Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k100 "fn" button -- what's the point?

Perhaps there is a setting for this that I just am not finding. On the K100D, the four-way controller doesn't do anything unless you first press the Fn button -- at that point, you can then change white balance, ISO, etc. Is there a reason for this extra step? Why not just have the appropriate functions pop up when you hit the buttons directly? Since you then have to press other things to make your choice take effect, I don't think avoiding accidental presses is very compelling -- is there something else?

04-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 4-way pad has so many uses that the FN button was necessary to avoid confusion. Don't forget that it's also used to adjust the AF point in SEL mode.

Oh, and it's used to access the debug menu

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The D-pad (4-way switch) is used when you're in the focus point mode where you choose what focus point it uses on the K10D. It does seem a little unnecessary but I've gotten into a rhythm with the camera now, have no issues flying through the menus.
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I guess it's to avoid confusion and an easy transition from reviewing an image to taking the shot. Personally, I find the button very convenient.
Wait, what's convenient about an extra button press?

QuoteQuote:
Also, it's used to access the debug menu
Well, they could just label it "debug".

04-20-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
The D-pad (4-way switch) is used when you're in the focus point mode where you choose what focus point it uses on the K10D. It does seem a little unnecessary but I've gotten into a rhythm with the camera now, have no issues flying through the menus.
Ahh, why so it does. Well, that makes sense at least. It'd be nice to have the option of making the 4-way buttons just do their Fn-thing when focus point mode is set to auto or to center (which is where I had it). Maybe in a future firmware update. With my previous camera I found it a lot easier to do center-focus-lock-and-recompose than to mess with moving the focus point around, so I'm pretty much in that habit; I'll have to experiment with the K100D's system to see how it works/feels.

Having the OK button display current auto-ISO is nice (not as nice as just having it displayed, but oh well), but I think with move-the-dot autofocusing the return-to-center functionality would be even more useful. Which do you use?
04-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Wait, what's convenient about an extra button press?

Well, they could just label it "debug".
As I said, it's convenient to have so you know what you're doing as opposed to randomly pressing the 4-way pad and desperately exiting out of menus to get the the FN feature.

The debug menu is supposed to be a secret

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As I said, it's convenient to have so you know what you're doing as opposed to randomly pressing the 4-way pad and desperately exiting out of menus to get the the FN feature.
Well, I'm all for it being optional. Are you basically saying that if they did this, they'd also have to silkscreen explanatory icons next to each button? I'm sorry if I'm being dense -- I think I must honestly not understand you. I don't get why "randomly" comes into it.

My wife's Fuji digicam works basically exactly as I described -- for example, you press the right directional button to cycle through the flash modes. I don't think I've ever been confused by that, let alone wish I had to push another unrelated button to activate the button first.

04-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Perhaps there is a setting for this that I just am not finding. On the K100D, the four-way controller doesn't do anything unless you first press the Fn button -- at that point, you can then change white balance, ISO, etc. Is there a reason for this extra step? Why not just have the appropriate functions pop up when you hit the buttons directly? Since you then have to press other things to make your choice take effect, I don't think avoiding accidental presses is very compelling -- is there something else?
I feel the same and as Canon and Olympus are designing their DSLRs like what you suggest, for the sake of direct access.

Unless Pentax make the items under Fn buttons customisable in the custom menu, it is totally meaningless. Say, if I don't want to see the flash option by replace it with the metering option instead.. (but Pentax have never offered us this flexibility, have they?)
04-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Well, I'm all for it being optional. Are you basically saying that if they did this, they'd also have to silkscreen explanatory icons next to each button? I'm sorry if I'm being dense -- I think I must honestly not understand you. I don't get why "randomly" comes into it.

My wife's Fuji digicam works basically exactly as I described -- for example, you press the right directional button to cycle through the flash modes. I don't think I've ever been confused by that, let alone wish I had to push another unrelated button to activate the button first.
Ok, let's say you're browsing a photo in the playback menu. Woudln't it be faster to press FN once instead of exiting out of the menu first?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I feel the same and as Canon and Olympus are designing their DSLRs like what you suggest, for the sake of direct access.

Unless Pentax make the items under Fn buttons customisable in the custom menu, it is totally meaningless. Say, if I don't want to see the flash option by replace it with the metering option instead.. (but Pentax have never offered us this flexibility, have they?)
Pentax offers quite a bit of flexibility, especially considering their long lineup of lenses. The problem resides with their marketing department, which can never seem to get the right products out at the right time.

Adam

04-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the fact that you have to press the Fn button to change iso etc, all too often have i accidentally hit a button on the d-pad on my 400d and ended up changing the white balance or iso.

Then i dont find out about changing them until after ive taken the shot. Such a pain when you only get one chance to shoot something.
04-21-2007, 12:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ok, let's say you're browsing a photo in the playback menu. Woudln't it be faster to press FN once instead of exiting out of the menu first?

Pentax offers quite a bit of flexibility, especially considering their long lineup of lenses. The problem resides with their marketing department, which can never seem to get the right products out at the right time.
For that flexibility I want, I refer to a customise-able Fn menu for what the four button or even five (include the Ok button) can do for us.
04-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
For that flexibility I want, I refer to a customise-able Fn menu for what the four button or even five (include the Ok button) can do for us.
Do you ever stop whining? As nice as it would be, companies do not exist to service your exact wants & needs. I'd much rather a fixed menu layout rather than, say, Olympus' stupid Four-Thirds mount or Canon's downright nasty 400D/Rebel XTi build & ergonomics.
04-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The four-way buttons are also used to scroll around images in preview display when you're zoomed in on them. The Fn button makes perfect sense just as it is.
04-21-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Canon's downright nasty 400D/Rebel XTi build & ergonomics.
Ahh yes. But the menu system on that thing is a dream to use compared to the k100d's. Probably the only thing that slows me down when jumping between the two.
04-21-2007, 03:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Do you ever stop whining? As nice as it would be, companies do not exist to service your exact wants & needs. I'd much rather a fixed menu layout rather than, say, Olympus' stupid Four-Thirds mount or Canon's downright nasty 400D/Rebel XTi build & ergonomics.
Pls don't go off-topic. Do also note that this thread is not started by me for the "whining" you have referred to.