Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #1

Buying Equipment in Asia...

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with buying camera equipment in Asia? I'm working in China for the next few months and need to replace my K110D (with a K10D of course). I figure if I buy it here and have problems with it when I get back to the states (which might be a while) I'm SOL. I haven't priced them here yet but I would think they would be cheaper so it may be worth it. I also thought about buying it over the Internet and having it shipped to a friend then having that friend ship it to me but I'm not sure how that would work with customs and all that. I don't know when I'll be back in the states as I'll probably go to another job overseas when I'm done in China but I need a good camera. Too many photo ops, too little time, and the Casio Exilim I have just doesn't do the job.

Just looking for experiences, thoughts, and ideas.

Thanks,

Slick

04-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Buying gear in China may not be a good idea as the prices are usually comparatively higher than the same goods sold in Japan in Hong Kong (Japan is cheapest for hot models). I don't know if it is cheaper in your country, though.

When you buy Pentax bodies and lenses in Hong Kong, do bear in mind they have a specially labelled versions for their customers, too. While the labels have many of the common symbols for certified standards and place of origin omitted, I'm not sure if actually insides the goods are identical or not (as the labels have some of the international standards symbols excluded). Plus, the services provided by the HK & China sole agent, the Jebsen & Co, sucks.

For shots of the labels of those gear (actually, most of my recent Pentax gear are like that), you can have a look at my recorded pictures below:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Where are the Pentax DSLRs and Lenses Made?

Finally, do note since around late 2004 and early 2005, the goods sold via Jebsen in HK did not carry international warranty anymore as they did before, which the warranty can only be used in China province.

Afterall, for foreigner, buying Pentax gear at Japan home should be the wise choice. Otherwise, you can buy in Hong Kong provided that the price is low enough, but then you will lose the warranty immediately when you back to home. If the price difference is small, it simply won't worth.

QuoteOriginally posted by Slick Quote
Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience with buying camera equipment in Asia? I'm working in China for the next few months and need to replace my K110D (with a K10D of course). I figure if I buy it here and have problems with it when I get back to the states (which might be a while) I'm SOL. I haven't priced them here yet but I would think they would be cheaper so it may be worth it. I also thought about buying it over the Internet and having it shipped to a friend then having that friend ship it to me but I'm not sure how that would work with customs and all that. I don't know when I'll be back in the states as I'll probably go to another job overseas when I'm done in China but I need a good camera. Too many photo ops, too little time, and the Casio Exilim I have just doesn't do the job.

Just looking for experiences, thoughts, and ideas.

Thanks,

Slick
04-21-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When I joined the Navy and got stationed in Japan in 1984 I was eager to buy some extra camera gear to go with the AE-1 I was using at the time. Everybody advised me to wait until I got to Japan to buy stuff. After all, they make it here so it must be cheaper here.

It was bad advice in 1984 and it is still bad advice in 2007.
04-21-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
When I joined the Navy and got stationed in Japan in 1984 I was eager to buy some extra camera gear to go with the AE-1 I was using at the time. Everybody advised me to wait until I got to Japan to buy stuff. After all, they make it here so it must be cheaper here.

It was bad advice in 1984 and it is still bad advice in 2007.
Now that most of the gear are not made in Japan, especially true in the Pentax's land and Nikon's land as well.

They have migrated their lines to the SE Asia, where the labours are cheaper but still close to the Japan home.

Of course, one should not *wait* to go to Japan to buy. If you need the gear now, buy it now. If you will go to Asia soon, just buy if it is a real bargain. As I have said, if the price difference is small, it won't worth - especially consider that you would lose the warranty.

04-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can only quote my local experience, but I recently bought a K10D in Singapore, with a Pentax 18-55 lens, spare battery, 4GB SDHC card, camera bag and circular 1A filter, for a little under AUS$1,350. I'm not the world's best haggler so doubtless other people would have got a better deal. Best price I've seen in Australia for K10D + 18-55 lens only was just over AUS$1,500, although I won't say that's the best you can get either.

Maybe that helps as an indication? You can do the conversions to your own currency to see.
04-21-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Slick,
I have bought two (2) Pentax *ist DL cameras in Hong Kong in the last year, from Man Shing Photo in Mongkok. I believe the store Wing Shing is the same people.

I have had no problems and am happy with the purchases.

However, I would offer this word of advice before you start shopping for your camera.....DO YOUR HOMEWORK.
Know your prices and product and you will be ok.
Only accept products that are presented to you in sealed manufacturers packaging, DO NOT accept products wrapped in 'shrink wrap' plastic.

Good luck.
Grant
PS....don't be frightened to shop around, Stanley st in the City is another place to look.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 04-21-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: see PS
04-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I'll definitely end buying something while I'm here. I'm in Shanghai right now and I'm going to Zhongyuan at the end of the week for several months. I can't go that long without a good camera. I just need to be careful what I buy I guess. I haven't found much of a selection here yet but I haven't looked all that hard either.
04-30-2007, 06:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi All,

Just a quick update. I got antsy and pulled the trigger on a K10D and 18-55mm today. The only place I knew of in Shanghai was the Nanjing road area so the prices were going to be higher. I ended up paying around $1,200 for everything. It's more than I wanted to pay but I could get my hands on it today. I leave tomorrow for another job in a city much, much smaller so I figured this would be my last chance for a while. I can't be here without a good camera. There are too many things to shoot. The good news is I talked them down $300 or $400 so it could have been worse.The body was about $1100 and the lense was about $100. No package deals to be had and only 1 photot store I found carried Pentax. It was an interesting purchase. They took about 10 minutes to set the camera up the way I wanted and proved to me that everything worked properly.

What a camera!!!!! I can't believe how much I like it. I played around with it a little bit, downloaded the 1.20 firware and installed it. Now I need to learn more about the controls. There so much more than on my K110D. Also need to find a 70-300mm lense to go with it.

I'll post some pics in the appropriate forum of the area I bought the camera. It's an interesting place.

Slick