Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Question about K20D

I've been a Nikon user for many years, but on occasions I use Pentax equipment. I just got K20D off ebay and I like the image quality a lot. I immediately got used to the user interface, but there is one thing I can't figure out. I can't see in the upper LCD the number of images available on the memory card. Does anyone know how to set your K20D to see the empty memory space on the SD card?

Cheers,
Dan

05-14-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe it's in the Custom Menu settings somewhere. (I know, not very helpful, but at least you get a free bump.)

I do know you can change the top LCD to display various things, one of them being the number of shots remaining.

If all else fails, go into the menu and do a system reset. That should do it.
05-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, it usually shows up right when I switch the camera on, in the space where it usually displays ISO. So, if I want to see how many shots I have left, I turn the camera off and turn it back on. But I'm sure there's something else you can do that I just haven't taken the time to discover yet?
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I was just playing around with my K20D. I searched through the menus and didn't find any options. But I do notice that it depends on what mode you have it set to as to whether is hows ISO or # of pics left on your card. Sv,Tv,Av,TAv all show ISO. P,M,B all show # of pics left on card.

05-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madmikess Quote
I was just playing around with my K20D. I searched through the menus and didn't find any options. But I do notice that it depends on what mode you have it set to as to whether is hows ISO or # of pics left on your card. Sv,Tv,Av,TAv all show ISO. P,M,B all show # of pics left on card.
Interesting. My camera is just the opposite B, M, Av, Tv, P, Green all show shots remaining - which makes more sense when you think about what Sv and TAv do.

Must be something in the menu - but my cursory look didn't turn up anything.

Jer
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Dom

It's number 31 in the 'C' custom menu, if you you can switch it from ISO to shots remaining.
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddjchemist Quote
I've been a Nikon user for many years, but on occasions I use Pentax equipment. I just got K20D off ebay and I like the image quality a lot. I immediately got used to the user interface, but there is one thing I can't figure out. I can't see in the upper LCD the number of images available on the memory card. Does anyone know how to set your K20D to see the empty memory space on the SD card?
Most likely either you or previous user has set the camera to display ISO instead of shots remaining.

You can see number of shots remaining in some modes by pressing OK button.
05-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Geez you'd think we were expurts or something. 1 question and 6 different answers. Dom's right but as has often been discussed before, the number is a 'suggestion'. Each shot will have a varied amount of data and can be several Mb's bigger or smaller than the average. You'll think there are 10 shots left on a 4 Gb card and notice the count now shows 22 or whatever. It's not very accurate.

05-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
jlp
Forum Member

Additionally, with remaining shots set, pressing the OK button will display the ISO setting. Holding the OK button and while rotating the front e-dial allows you to dynamically change the ISO (from your pre-set value--FN button function.) Pressing the GREEN button while holding the OK in returns to your default setting set using the FN function.
05-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you all, especially Dom. His advice was right. It was a Custom Setting option that needed to be changed.