Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dynamic Range of K20D and K200D

Anyone knows about what is the DR of the k20 and K200D? I am not talking about extended/expanded DR option of K20 and, pseudo-HDR image creation mambo-jambo.

In one site I've seen K20 has 9 DR, highest among same class cameras. But I've never seen an official info about DR's of both cameras.

Best wishes.

Last edited by cbaytan; 05-17-2009 at 02:00 AM.
05-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
AGW
Inactive Account

Don't know the answer, but you sure do have some wonderful photos in your gallery.

Al
05-17-2009, 05:27 AM   #3

Re: Dynamic Range

You have to be careful comparing claims of dynamic range. DR is the number of stops from the darkest to brightest portion of a scene that the camera can capture.

Digital cameras saturate rather sharply on the bright end of the curve. So that point is easily measured.

However, the shadow side of the response curve typically slowly tails off into the noise. There are almost as many definitions of the darkest point as there are people measuring! And each one gives a different DR measurement.
05-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

One of the guys on the PDML measured the K10 at (IIRC) 11 stops at ISO 100, dropping to 9 stops at ISO 1600.
It's pretty much as wide, if not somewhat wider than colour print films.
I think the K20 has a bit wider DR, but this is a gut feeling from using both cameras, I haven't actually measured it.

05-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edhannon Quote
You have to be careful comparing claims of dynamic range. DR is the number of stops from the darkest to brightest portion of a scene that the camera can capture.

Digital cameras saturate rather sharply on the bright end of the curve. So that point is easily measured.

However, the shadow side of the response curve typically slowly tails off into the noise. There are almost as many definitions of the darkest point as there are people measuring! And each one gives a different DR measurement.
Thanks for the explanation, as you figured out, I meant "the ratio between the maximum and minimum measurable light intensities calculated as stops" as DR here (or maximum exposure latitude), there is no information in here and in google for K20 and K200 unlike some other cameras say Canon 5D results given, it has 9.2 stops at most.

Dynamic range tests of Canon EOS 5D camera

Really curious about our machines capabilities.

Best wishes.
Can.
05-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

According to DXOMark it's about 10.7 stops.

DXOMark - K20D
05-18-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
According to DXOMark it's about 10.7 stops.

DXOMark - K20D
Thanks for the link,

11.4 for K200D, but in what setting site doesn't tell. Practically if I knew the information I would taken into account when deeper DR is needed. Actually I don't understand why people is not curious about the subject as me.

Best wishes.
Can.
05-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Well I'm curious about this. Have always been. I use HDR bracketing/enfuse for almost all landscapes with bright sky & darkish lower part of the scene. Tonemapping could be done from one RAW with great results if one can salvage enough details from the original file. With K20D this often results in severe banding for highlights area whereas a camera which has, let's say, 13.4 DR in DxO terms allows for that little extra kick in both hightlights and shadows. Dunno why other manufacturers are not after similar solutions what Fuji uses with their S5 Pro DSLR.

05-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Thanks for the link,

11.4 for K200D, but in what setting site doesn't tell. Practically if I knew the information I would taken into account when deeper DR is needed. Actually I don't understand why people is not curious about the subject as me.
They have detailed graphs with DR at each ISO. The K20D DR is slightly disapointing and it's probably something that will be improved on the K-7.