Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K10 Focus screen confusion

I've spent a lot of time reading up on the focus screen/manual aperture issue. From what I have read I've come up with the following:

- To get a proper exposure on a K10 I should get a focus screen from an *ist series camera
- any of the 60 series screens should work, and only the 60 series screens
- switching to the 60 series screens will cause an exposure error with full auto lenses

Am I correct? If I do this, how bad will the exposure error with auto lenses be? If I get it from an actual camera what models can I get it from?

05-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I only have one "auto" lens plus an "auto" Adaptall lens. Depending on the metering mode, I get accurate exposures across the board with the LI-60 screen.

You might as well just buy one from B&H cause if you buy an *ist, it'll probably come with a screen resembling the stock K10D LL-80 screen. Oh yeah...and *ist will run $200+, the screen only will be under $50.
05-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I only have one "auto" lens plus an "auto" Adaptall lens. Depending on the metering mode, I get accurate exposures across the board with the LI-60 screen.

You might as well just buy one from B&H cause if you buy an *ist, it'll probably come with a screen resembling the stock K10D LL-80 screen. Oh yeah...and *ist will run $200+, the screen only will be under $50.
Thanks for the input. I was actually looking for the one that looks stock. That would be the lf-60, correct?

Also, how much dimmer is the 60 series screen?
05-18-2009, 12:45 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a screen from a DS in my K10 for a while. I believe it has the same properties as the IL-60 screens. The results were:

Exposure with my old "K" and M lenses was now correct.

Exposure with any new lens with auto exposure (A;FA;DA etc) was still correct.

I did not notice the viewfinder being dimmer.

05-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The stock screen is an LF-80 (I think) so that would make the ist screen an LF-60.

The viewfinder is dimmer but in a good way. What you see is more "contrasty" and easier to focus with. Center averaged (or whatever it's called...the middle one) is very accurate with auto lenses. That plus Av is very nice
05-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I've spent a lot of time reading up on the focus screen/manual aperture issue. From what I have read I've come up with the following:

- To get a proper exposure on a K10 I should get a focus screen from an *ist series camera
Yes. I purchased the LL-60 grid screen, and my two M series lenses now meter correctly at all apertures.
QuoteQuote:
- any of the 60 series screens should work, and only the 60 series screens
Not sure about "only", but the LL-60 works like a charm.
QuoteQuote:
- switching to the 60 series screens will cause an exposure error with full auto lenses
Untrue. My DA and A lenses still expose correctly with the LL-60 screen.
QuoteQuote:
Am I correct? If I do this, how bad will the exposure error with auto lenses be? If I get it from an actual camera what models can I get it from?
I would go to eBay and buy it from japan camera store. That's where I got mine. They charge US$40 plus shipping. It came to about $55 total, delivered.