Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Bought K20, now reluctant to sell K10

I was able to get a K20 for $600 which i think is an absolute bargain, but now find that I can't get myself to sell the K10. The K20 is just fine for my needs, fast AF, SR is better, other nice features, have to be careful not to under expose, but its fine and will help me to print larger - which i do a lot.

For one reason, if the K20 ever needs maintenance, it would really be a pain not to have a backup camera. For one thing, i volunteered recently to take pics for a local playhouse production, and i've been able to continue selling some framed pics at a local outlet. I like taking pictures. With some of the stories of cameras having to be sent in 1, 2, or even 3 times to get fixed, that essentially puts one out of the business.

So having a backup camera seems to make a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, the K10 and K20 are similar technology, they are going to age together, they are both the same size, etc. For the last 2 years, i've never maintenance on my K10, its the ever ready camera :-)

So my question is - am i stupid thing here to hang onto 2 cameras and likely won't use the K10 that much when i can still sell it for a reasonable price? what have others found? I do have a brother with a K10 who would loan me his camera in a pinch - i guess.

thanks for any advice, Phil

05-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't use my K10D much anymore, but I'm glad it's there when I need it. I never had to send my K20D for service, but for some things, it is really handy to have the second camera with a different lenses to cope with situation where the "scene" changes rapidly. All that to say that I understand what you're going through.
05-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sell it to a friend for a very fair price. If your k20d ever has a problem and you absolutley MUST have a camera then you have a friend that will lend you one.... best of both worlds!

mike
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Sell it to a friend for a very fair price. If your k20d ever has a problem and you absolutley MUST have a camera then you have a friend that will lend you one.... best of both worlds!

mike
My thoughts exactly. When I upgraded from K100 to K20 I gave the K100 to a good friend, and if I ever need to borrow it I can.

05-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not dumb at all - very good idea. Always have backup!!

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I was able to get a K20 for $600 which i think is an absolute bargain, but now find that I can't get myself to sell the K10. The K20 is just fine for my needs, fast AF, SR is better, other nice features, have to be careful not to under expose, but its fine and will help me to print larger - which i do a lot.

For one reason, if the K20 ever needs maintenance, it would really be a pain not to have a backup camera. For one thing, i volunteered recently to take pics for a local playhouse production, and i've been able to continue selling some framed pics at a local outlet. I like taking pictures. With some of the stories of cameras having to be sent in 1, 2, or even 3 times to get fixed, that essentially puts one out of the business.

So having a backup camera seems to make a lot of sense to me. On the other hand, the K10 and K20 are similar technology, they are going to age together, they are both the same size, etc. For the last 2 years, i've never maintenance on my K10, its the ever ready camera :-)

So my question is - am i stupid thing here to hang onto 2 cameras and likely won't use the K10 that much when i can still sell it for a reasonable price? what have others found? I do have a brother with a K10 who would loan me his camera in a pinch - i guess.

thanks for any advice, Phil
05-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
For one thing, i volunteered recently to take pics for a local playhouse production, and i've been able to continue selling some framed pics at a local outlet.
These are both excellent reasons to have a backup.
05-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would keep the K10 as backup, and I never shoot projects for other people or sell photos for money. Because you do these things you absolutely need a backup: it is critical that you can get the second camera into your hands exactly when you need it. So, I wouldn't sell the K10D, or give it away, or loan it.

If you get rid of it, you will wish you hadn't (unless you buy a K7 and keep the K20 as a backup)
;-)

05-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the resll price is only $350-400 and at that I would suggest you keep it. If you use the camera for work, you need a second body and a backup. There are lots of times that I have a short lens on the K10 and a long lens on the K20. Love having the second body. My back up is a *istD.

Also consider that you take on a job or project across town. In the middle of the work, the camera has a problem. You have to go get the backup from your friend if you can find him and possibly miss the rest of the day. All I need to do is reach in the camera bag and switch lenses. Back to work in 30 seconds.

But don't leave it sitting on the shelf for months at a time. The shutter needs to be fired from time to time.
05-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Damn Brit

I have a K20 and a K10. I tend to keep the M42 adapter on the K10 so I can play with my old lenses.
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always enjoyed a second body in the film days. Sometimes it is just too much trouble to switch lenses.
05-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I have a K20 and a K10. I tend to keep the M42 adapter on the K10 so I can play with my old lenses.
Thats my philosophy(The missus thinks Im nuts for having 2 bodies)

cheers
05-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #12

I have both as well as the Ds, When I'm out taking motorsport or landscape photos I find easier to have them with lenses ready to go. There is also less of an opportunity to have crap coming into the bodies when changinf lenses.

SO KEEP IT..
05-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Thats my philosophy(The missus thinks Im nuts for having 2 bodies)

The missus thinks I'm nuts already, does that mean I can keep two camera bodies too?
05-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mate you only live once go on live a bit on the wild side
No one dies for owing 2 bodies

cheers
05-15-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
No one dies for owing 2 bodies
It always depends about the type of "bodies" you're talking about.