Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2007, 03:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Ahh yes. But the menu system on that thing is a dream to use compared to the k100d's. Probably the only thing that slows me down when jumping between the two.
Oh.. Yes.

Actually, many users of the *ist DS/DL have reflected that the flash menu under the Fn menu is virtually useless, but Pentax just didn't and don't listen..

04-21-2007, 04:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Oh.. Yes.

Actually, many users of the *ist DS/DL have reflected that the flash menu under the Fn menu is virtually useless, but Pentax just didn't and don't listen..
What i would prefer to see there is FEC. I know its not that hard to get to it through the menu, but to put it with the Fn menu would be marvelous.
04-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Ok, let's say you're browsing a photo in the playback menu. Woudln't it be faster to press FN once instead of exiting out of the menu first?
I'm still not getting it. One button press either way, right?
04-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Pls don't go off-topic. Do also note that this thread is not started by me for the "whining" you have referred to.
How about learn to use multiquote then so you don't make reply after reply unnecessarily. And you're right, the thread isn't started by you for a whine, so what're you doing whining in someone else's thread about a simple question of what the purpose of a button is.

Off-topic... it's a forum. It happens.

04-21-2007, 04:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The four-way buttons are also used to scroll around images in preview display when you're zoomed in on them. The Fn button makes perfect sense just as it is.
Let me rephrase, then. What if the Fn button were left exactly as it is, but instead of being "dead" keys in record mode with autofocus set to center, the directional keys would require the Fn press first?
04-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
How about learn to use multiquote then so you don't make reply after reply unnecessarily. And you're right, the thread isn't started by you for a whine, so what're you doing whining in someone else's thread about a simple question of what the purpose of a button is.

Off-topic... it's a forum. It happens.
I suggest you to re-read the opening post again. The OP is not asking a question actually, he raises a comment about the indirect access of commonly used functions via the Fn button/menu, which is not desirable.

Do note the subject is that he asks "what's the point" (which he implies that the design has no point), so I answered that the only point is for a customise-able functions under the Fn menu (but then which is non-existent for our Pentax DSLRs so far).
04-21-2007, 05:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Let me rephrase, then. What if the Fn button were left exactly as it is, but instead of being "dead" keys in record mode with autofocus set to center, the directional keys would require the Fn press first?
I never move the set point off center and I focus manually, so perhaps I'm not quite understanding the question.....What would be the point of requiring the Fn press first?
04-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Hi all,

Well, I bought the K10D and I was surprised by that button, because I already new it by my fujifilm 5600. I don't think the button is complicated. After some use we don't have to think on him.
Comparing with other cameras the thing I would love to see on my camera is that wonderfull back dial like the canon 30D.

Anyway..., It's not a big deal. I think the pentax still got plus things over other brands.

Regards,
Palu

04-21-2007, 05:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I never move the set point off center and I focus manually, so perhaps I'm not quite understanding the question.....What would be the point of requiring the Fn press first?
Uh, that's because I said it backwards this time around. Should have been:

Let me rephrase, then. What if the Fn button were left exactly as it is, but instead of being "dead" keys in record mode with autofocus set to center, the directional keys would not require the Fn press first?
04-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Palu Guimaraes Quote
Comparing with other cameras the thing I would love to see on my camera is that wonderfull back dial like the canon 30D.
The K10D also has two-dial operation. But yes, it's the same basic concept: quicker access via direct buttons rather than fiddling in menus.

QuoteQuote:
Anyway..., It's not a big deal. I think the pentax still got plus things over other brands.
Well, obviously. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved -- who cares what the other brands do?
04-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Perhaps there is a setting for this that I just am not finding. On the K100D, the four-way controller doesn't do anything unless you first press the Fn button -- at that point, you can then change white balance, ISO, etc. Is there a reason for this extra step? Why not just have the appropriate functions pop up when you hit the buttons directly? Since you then have to press other things to make your choice take effect, I don't think avoiding accidental presses is very compelling -- is there something else?
Well, while you are at it, what is the Fn button for on the original istD?

Doesn't seem like it has any function is shooting mode.

Thanks
04-21-2007, 10:01 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But I don't want the 4-way button to do change settings around, as for me it changes the focus spot position. And I definitely do occasionally hit it accidentally so would be changing settings without knowing it. I like it the way it is.
04-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What i would really like to see in the next firmware release for the k100d, is the custom setting to set what the d-pad buttons do when you press the Fn button.

Like i said before, the flash menu is just a waste of space in there and it should be replaced with something more useful, like FEC or image quality settings.
04-22-2007, 03:16 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
But I don't want the 4-way button to do change settings around, as for me it changes the focus spot position. And I definitely do occasionally hit it accidentally so would be changing settings without knowing it. I like it the way it is.
Well, it makes sense to make it optional, and the focus-select mode would override. But I don't think you would change things accidentally as often as all that, because as I noted in the opening post, a single button press doesn't change anything -- once you press fn, then the directional button, you still have to press more buttons to pick your options.
04-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #30
Forum Member

I think one advantage of the extra button press is that it helps avoid things accidentally getting changed. I know some one who uses a Rebel XT and has complained that on a few occasions while carrying the camera around he has bumped the self timer button and when he goes to take a picture it seems like it's not working as the timer is counting down.