, and second, the ability to use a screw drive TC.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 05-14-2009 at 05:53 AM.
05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would you buy an SDM lens and disable SDM?

The SDM lenses that have screwdrives are transitional. As bodies progress, the screw drives are going to go away and all new lenses will be SDM.
05-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i guess the question is, have you had the SDM fail?

personally, I don't think there is value in it.

it would be like asking pentax to change the firmware in the *istD, DS and DS2 to allow use of TTL over P-TTL when the lenses and flash support both
05-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the screw drive disabled when I was going back to firmware v1.1 on my k10d to fix back focus, and I don't know, but it kind of semed faster. But maybe that's just because it makes all that noise. SDM always sems slow because you can't here it doing anything. I'm back on v1.3 now, but I kind of want to revert again and do some kind of test.

05-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Why would you buy an SDM lens and disable SDM?
Why did I post two reasons in my original post, when I knew there would be those that couldn't be bothered to actually read it?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 05-14-2009 at 05:16 PM.
05-14-2009, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i guess the question is, have you had the SDM fail?
I would like a cure for cancer, but I suppose then the question would then be, "have you had cancer"?

Thank you
Russell
05-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the SDM fail on my DA 300m lens while using it. I had to revert to manual focus using the focus trap method. Yeah I got the shots I wanted, but I paid for auto focus.

I sent the lens to Pentax and a replacement was sent with the exact same problem. I just verified the second lens was bad with another K20D. It'll going back to Pentax real soon

So having the ability to switch to screwdrive is something I want.

05-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=alohadave;595070]Why would you buy an SDM lens and disable SDM?QUOTE]

Find me a 50-135mm not sdm or a 80-200mm Pentax!
05-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #9

Screw drive is an auxiliary engine to SDM, why not let it be used if the main engine fails in time of needs? The capability is already there in the lens and body, what is missing is the switch.
05-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is kind of like that old trick question: "Have you stopped beating your wife"?

All of the choices presuppose that you want the choice. There is no option for someone who is satisfied with SDM only, so IMHO the poll isn't really telling you much...
05-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sean Nelson Quote
All of the choices presuppose that you want the choice. There is no option for someone who is satisfied with SDM only, so IMHO the poll isn't really telling you much...
This is not a popularity poll. It is not a poll about how many have had issues with SDM. It is not a poll to ask your opinion about SDM. It is very simply, a way to count the number of people that want a firmware option to choose SDM or screw drive for focus.

The option for those that don't want an option, don't vote.

Thank you
Russell
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

Thank you
Russell
Well I think that's fairly conclusive then
05-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is not a popularity poll. It is not a poll about how many have had issues with SDM. It is not a poll to ask your opinion about SDM. It is very simply, a way to count the number of people that want a firmware option to choose SDM or screw drive for focus.

Thank you
Russell
Interesting statement. So you don't care if 95% of the people don't want or care about this feature, you only want to hear from those that do. What will you then do with the information - tell Pentax that people are DEMANDING this feature and use your poll as proof?
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Interesting statement. So you don't care if 95% of the people don't want or care about this feature, you only want to hear from those that do. What will you then do with the information - tell Pentax that people are DEMANDING this feature and use your poll as proof?
What does it prove if more people don't want this feature than those that do? Would it prove something if 50,000 did want it? Would it still prove that same something if 50,000 wanted it and 950,000 didn't. 50,000 is still a pretty big number, eh?

Thank you
Russell
06-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What does it prove if more people don't want this feature than those that do? Would it prove something if 50,000 did want it? Would it still prove that same something if 50,000 wanted it and 950,000 didn't. 50,000 is still a pretty big number, eh?

Thank you
Russell
I think you are overly optimistic if you think you'll get 50 people who are interested, let alone 50,000. However I was thinking in terms of extrapolated results. If you get 2 who say they are interested, 2 who say they aren't, with 15 who say they don't care and you extrapolate those results, then you would see the vast majority of people don't consider it an issue. By ignoring the 'not interested' you may be turning your back on a significant number that could effect any proposed changes.