Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many Mega Pixels do you personally need?

In reality, how many mega pixels does a DSLR need before you can say to yourself "I don't need anymore, I am going to keep this as long as it lasts?

I am thinking 10-15 is likely what I will need.

how about you? and why?

thanks

10-31-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, this may sound heretical, but sometimes I think I could get along with 4mp or so. I haven't had occasion to zoom-by-crop very much, and I don't print big. Actually I don't print much at all -- for instance when sending pictures to relatives, I prefer to email them links into a web album.

The other reasons I'm not motivated to look much beyond the current standard 6mp are related to storage space and especially processing time. I often do my postprocessing on a rather old and underpowered laptop. A 10mp camera would end up forcing me to replace that.
10-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #3

I have printed acceptable 8x10 pics from my 2mp P&S. With my k100d I could probably get acceptable 16x20 prints. I use my camera for personal use so I don't need to be ultra critical of the printed sharpness.
10-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
In reality, how many mega pixels does a DSLR need before you can say to yourself "I don't need anymore, I am going to keep this as long as it lasts?

I am thinking 10-15 is likely what I will need.

how about you? and why?

thanks
Well, I took over 2,000 shots with my Fuji 3.1MP P&S. Printed many of them to 8x10. Was not unhappy with those results. the 6.1MP of the K100D are a real bonus for me. I may never "need" more than 6MP but will probably upgrade to 10MP, or more, sometime in the future.

My favorite saying when it come to things such as this is:

"What does need have to do with it?" After all, I didn't "need" the K100D.

Ed

10-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #5

thats a very good topic i reckon. although i do have a natrual tendancy to shoot the highest possible, i just came to come to think of it, the higher MP just means two things:

1. i waste more memory (no wonder i used to get by on a 256 and now a gig seems not enough)

2. every photo I take, I have to spend time in the comp resizing it back down

actually, a thought (and hope) came to my head that perhaps in the future, makers of DSLRs wont be simply increasing MP count, but rather, a move towards consumerizing full-frame models as the manufacture costs of CCDs come down in price. Thats why i am skeptical by a lot of these APS sized lenses - would they end up like the Beta video?
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM   #6

One thing to remember is that resolution does not double with the megapixel value. Some think that a 12MP camera had twice the resolution as a 6MP. The truth is that you would need a 24MP camera to achieive that.

In the next 5 years I bet we see a huge jump in technology. When I picked that k100d I figured that by the time I mastered it the k10d would have a replacement. I have heard that the next wave of high end consumer d-slrs will be 20-30MP.

In that case we will need stackable grips. One for batteries and another for memory!
10-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
6.1 as I have right now is plenty for my needs. I will only buy the new K10D for the weather protection and speed. If they would have kept the old sensor I would have been perfectly happy.
10-31-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
More megapixels isn't going to improve my eye, the steadiness of my hands, or my ability to act on the moment. Until I feel limited by 6.1 megapixels, I don't want more, I waste enough HD space as it is!

Julie

10-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #9

happy with 6.1 at the moment

I am happy with the resolution from my DL. Given that I have only had a dSLR for 6 months I am still learning. As the majority of my pictures are viewed on a PC screen upgrading to a K10 does not seem worth it. I will need to improve on my technique before justifying moving to 10 mp or greater. By then technology would have improved and a 18-24 mp will become affordable
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #10

yeah, and another point i guess is that when you are looking at a full 100% crop, the 10MP wont necessarly be a lot sharper than the 6MP would it? That would have to depend on the resolution of the lens which is measured in lines/mm. the sensor size is the same so if u cram more pixels/mm but cant match it with a better lens, u'd jsut get more blurry pixels, is that true?
10-31-2006, 06:54 PM   #11

So far I've been doing fine with the *st D. The K10D has two finger wheels, and shake reduction so I'm getting it as the only pro-spec Pentax DSLR with SR. I'm sure I'll continue to produce 16x20 with little difficulty.