Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Viewfinders K20 vs K100DS

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I currently own a K100DS and a bigger brighter viewfinder would be nice for my old eyes.
Is the VF on the K20D leaps and bounds better?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

05-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some say yes. I say no. I can see the difference side by side, but if you handed one to me and had me look through it, I couldn't tell you which was which. Whereas the difference between either of these on one hand and a typical 35mm SLR is *obvious*. Upgrading to the K20D makes a slight difference, but if you're used to shooting film, it's still going to seem pretty weak.

BTW, the O-ME53 magnifier pretty much erases the size difference between between the two DSLR's, and fast lenses make up for much of the brightness difference. Unless you're just itching to buy a new camera, I'd start by picking up the O-ME53.
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, the O-ME53 magnifier pretty much erases the size difference between between the two DSLR's, and fast lenses make up for much of the brightness difference. Unless you're just itching to buy a new camera, I'd start by picking up the O-ME53.
Good advice, Marc. Another option is the KPS U-13C. It gives more magnification than the O-ME53, but costs twice as much (about $75US). I guess it depends on how much magnification you want.
05-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Marc Sabatella: Some say yes. I say no. I can see the difference side by side, but if you handed one to me and had me look through it, I couldn't tell you which was which. Whereas the difference between either of these on one hand and a typical 35mm SLR is *obvious*. Upgrading to the K20D makes a slight difference, but if you're used to shooting film, it's still going to seem pretty weak.
I have not seen the view through the K100ds, but have compared my K20's view with my Super Program--as Marc says, there is no comparison. For manual focus I picked up a split prism almost immediately after getting the K20, along with the O-ME53. But I still struggled with manual focus.

QuoteQuote:
Oregon Jim: Good advice, Marc. Another option is the KPS U-13C. It gives more magnification than the O-ME53, but costs twice as much (about $75US). I guess it depends on how much magnification you want.
Oregon Jim is right on the money! The KPS U-13C, after one year of struggling with manual focus, has brought joy to me. It makes that much of a difference--it really does, though it is expensive. I would buy it over and over again and I am very careful with spending on the DSLR--once returned a Katzeye as a matter of fact.

05-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

Where can I buy one of these wigets?
05-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

There is a KPS 1.3X for Pentax, and others, for $39.95 on Amazon. It is not labeled "KPS U-13C" however...
05-15-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

O-ME53 is available direct from Pentax's web site, I believe, or probably from B&H and other major outlets.

05-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
Thanks!

Where can I buy one of these wigets?
NEW KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece 1.35x for Canon Nikon - eBay (item 330330184710 end time May-24-09 01:45:17 PDT)
05-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One more question.

Will the magnifier make the image look darker?
Let's just say i'm using my 400mm at f8, will the magnifier still help me focus better?

Thanks again,
Ray
05-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Raybo:

One more question.

Will the magnifier make the image look darker?
Let's just say i'm using my 400mm at f8, will the magnifier still help me focus better?

Thanks again,
Ray

No, the magnifier will not make the viewfinder darker, though some people report slight vignetting in extreme corners of the viewfinder. This can be overcome by moving your eye in the eyepiece.

It will magnify your view by 1.35x if using the KPS--this surely helps manual focus at all focal lengths, though the selected subject matters too.

The darkening of the viewfinder, at f 5.6 and smaller, occurs with a split prism--are you using a split prism? I think you may have conflated the effects of split prisms and magnifiers.
05-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
No, the magnifier will not make the viewfinder darker, though some people report slight vignetting in extreme corners of the viewfinder. This can be overcome by moving your eye in the eyepiece.

It will magnify your view by 1.35x if using the KPS--this surely helps manual focus at all focal lengths, though the selected subject matters too.

The darkening of the viewfinder, at f 5.6 and smaller, occurs with a split prism--are you using a split prism? I think you may have conflated the effects of split prisms and magnifiers.
Thanks again!

I'm using the "stock" K100DS VF.
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Thanks again!

I'm using the "stock" K100DS VF.
You are welcome--you will not get darkening in your viewfinder with this setup, at any aperture, unless, of course, you use older lenses and compose while stopped down.
05-16-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
julianactive

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
You are welcome--you will not get darkening in your viewfinder with this setup, at any aperture, unless, of course, you use older lenses and compose while stopped down.
I haven't taken your advice yet on the magnifier but I probably will. You are costing me money!
05-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
KPS U-13C or O-ME53?

I need more advice before ordering.

Thanks again,
Ray
05-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
julianactive: I haven't taken your advice yet on the magnifier but I probably will. You are costing me money!
Yes, this surely can get expensive. It takes a lot struggling at times to keep it under control. I waited a while before I bought the KPS because it seemed like so much money for an eyepiece. But, once I realized how important manual focus is to my style, it was a no-brainer decision. I now get better shots, with more control at larger apertures--this enables me to get more creative. But I'm sure the eyepiece would have little use to a great number of people.

Don't buy the KPS unless you are sure you need it.