Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Select the option that best describes your agreement with the statement
I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 20258.38%
I am planning on buying a SDM/screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 6919.94%
I will not buy a SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. 7521.68%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I am planning on buying a SDM lens and I want the SDM focus mechanism to work. Properly.
I would pay more for reliability, precision and speed, btw. If a ring-SDM motor is required for this, then Pentax can send me a ring-SDM 60-250 f/4 lens tomorrow morning, for let's say 10% more $.

06-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a problem with the presented options.
My situation is the following:
- I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism.
- I will not buy another SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. Then, the DA*300 might be on the list.
- I have a K10D so I know: no more firmware updates for this one.

Hmm

ps for the sake of your poll, I voted for option 3. Might make some impression on a company concerned with a potentially growing customer base.
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I think you are overly optimistic if you think you'll get 50 people who are interested, let alone 50,000.
I can't be the only one that wants to use a TC with SDM lenses? I would imagine as more people buy the 200mm or 300mm, now that the SDM TC is off the lens road map, that they might entertain the idea as well? Especially as the old TCs that do seems to support SDM, are getting harder to find?

Why wouldn't you want to have the ability to switch?

Thank you
Russell
06-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Although I think the poll is a bit flawed, I voted for #1 because I'm on my second DA*16-50mm and the SDM sucks. The in body motor is bigger and faster. I've used the lens on my *istD (SD only) which has an older AF sensor system and it works better than the K20D particularly in low light. Don't ask me why, but the SDM hunts constantly and the SD doesn't.

I want TC ability and finally if the SDM fails (and there have been a few) I want to be able to choose the in body drive. With the K series cameras and the new K-7 there are choices and menus for everything. Why not this?

Can anyone remember a complaint here or elsewhere of the body motor crapping out? Not me.

06-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Although I think the poll is a bit flawed, I voted for #1 because I'm on my second DA*16-50mm and the SDM sucks.
How would you have voted before you had the issue with the first 16-50mm and there was a "don't care or don't need it" option? If you don't have an issue, why complain, right? In time, maybe there will be more votes added by the unlucky that might also would have voted "don't care, don't need it"?

Thank you
Russell
06-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I too have a problem with the presented options.
My situation is the following:
- I have a dual SDM and screw drive lens and I want the ability to choose the focus mechanism.
- I will not buy another SDM lens until I have the ability to choose the focus mechanism. Then, the DA*300 might be on the list.
- I have a K10D so I know: no more firmware updates for this one.

Hmm

ps for the sake of your poll, I voted for option 3. Might make some impression on a company concerned with a potentially growing customer base.
OK, didn't see that one coming. The third option is the strongest, so I agree with your vote there.

I lucked into a new $500 50-135mm at a closing Ritz, so I find myself in a funny spot. I wasn't planning on buying any SDM lenses; too expensive, one year warranty, and posts about lenses that have broken. Just not where I want to take risks. I probably should just sell the lens.

Thank you
Russell
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is anyone going to offer a reason why having the choice is a bad thing?

Thank you
Russell

06-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Is anyone going to offer a reason why having the choice is a bad thing?

Thank you
Russell
My guess would be that having the choice would be acknowledging the existence of a (possible) problem with the SDM mechanism.
I think this would feel awkward to those not affected by this problem (yet).
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
My guess would be that having the choice would be acknowledging the existence of a (possible) problem with the SDM mechanism.
I think this would feel awkward to those not affected by this problem (yet).
Human nature being what it is, sure, but can't we just justify it by saying we want to be able to use screw driven AF TCs? Pentax could even use this rational to show that it won't leave its users in a lurch, like having the SDM TC removed from the road map really is.

Thank you
Russell
06-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DA*16-50, and the DA*50-135, but I will probably not buy another SDM lens. Between hearing about failures, and seeing how slow SDM is, I'd just as soon avoid it. For instance, if I go after a 300mm, it'll probably be the F or FA, instead of the DA (unless support for screwdrive is implemented.)
06-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I hope they never kill the screwdrive.

Why?

Because it'd take a miracle - even for Pentax - to fit SDM into, say, the DA70 and keep it the same size.

Not to mention the other advantage: cheaper lenses for the lower end.

And back up and switching would be awesome. Redundancy is a good thing. Like being able to put AA batteries into the DBG4, it's all about reliability, and continuing to function.
06-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I thought it would be good to get some numbers for the people that want a firmware option to disable SDM focusing, hence this will be a poll.

Disabling SDM and using the screw drive focus mechanism provides two things, in the event SDM stops working you still can keep using AF via the screw drive, and second, the ability to use a screw drive TC.

Thank you
Russell
For the numbers to mean anything, you wound need an option 'I don't want to disable SDM', which would be my choice.
06-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Can't we tape the SDM contacts so that it'll focus using screw-drive? I already sold my K20D and K10D (to fund the K-7 ) so I can't try this myself... or will the body detect the lens and stubbornly choose only SDM despite not "detecting" the SDM contacts?
06-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand why you would pay extra for SDM and then not use it. If you just want a body driven lens, wouldn't you buy one? I guess I would just like to see them come out with a more durable, more potent version of SDM that wasn't as prone to motor burn out. The transition lenses with SDM and body driven options really are a lousy idea that probably significantly increases risk of lens failure.
06-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

something to remember in all of this is that there are 2 varients of SDM (or what ever it gets called)

while it is true that some SDM lenses offer a mechanical drive down to the camera body, and hence offer two potential focusing systems, more advanced WSDM lenses DO NOT by limiting SDM technology to the first generation, which would offer both SDM and screw drive you are limiting the abilities of lens designers to some extent.

It's all up to you, but there may come a time when you want something that is only SDM compatible due to image quality.