Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Considering a body downgrade--have I lost my mind?

I've got a friend of mine who's interested in buying my K200 off of me. The main reason that I'm considering selling it is that I would like to pick up something smaller for a everyday shooter/carry-around/backup-to-the-K20 body. I've been leaning towards picking up a K2000, but there's a part of me that really doesn't want to spend that kind of money for a backup body, especially since the K200 I currently have doesn't get used all that much to begin with. The K2000 is lacking one feature that I've grown to love on my K20--a plug for the cable release. The thought of picking up DS or DS2 has crossed my mind--not only do I get the cable release plug, but I get a pentaprism viewfinder to boot. Of course, I lose SR, dust sensor, and megapixels, but I figure that it's a backup camera.

Have I truly lost my mind?

Thanks!
Heather

05-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, Heather, if you've lost your mind so have I. My K20D back up is an ist *DS. It's a nice little camera, I've got well over 10K clicks on it. After using the K20D I'm amazed at how small and light it is. My only gripes are no front e-dial, and it's a bit...er...slow. There is a slight but noticable lag between when you push the shutter and when the camera actually goes 'click'. It also takes longer for the files to write. But other than those niggles it's a really nice camera. At one point b4 I got my K10D I was considering an upgrade to the K100D (the K10D had just come out and was beyond me price wise) I played with one for a while and seriously considered it because I was lusting mightly after SR, but I eventually passed. The reason? The pentamirror viewfinder. Noticably darker than the DS. It was a big enough difference to be a deal breaker for me. The DS is a great little camera

NaCl(and with a pancake lens it is small enough to fit in a jacket pocket)H2O
05-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

Thanks!
Heather
I don't know - when did you see it last?

I love the *ist series - my backup is a DL, but I use it nearly as often as my other cameras. That 6MP sensor is magic - I'll never get rid of it, regardless of what my 'main' body happens to be. You might miss the SR with long/slow lenses, but hey - we don't have SR on film bodies either, do we?
05-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got a friend of mine who's interested in buying my K200 off of me. The main reason that I'm considering selling it is that I would like to pick up something smaller for a everyday shooter/carry-around/backup-to-the-K20 body. I've been leaning towards picking up a K2000, but there's a part of me that really doesn't want to spend that kind of money for a backup body, especially since the K200 I currently have doesn't get used all that much to begin with. The K2000 is lacking one feature that I've grown to love on my K20--a plug for the cable release. The thought of picking up DS or DS2 has crossed my mind--not only do I get the cable release plug, but I get a pentaprism viewfinder to boot. Of course, I lose SR, dust sensor, and megapixels, but I figure that it's a backup camera.

Thanks!
Heather
What about a K100D? I don't know if it is the same size as the K200D.

I picked up on at a Ritz store that was closing at a heckuva deal.($209)

05-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd be another one in the 'lost mind' category too...
Had considered going up to the K20D to make my K10D a backup, although I was quite happy with my K10D already and didn't necessarily need to have all the new features of the K20D, so went with the old *ist D for <$200 with grip.

Couldn't be happier for value for money. Though certainly not as user friendly as the K10D, still has all of the essential features. Then again, it does have that very small screen, which the *ist DSs improved on. No I don't think you've lost your marbles.... yet!
05-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Actually, the very first Pentax DSLR I had was a DS--I sold it to get the K10. Ever since, I've kind-of missed it's nice little size, especially for traveling. As for the IQ, I was pleased with it.

An example taken with my first DS:

To answer the question about the size difference between a K100 and a K200, there is a good bit of difference, at least in the weight:
K100: 19.8 oz. (without batteries or SD card) 5.1 x 3.6 x 2.8"
K200: 22.2 oz 5.2 x 3.7 x 2.9"

Compared to the DS at 17.8 oz. (empty) and 4.9 x 3.6 x 2.6" ...

...and the K20 at 25.2 oz. (empty) and 5.6 x 4.0 x 2.76"

If I had $200 to spend right now, I'd snatch up one of the DS's currently in the marketplace. With the sale of the K200, I could buy the DS + have some cash left over to put towards other things.

Now I need to see for sure if my friend still wants to buy the K200.

Heather
05-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Coming from the 100D to the 20D i LOATHE using my 100D now. It's sooooooo sloooooooooow, I need to menu dig to change the ISO (sheer madness) and did I mention SLOOOOOOWWWW. Dear god i shoot a raw image and I could bake muffins before the image displays on the lcd.

I'd say get the km bu tno cable release? You jest surely?
05-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #8

Why not try an ist D, not DS/DS2? You get that front e-dial and you don't need to go into menus to change the ISO. Of course it runs on CF cards instead of FD, but really, is taht much of a disadvantage?

05-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's human nature...
off with the old, on with the new, never to look back again.
But unless one's relying on the cam's fps and quick menu setting ability, the K100D's still a nifty little cam.
05-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
Why not try an ist D, not DS/DS2? You get that front e-dial and you don't need to go into menus to change the ISO. Of course it runs on CF cards instead of FD, but really, is taht much of a disadvantage?
It's a really nice camera (I can attest) but it does have that smaller screen, CF cards and the front e-dial is not as useful as I first thought.

Unless I'm mistaken (pls correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, and I'd be really glad), but I'm sure that the front e-dial can't be used to do anything in Av/Tv mode - you can't customise it (like the K10D/K20D) to adjust ISO for example. So you actually have to dial up the ISO mode on the left mode wheel before you can adjust it - that's my one pet peeve of the *ist D.

Otherwise a steller 6Mp performer.
05-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As for the CF issue with the ist D, I know that there are such animals as SD to CF card converters--you slide the SD card into the converter and the converter goes into the camera like a regular CF card. Since the D is so old, I doubt that they'd work with my SDHC cards, though.

As for the 1 vs 2 edials, while I like the convenience of having 2 dials on the K20, I can deal with having only 1 dial on my backup body. As it stands, my K200 has only one dial and I'm OK with it. Using the menu to change the ISO isn't a big deal for me, either.

Heather
05-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Coming from the 100D to the 20D i LOATHE using my 100D now. It's sooooooo sloooooooooow, I need to menu dig to change the ISO (sheer madness) and did I mention SLOOOOOOWWWW. Dear god i shoot a raw image and I could bake muffins before the image displays on the lcd.

I'd say get the km bu tno cable release? You jest surely?
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
It's human nature...
off with the old, on with the new, never to look back again.
But unless one's relying on the cam's fps and quick menu setting ability, the K100D's still a nifty little cam.
Yes I agree it aint like my K10D.

It is slow when it comes to just about everything compared.

It has a small buffer.

But it is a backup and I am considering using it to travel with.

I love the small lightweight size, even though I have big hands.

I can live with the sloooooooow features of the camera.

The K10D really shines as a "pro" camera and I apprecate it that much more.

My only real gripe is the playback features; it lacks the ability to show the actual folders like the K10 does unless I am doing somthing wrong.
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update--I finally got my K200 sold; a friend of mine bought it for her husband for Father's Day. He's been wanting a DSLR and I had let him play with the K200 on one occasion sometime back and he really liked it. Right now, he thinks he's going to be buying it off of me sometime later on this year, so he'll be quite surprised when his wife presents to him much sooner than he expected. I just got my first Pentax convert (from the p&s world) and I feel really good! I've told him about this forum, so I hope he'll be joining us shortly after he gets his camera.

I managed to snag myself a good deal on a DS from another forum member--it should be arriving on Thursday. I look forward to having another smaller body.

Heather
06-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Sorry, just saw your post...you bought a DS.

Well Heather, I don't think you've lost your mind. I have a K10D and just bought a KM...same thing as a K2000.

I love that KM...the LCD is very bright, the camera is a wonderful photographic tool...I use it as a daily carry around and as a supplement to my K10D body.

If you were to consider the KM (K2000) you would get SR, same megapixel count as the K10D (10.2), dust reduction.

The 18-55 kit lens is great, no complaints about the pictures, except it has a plastic mount and no lens hood.
06-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I managed to snag myself a good deal on a DS from another forum member--it should be arriving on Thursday. I look forward to having another smaller body.

Heather
Congratulations, Heather! Add a 40mm DA Limited to that DS and you'll have one really tiny, high quality kit. I may have to buy another just to have a backup for my backup.

If only it were that easy to change my own body size...