Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
BG2 Question

G' Day All,

Apologies if the question has been asked before...

I'm the proud new owner of a second hand BG2 but am not sure if everything works. I noticed that the main switch on the grip does not turn the camera On or Off. It works the depth of field preview (if your settings are set that way) BUT only if the main switch on the camera is also ON. In fact all the other switches (green button, AE L and exposure compensation button) work as do the two e-dials BUT only if the main switch on the camera is ON.

The I've checked the manual and there's nothing to tell me whether this feature is intended or if I just made a not-so-good purchase. It just seems a bit silly that you have a main switch on the battery grip that does not turn the camera on and all the switches and dials do nothing until the main camera switch is turned ON.

Can anyone shed light on this?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ramon

05-14-2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No worries - it's working properly... That confused me briefly when I got mine too, but what that switch does is activate/deactivate the grip controls. Try it, with the camera on normally, but the grip switch in the off position, your grip controls should have no effect, while the on-body controls will still work - turn the grip on, and those controls should join it.

Last edited by heliphoto; 05-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.
05-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Once you've been using it for a while you'll be glad it has a switch there too. The shutter release button on the grip has a habit of getting depressed by the heel of your hand, and/or your hip if you've got the camera slung (I've got some interesting shots of my feet I certainly don't recall making...).
05-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Josh and Jim! I can now breath a little easier.

Cheers,

Ramon

05-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As has been said before, the switch on the camera is the master switch, and thishas to be on before the BG2 will work.

There are also two main issues to be aware of with the BG2:
- the first one, mentioned by Venturi, is inadvertently putting pressure on the BG2 shutter button when the grip is on. You could be in a menu somewhere, or reviewing photos, when suddenly the screen goes blank; what most likely has happened is the bottom or heel of your right hand has accidentally pressed on the grip shutter button.
- the second one is not clicking the grip e-dials into place. If you find that the e-dials on the camera aren't responding, it''ll most likely be due to one of the e-dials on the grip not being in an actual "click". Click it into place, and all the e-dials should work again.

Hope that helps and enjoy your BG2!
05-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
As has been said before, the switch on the camera is the master switch, and thishas to be on before the BG2 will work.

There are also two main issues to be aware of with the BG2:
- the first one, mentioned by Venturi, is inadvertently putting pressure on the BG2 shutter button when the grip is on. You could be in a menu somewhere, or reviewing photos, when suddenly the screen goes blank; what most likely has happened is the bottom or heel of your right hand has accidentally pressed on the grip shutter button.
- the second one is not clicking the grip e-dials into place. If you find that the e-dials on the camera aren't responding, it''ll most likely be due to one of the e-dials on the grip not being in an actual "click". Click it into place, and all the e-dials should work again.

Hope that helps and enjoy your BG2!
ALL of what you just said happens to me ALL of the time!

But I still love the grip, however!