Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Oh-Oh - K10D Shot Craps Yesterday Evening

We have owned our K10D for almost exactly two years and it has provided excellent performance. Yesterday evening my wife was taking some snapshots and the camera "froze" twice. The top display appeared to work but I could not access menus and could not turn it off with the switch. I shut it down by removing the battery and it came back up momentarily, then froze again.

This happened twice, then the complete freeze stopped but the camera will not work in either autofocus mode. The menus are accessible, and everything else seems to be working but attempts to take a picture, with autofocus on, results in some lens noise (click) and you can feel the autofocus trying to work. I have removed the battery several times (and charged it) with similar results. On a couple of occasions the lens did focus once and stop. The camera will not fire while this occurs.

Manual focus operation seems normal.

Any one else out there have similar experience? ALSO, [/B][/B]are there any out there from the southeast Kansas area that own a K-10 or compatible auto lens? I would like to snap a lens on to see if this is a body or lens problem and help would be very much appreciated. This area of the state is not Pentax or camera shop rich.

05-17-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Never happened to me, but I would recommend you send it to Pentax.
05-17-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Broken. Needs fixing.
05-17-2009, 02:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try updating/reinstalling the firmware.

05-17-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Location: The 808 State: Hawaii. From Nikon to PENTAX to Canon to Pentax
Just out of curiosity, how many shutter counts are on the body??
05-17-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iNVision ART Quote
Just out of curiosity, how many shutter counts are on the body??
How do you tell? I have looked through menus and the manual. I have always suspected there was and "odometer" of sorts in there somewhere.

Also, I am going to try a firmware reload this morning.
05-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Brogan Quote
How do you tell? I have looked through menus and the manual. I have always suspected there was and "odometer" of sorts in there somewhere.

Also, I am going to try a firmware reload this morning.
Well, Firmware update doesn't seem to make a difference.

However, in fiddling after the update, I did notice one thing. If I set the focus mode into Manual (MF) and turn the focus ring to infinity; and then switch to autofocus one of two things will happen:

- The lens will autofocus once, or
- The ring will creep around in increments each time the button is pressed.

In neither case can I get the shutter to fire. It will fire in manual focus mode.

05-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

If you're in autofocus mode, the camera usually won't take a picture unless it can get a focus lock (do you see a blinking green hexagon in the viewfinder?--that indicates the focus can't lock on to anything).

Could be a problem with either the screw drive (the part on the camera that moves the focus ring of the lens) or the lens itself sounds like it might be "stuck" somehow.

Is this the kit lens (the 18-55mm zoom that comes with the camera)? Doesn't make a difference, but just wondering what lens. You're right though, that trying a different lens could help diagnose the problem, but I'm not in Kansas, so can't help you there!
05-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
With further fiddling, the few times the lens does achieve focus, it does fire. I, too, am wondering more and more about the lens. I put a couple of my old K-mounts on the camera just to play and they work fine....kinda like my old KX. The meter switch and adjustment is a little clumsy for one hand though.

But then I'm clumsy.
05-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Ron, I too think it might be the lens, however NYC is a bit far to go to test that out. However I do have one other thing you should check out. Make sure that all dials and knobs are securely on a particular setting and not 'in-between'. My K10D once was acting very weirdly, couldn't get it to meter properly at all. I tried everything, new SD card, different battery, shut the camera down for 24 hrs with the battery out, anything and everything I could think of didn't fix the problem. Then I noticed that the center weighted/spot/matrix metering lever was halfway between 'spot' and 'center weighted'. I made sure the lever was clearly on center weighted and the problem cleared. I've been since told by an electronics expert that many electronic systems won't work properly if all knobs levers and dials are clearly in detent positions. So check out the body and be sure that everything is in a detent position.

NaCl(good luck and let us know how you make out)H2O
05-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Brogan Quote
Well, Firmware update doesn't seem to make a difference.

However, in fiddling after the update, I did notice one thing. If I set the focus mode into Manual (MF) and turn the focus ring to infinity; and then switch to autofocus one of two things will happen:

- The lens will autofocus once, or
- The ring will creep around in increments each time the button is pressed.

In neither case can I get the shutter to fire. It will fire in manual focus mode.
This sounds like it might be contact problems. Every time I have had troubles with my MZ-S and FA or my K10D and DA, cleaning the contacts returned everything to normal. I use a microfiber cloth and alcohol to clean the contacts on the camera lens mount and the lens. Electronic equipment is very sensitive to slight voltage drops caused by a less than perfect connection.
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #12

Photos: Albums
wouldnt be a battery issue would it?

shelf life for lithiums i think is around 2 years... could just be dropping voltage low when operating the lens?

Thanks

Steve
05-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Canada Rockies - Cleaned contacts on body and lens last night. No change. If you turn ring to infinity in manual, you might get one focus in autofocus.

Steve - Going to check battery and lens in a few days. Have to make a trip to Wichita where we know there is a very competent camera shop with repair capability (Moler's). If not lens or battery we will let them keep it for repair.
05-19-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is it possible that you are not getting engagement of the autofocus screw drive.

This might explain things.

Also check and see if the lens is in MF or AF mode (there is a switch or focus collar setting on some lenses for this)