Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I say keep it. The resale value of the K10 doesn't seem to exceed its value as a backup. You have a reliable machine there, and though I've never had any problems with my K20, you never know.

My wife pointed out to a neighbour that I had an "extra camera," (what we call a "second body") when I got my K20D, and so my K100D went to a neighbour kid.

I ended up picking up another K100 a few months later--they're much different cameras though, and the K100 is a great size for throwing in a bag. I'm less protective of it because I got it so cheap, so I take it more places and that's a good thing for me.

05-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by houstonmacgregor Quote
It is a proven law of physics, 153 minutes after you sell the K10D something will happen to the K20D and you will need the backup.
Rule of thumb: Put coffee cup down and swallow before reading posts.
05-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #33

I just got myself a K20D, as the matter of fact, the Titanium Limited edition...But I will not let go my K10D, besides an excellent and reliable camera with me for more than 2 years, it will be my back up camera, or second camera when I am doing wedding photo shot...always a good idea to have 1 mounted with zoom lens and another wiht prime lens, like a 50mm F1.4.... my two cents!
05-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mithrandir Quote
Another advantage to keeping the K10D is the sensor is a CCD vs the CMOS in the K20D. They treat things differently. As an analogy, it is like shooting Kodak or Fuji with a film camera only now you need two cameras to do it. By the way, both cameras take great pictures.
Good point.I have both the K10 and K20, and I like iso100 better on the K10, higher iso's better on the k20.

Chris

05-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #35
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
So my question is - am i stupid thing here to hang onto 2 cameras and likely won't use the K10 that much when i can still sell it for a reasonable price? what have others found? I do have a brother with a K10 who would loan me his camera in a pinch - i guess.

thanks for any advice, Phil
I would sell it immediately with a lens attached which I want a get rid of (say like 18-55mm) before prices drop more , and invest for a good lens, or upgrade an existing lens, to get an upper class lens I dream of, instead of dragging around a second body. Unless you are a freelance professional photographer have no time for changing lenses in different situations. Here in Turkey K10's are highly sought, it might work on ebay.

IMO in digital world camera is small fraction for good photography, I guess you are coming from film era too.

Best wishes.
Can.

Last edited by cbaytan; 05-18-2009 at 04:33 AM.
05-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #36

So my question is - am i stupid thing here to hang onto 2 cameras and likely won't use the K10 that much when i can still sell it for a reasonable price? what have others found? I do have a brother with a K10 who would loan me his camera in a pinch - i guess.

(I think this topic has already had a good discussion throughout the thread but here are my thoughts since a already wrote them down.)

I think this is totally a question of budget. I'm just now trying to get an up-to-date Pentax body. I need to sell my trusty K10D to compensate for it. If it weren't for that, I would keep the K10D as a backup. Or as a secondary body needed for certain photography situations like it was explained above by other people.

But if you ARE going to sell it. You are probably better off selling it RIGHT NOW. I don't really know about the price development of these cameras but right now I would guess the price of a K10D will drop even more right after the new K is revealed. And that's already in two days.

"now reluctant to sell K10"
Heh, I love it how you care for your Pentax. :)
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM   #37

When I bought my K20 I kept my K10 as second body. I prefer shooting primes so I usually carry two bodies at all times (including trips). Since the K10 and K20 have similar interfaces, I find them ok to work with simultaneously. Previously I had worked with K10 and DS, but that was a nightmare due to the differences between the cameras.

Initially I did not use the K10 that much, since I found the K20 so much better. But after a while I tested a bit more, and realised that in bright lighting, the K10 matches the K20 very well, and it is only in lower light there is a huge difference. I only have a battery grip on the K20, so the K10 is still quite a small and compact camera, hanging over my should typically with a 100 or 200 at my side while the K20 has the 14, 35, 50 or 85 depending on situation. So I would recommend you to keep your K10, and not just as a back-up but try using it as a second body.

One of the issues I think I will have with the K-7 is that the interface is very different. I would hate using K-7 and K20 together (as I did using K10 and DS). Sometimes even the small differences between K20 and K10 are very annoying. For me this might mean I will have to get two K-7 bodies........so I am taking it slow this time. I will not be among the first to get a K-7, and hopefully I will not have to upgrade at all.....but more likley I will be one of the first with two K-7 bodies :-)

I was able to get a K20 for $600 which i think is an absolute bargain, but now find that I can't get myself to sell the K10. The K20 is just fine for my needs, fast AF, SR is better, other nice features, have to be careful not to under expose, but its fine and will help me to print larger - which i do a lot.

For one reason, if the K20 ever needs maintenance, it would really be a pain not to have a backup camera. For one thing, i volunteered recently to take pics for a local playhouse production, and i've been able to continue selling some framed pics at a local outlet. I like taking pictures. With some of the stories of cameras having to be sent in 1, 2, or even 3 times to get fixed, that essentially puts one out of the business.

So having a backup camera seems to make a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, the K10 and K20 are similar technology, they are going to age together, they are both the same size, etc. For the last 2 years, i've never maintenance on my K10, its the ever ready camera :-)

05-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got back from a 600 mile car trip. It was amazing how useful that second body was. I have the DA-300 which is inconvenient, in some ways, since there is no zoom with it to other FL.

With the K20 and K10, I kept one body attached to the 300mm in one bag, and then a second body attached to something shorter lens in another bag. I didn't used to get many photos out of the 300mm because it was too inconvenient to change out, then change again when a shorter lens was needed. Not to mention the large hood that needs installation. Now, not a problem.

Thanks for all the replies = great ideas.

Last edited by philbaum; 05-18-2009 at 06:48 PM.
05-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #39

I just got back from a 600 mile car trip. It was amazing how useful that second body was. I have the DA-300 which is inconvenient, in some ways, since there is no zoom with it to other FL.

With the K20 and K10, I kept one body attached to the 300mm in one bag, and then a second body attached to something shorter lens in another bag. I didn't used to get many photos out of the 300mm because it was too inconvenient to change out, then change again when a shorter lens was needed. Not to mention the large hood that needs installation. Now, not a problem.

Thanks for all the replies = great ideas.
Now when you have tried that kind of shooting, you will notbe able to stop. I feel very handicapped with only one body. I am too lazy to change lenses all the time, and I really don't like zooms :-) With two bodies you tend to use all of your lenses. On teh second body you can put any lens just because you have not used it for a long time.